So....Lets Talk About Dreamline...

presto123

Whether you are a fan of Roll The Bones, Hate it, or are indifferent, most people have to admit that Dreamline is a sparkling gem on this record. After listening to it tonight, I realized that it is a song I NEVER get tired of. It flows better than any Rush song I can think of. I get burnt out by Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit, Subdivisions, and practically every classic Rush song, but I never tire of Dreamline. There has to be something said for that. My ONLY complaint is that I wish the album solo was twice the length like the one Alex plays live. What are your thoughts on this classic Rush track? (best track of the 90's) haha
  • Like 6

Back then it was the song that made me want to see Rush live again that year. From then, on, I saw them every tour. Rather than Rush be a 'sometimes' band.

That's Dreamline, for me.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Don't really like that album, Rush's worst IMHO. Dreamline is just 1 of 3 songs that I like on it. The rest are in the tolerable OR dislike categories.

Also, I thought it was weird that the RTB video was on MTV enough times but Rush didn't even have one made for Dreamline. Good tune.

• Like 1

Dreamline isn't a fave.

I prefer both the title track and The Big Wheel by a wide a margin.

• Like 1

For that particular era it stands out bigtime as an excellent tune. Live, it only gets better. It's one of those special tunes that really brings the fans in and not all songs just have "it" when it comes to the ability to do just that. The rest of RTB could go away to be frank and it wouldn't bother me a bit. The title track is a bit of fun live but if it never existed it wouldn't keep me up at night... Edited by Narps
  • Like 5

It's probably the best song on Roll The Bones, but that's not saying much. Roll The Bones is Rush's worst album in my opinion, and Dreamline is kind of an average Rush song. It's good, but I wouldn't compare it to gems like Limelight, Freewill or Animate.

It's probably the best song on Roll The Bones, but that's not saying much. Roll The Bones is Rush's worst album in my opinion, and Dreamline is kind of an average Rush song. It's good, but I wouldn't compare it to gems like Limelight, Freewill or Animate.

Animate?

:wtf:

• Like 2

Animate?

Animate. ;)

• Like 3

Animate?

Animate. ;)

One of their worst songs musically, and some of the dumbest lyrics. And just about the only one that didn't get better live.

Animate?

Animate. ;)

One of their worst songs musically, and some of the dumbest lyrics. And just about the only one that didn't get better live.

Agree with that last sentence. Strongly disagree with "one of their worst songs musically". And though I don't think the lyrics are "dumb", I can only say they're okay. Free Will and Limelight are home runs while Animate might be a double in the Blaze League of Rush songs. :blaze: :blaze:

Animate?

Animate. ;)

Agree with that last sentence. Strongly disagree with "one of their worst songs musically". And though I don't think the lyrics are "dumb", I can only say they're okay. Free Will and Limelight are home runs while Animate might be a double in the Blaze League of Rush songs. :blaze: :blaze:

Meh, to me it's a 6-3. Stick It Out on the other hand is a 5-4-3 with the bases loaded.

It's dissonant rather than melodic...and that's the type of music I don't find appealing.

Animate?

Animate. ;)

Meh, to me it's a 6-3. Stick It Out on the other hand is a 5-4-3 with the bases loaded.

It's dissonant rather than melodic...and that's the type of music I don't find appealing.

Stick It Out is this and as bad as Lick It Up as far as I am concerned. An embarrassment to be honest...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unassisted_triple_play

• Like 1

I like or love everything on Counterparts except Stick It Out.

I hate that song so much it is impossible to explain. One of the worst, ugliest vocals I have ever heard is on that track. For all the flack Geddy gets for sounding weak on CA live, this one is by far the nastiest, most abhorrent and disgustingly painful listening experiences I have ever had listening to a song.

Stick It Out is a song I hate so much it almost tarnishes my view of Rush as a band, and the praise it gets is inexplicably stupid. If it played live and I was there, I would set the stage on fire.

Hate is a strong word. But not strong enough, for just how much I hate that song.

But the rest of the album is enough to redeem it for me.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

There is not a bad song on Counterparts except The Speed of Love.

:rage:

Are you mad because I said there was only one bad song on Counterparts or that I said The Speed of Love is bad? :P

There is not a bad song on Counterparts except The Speed of Love.

:rage:

Are you mad because I said there was only one bad song on Counterparts or that I said The Speed of Love is bad? :P

Yes, it's because you insulted one of the greatest songs of all time! :smoke: