Happy Birthday Presto

Crimsonmistymemory

Anyone of you posers want to go with me and debate RUSH, I am ready.

You're f***ing nuts Earl ! In the good sense, I mean. I imagine your debates like this...

Earl: Presto is awesome and you just don't get it.

Random Rush fan: Clearly, their talent is still on display here. I just don't like it all that much.

Earl: Well, you're f***ing wrong!

RRfan: About what? I just don't like it.

Earl: I don't know what you're wrong about! But you are!

RRfan: ???

Earl: See?! You're wrong!!!

I also imagine you as this guy...

http://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/hudson-aliens-05032011.jpg

"Game over man! Game over!!!"

Oh. And obviously, I'm Hicks always trying to knock some sense into you. But it never really works. :LOL:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

I wanna be more like Earl.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/8-05-2015/WNyLSx.gif

• Like 2

Anyone of you posers want to go with me and debate RUSH, I am ready.

You're f***ing nuts Earl ! In the good sense, I mean. I imagine your debates like this...

Earl: Presto is awesome and you just don't get it.

Random Rush fan: Clearly, their talent is still on display here. I just don't like it all that much.

Earl: Well, you're f***ing wrong!

RRfan: About what? I just don't like it.

Earl: I don't know what you're wrong about! But you are!

RRfan: ???

Earl: See?! You're wrong!!!

I also imagine you as this guy...

http://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/hudson-aliens-05032011.jpg

"Game over man! Game over!!!"

Oh. And obviously, I'm Hicks always trying to knock some sense into you. But it never really works. :LOL:

Hahahahaha! You are amazing BLAZE! EPIC POST!!!!

Yes!

I will challenge any poser Rush fan who hates this record.

They are probably the same sniveling little baby Rush fan in poo poo diapers who worship "Vapor Trails."

Makes sense though because I can't make sense of their logic and ideals based on some Canadian trio from Toronto.

No bueno amigo.

PRESTO RULES!

BRING IT ON!

"SUPERCONDUCTOR!" MORE COWBELL!

Signed,

Will Ferrell Mutha Fukka!

Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal.

I prefer "Middletown Dreams" yet the average Simpleton Wet Dream Rush fan loves "Vapor Trails."

I don't get it.

I suppose and I am only guessing that Rush fans who adore and anally explore "Vapor Trails" are the ones who despise the Rush "Synth" years.

I then suppose that these same fake Rush fans love sonic distortion and chaos deeply performed within their naive one Rush wonder album lust.

I on the other hand embrace MELODIC RUSH.

Melody is the key to any musical bliss. JMO

"PRESTO" is 100 percent melody and beauty.

The keyboard on "Red Tide" is enough to make a grown man cry.

Luckily I'm still Peter Pan, so I am a boy who won't cry.

"Boys Don't Cry" Rush Fan Posers! You Presto Haters need to seek serious treatment and meds.

Love,

THE CURE

• Like 2

I love your passion about Presto RUSHHEAD666.

But they recorded two absolute stinkers on Presto....just two.

Superconductor - (despite the obvious intentional approach of the song it fell flat for me big time)

Anagram (For Mongo) - One of the very few Rush songs which absolutely sucks balls badly.

Other than those tunes when I give Presto it's annual spin I enjoy everything else.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

BTW.....Available Light is one of my fav Rush Closing tracks.

brilliant.

Mick

My favorite tune on the album.

• Like 2

I prefer "Middletown Dreams" yet the average Simpleton Wet Dream Rush fan loves "Vapor Trails."

I don't get it.

I suppose and I am only guessing that Rush fans who adore and anally explore "Vapor Trails" are the ones who despise the Rush "Synth" years.

I then suppose that these same fake Rush fans love sonic distortion and chaos deeply performed within their naive one Rush wonder album lust.

"Boys Don't Cry" Rush Fan Posers! You Presto Haters need to seek serious treatment and meds.

Love,

THE CURE

Erm...I aforenthe synth era with passion...and VT is top five for me!

I love your passion about Presto RUSHHEAD666.

But they recorded two absolute stinkers on Presto....just two.

Superconductor - (despite the obvious intentional approach of the song it fell flat for me big time)

Anagram (For Mongo) - One of the very few Rush songs which absolutely sucks balls badly.

Other than those tunes when I give Presto it's annual spin I enjoy everything else.

Thanks man! Just trying to keep things entertaining! As I can see your take on "Superconductor" I still love the song. Lyrically? Ok surely not one of the strongest. "Anagram" however WOW! HOLY SHIT!" An anagram from SHIT is "HIT!" I love "Anagram!" Lyrcially genius. Musically hooky baby! Well I did major in English so perhaps I am biased to Neil's tongue in cheek anagram lyrical content. I LOVE IT!

• Like 1

I don't get it.

Love,

THE CURE

Erm...I aforenthe synth era with passion...and VT is top five for me!

TOP FIVE? TOP JIVE!!!!

