Frank Zappa Thread

Bigbobby10

Listened to One Size Fits All today... what a great album. His guitar work really hit its stride mid-'70's to early '80's.

Yep. 71-81. The height of inventiveness (pun intended), tone and creativity. He did play some raging solos in 84 and some very plaintive melancholy stuff in '88 but those years are the absolute peak of his playing.

Never heard all of Sleep Dirt until today... wow. :clap:

The original, didn't know there was another version.

Listened to One Size Fits All today... what a great album. His guitar work really hit its stride mid-'70's to early '80's.

Yep. 71-81. The height of inventiveness (pun intended), tone and creativity. He did play some raging solos in 84 and some very plaintive melancholy stuff in '88 but those years are the absolute peak of his playing.

Never heard all of Sleep Dirt until today... wow. :clap:

The original, didn't know there was another version.

The remixed cd version had vocals overdubbed to 2 of its tracks and there are new drum tracks on a few of the songs. I like them both, especially the Ocean is the Ultimate Solution. completely epic track.

I feel like I need to listen to Zappa again, I can never tell if he is a genius or a fool

Part of the problem is he released a ton of albums. Being prolific can be a negative. Too much stuff. The only Zappa albums I regularly revisit are Hot Rats and One Size Fits All.

• Like 4

I feel like I need to listen to Zappa again, I can never tell if he is a genius or a fool

Part of the problem is he released a ton of albums. Being prolific can be a negative. Too much stuff. The only Zappa albums I regularly revisit are Hot Rats and One Size Fits All.

Those are easily the most revisitable.

Been listening to him today.

Since I started really getting into him last Summer, I guess I'm getting heavily into him again since it's that time of year.

Aah, another summer of my life in California, how I... Hate it. (FLAKES! FLAKES!)

Since I started really getting into him last Summer, I guess I'm getting heavily into him again since it's that time of year.

Aah, another summer of my life in California, how I... Hate it. (FLAKES! FLAKES!)

Yep. When you get hooked its all over.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWuENXXEzs

Yep. When you get hooked its all over.

that's why if my friend Segue ever gives him the proper chance and get's hooked i'm posting every negative comment he made in a thread, lol

Mick

Can't do that on stage 5, live stuff is great. Frank was a beast, as derick smalls once said...... 'he should be here'

Disc 2 is one of my favorite examples of live Zappa and what his bands could do. His 81-82 ensemble was one of his most fearless and tightest ever.

• Like 2

http://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/20151124150021ENPRN289557-Frank-Zappa-Sheik-Yerbouti-2LP-cover-90-1448377221MR.jpg

If anyone doubts Frank was a musical genius and think he just puts whatever shit he writes; refer to the fact that this masterpiece was released within a half-of-a-year span of another masterpiece of his, Joe's Garage.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 2