• Like 1

BTW.....Available Light is one of my fav Rush Closing tracks.

brilliant.

Mick

My favorite tune on the album.

"Available Light" is one of the greatest Rush songs amongst a plethora of brilliant song writing and luscious, illuminating lyrics by the world's greatest band. Does that make sense?

• Like 2

not one of my favorites or one I pull out often but it's got some great material. I have the usual complaint that everyone else has that it lacks balls. and not in the way the prior albums lacked balls - the production matches the material, but presto has some songs that should sound a lot heavier than they ended up sounding

Like which ones? Remember, their last studio album before that was Hold Your Fire so it's not like they'd been doing heavy tunes in the few years prior

Show don't tell, superconductor. Both songs that should sound heavier but end up sounding like sonic the hedgehog menu music. Obviously I'd never complain about the synth stuff not sounding heavy enough because it's not meant to sound heavy. but if you're going for a heavier, more guitar-based sound, which they were on presto, they should've used a production style that matched.

I also find some early rush production made a lot of songs sound not as heavy as they should've sounded, especially on 2112. thank god we have all the worlds a stage

I really enjoy Presto. Lyrically, it is full of great imagery. While the music is generally light, it is still skillfully executed and interesting. Neil's drumming especially. And it marked a departure from the keyboard-dominated sound. That alone puts it in a special place among their catalog for me.

I agree. When it first came out, I was like "Oh man, what is this? Pretty soon they are going to release an album full of Barry Manilow covers." These days, it's a great traveling album, especially on long roadies across Texas (but then again, there's really no such thing as a short roadie if you live in Texas or any place between the Mississippi and the Sierra Nevada chain!)

Over the years I have grown to really appreciate the album. There are a couple of dogs on it..... Superconductor is the Rush song I dislike as much as every Steely Dan and Foreigner song ever put together.... yet it also has some songs that I just love (Show Don't Tell, The Pass, War Paint, Presto, Anagram).

And, yes, I very much appreciate a good bit of the lyrical imagery. Neil seemed to have stepped outside himself with that album.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

I really enjoy Presto. Lyrically, it is full of great imagery. While the music is generally light, it is still skillfully executed and interesting. Neil's drumming especially. And it marked a departure from the keyboard-dominated sound. That alone puts it in a special place among their catalog for me.

I agree. When it first came out, I was like "Oh man, what is this? Pretty soon they are going to release an album full of Barry Manilow covers." These days, it's a great traveling album, especially on long roadies across Texas (but then again, there's really no such thing as a short roadie if you live in Texas or any place between the Mississippi and the Sierra Nevada chain!)

Over the years I have grown to really appreciate the album. There are a couple of dogs on it..... Superconductor is the Rush song I dislike as much as every Steely Dan and Foreigner song ever put together.... yet it also has some songs that I just love (Show Don't Tell, The Pass, War Paint, Presto, Anagram).

And, yes, I very much appreciate a good bit of the lyrical imagery. Neil seemed to have stepped outside himself with that album.

So glad I am not alone in disliking Steely Dan!

Ignoring the Foreigner remark haha!

not one of my favorites or one I pull out often but it's got some great material. I have the usual complaint that everyone else has that it lacks balls. and not in the way the prior albums lacked balls - the production matches the material, but presto has some songs that should sound a lot heavier than they ended up sounding

Like which ones? Remember, their last studio album before that was Hold Your Fire so it's not like they'd been doing heavy tunes in the few years prior

Show don't tell, superconductor. Both songs that should sound heavier but end up sounding like sonic the hedgehog menu music. Obviously I'd never complain about the synth stuff not sounding heavy enough because it's not meant to sound heavy. but if you're going for a heavier, more guitar-based sound, which they were on presto, they should've used a production style that matched.

I also find some early rush production made a lot of songs sound not as heavy as they should've sounded, especially on 2112. thank god we have all the worlds a stage

I guess you could argue that it was Rupert Hine's fault...at least partly. Looking back, Hine had done the soundtrack for the classic comedy Better Off Dead just a few years before. Funny movie...but the soundtrack to that doesn't exactly make me think "hard rock Rush album next".

I guess you could argue that it was Rupert Hine's fault...at least partly. Looking back, Hine had done the soundtrack for the classic comedy Better Off Dead just a few years before. Funny movie...but the soundtrack to that doesn't exactly make me think "hard rock Rush album next".

Hey, it's got that cheeseburger dancing to van halen. That's pretty heavy

Presto sent me on my Rush journey...Happy Birthday Presto! :clap: A wave of the magic wand to you.

I agree. It piggy-backed on MP and Signals in my initial discovery and showed me a band could be a chameleon and still be beautifully engaging. Yes, the production's tinny, but the melodies are memorable and the lyrics touched with emotional poignancy and beautiful imagery. The title track's outro is one of the more awesome in the Rush catalog. "Scars"' atmospherics are simply, well, atmospheric.