Frank Zappa Thread

Bigbobby10

Yep even if the setlist stayed the same you would have secret words and hijinks(Stairway to Cornhole, and on guitar...) that varied from night to night. Even Billy the Mountain which deviated from night to night stayed exactly the same when ZPZ did it. Shame. FZ was ever evolving and experimenting.

This is why I wish Dweezil would give up on playing dad's stuff and start his own band. Something real creepy about ZPZ to me, and I can't put my listening finger bones on it. This may be that answer...

Yep even if the setlist stayed the same you would have secret words and hijinks(Stairway to Cornhole, and on guitar...) that varied from night to night. Even Billy the Mountain which deviated from night to night stayed exactly the same when ZPZ did it. Shame. FZ was ever evolving and experimenting.

This is why I wish Dweezil would give up on playing dad's stuff and start his own band. Something real creepy about ZPZ to me, and I can't put my listening finger bones on it. This may be that answer...

I've seen ZPZ a bunch of times in the last 10 years. They are not the same without Billy(mallets & percussion) and Jamie(guitar). They are still worth seeing live and I recommend going to the shows.

They are playing the song - The Grand Wazoo on this tour. Some FZ songs that ZPZ plays have improv, and are different every night. The Grand Wazoo is the improv tune for this tour. Can't wait to hear it this winter!

Edited by Self-Indulgence
  • Like 1

Oh, and.... a LOT of people have this attitude that Frank's Synclavier stuff is superior to everything else he put out over the years because that was his "ultimate vision" of what he wanted his music to be..I have to disagree, I think the Synclavier was a cool tool for what he wanted to do, but it doesn't interest me and anyone that likes live music because it was too involved, and never seemed to just evolve into anything but more notes in a smaller space...and the fact that he had complete control of it was just something that kept him busy.

In all honesty, I haven't checked out the synclavier stuff that deeply. That said, I always loved Zappa's ability to put a band together. Something about the specific feel that each ensemble was able to achieve means I like early mothers stuff and i like the musique concrete varese stuff and i even like the brecker horns in the later 80s bands. But I like them all for different reasons. I usually have to quit listening because of the "valve stuck open full bore" quality of franks tunes. The synclavier really hits this sore spot for me. More Bunk Gardner please, more Ruth Underwood please, more Billy Martin please.

And especially more Zappa, please. :D

btw, the Brecker Bros only played with him in '76 on the Zappa in NY album, the '88 band had a different horn section.

Right, I guess not everybody qualifies brecker horns the same way... the later horn sections just sounded like that to me. I love the fowler bros, not too big on albert wing or curt mcgettrick though i loved the arrangements for the section.

The 88 stuff was a little too political for my taste...there were a few boots that surfaced that had some great stuff..but it wasn't as amazing as it could have been with those musicians....

I'm totally in love with the post Flo and Eddie years with the "Grand Wazoo" bands, then as he started the rock bands with Ruth Underwood, Chester Thompson, etc.

• Like 1

[The 88 stuff was a little too political for my taste...there were a few boots that surfaced that had some great stuff..but it wasn't as amazing as it could have been with those musicians....

I'm totally in love with the post Flo and Eddie years with the "Grand Wazoo" bands, then as he started the rock bands with Ruth Underwood, Chester Thompson, etc.

Muuuuud sha-sha-shaaaaaarrrrk

I miss the Flo and Eddie years.

http://youtu.be/DFs5Y1hlN-I

Edited by CapnKeck

[The 88 stuff was a little too political for my taste...there were a few boots that surfaced that had some great stuff..but it wasn't as amazing as it could have been with those musicians....

Muuuuud sha-sha-shaaaaaarrrrk

I miss the Flo and Eddie years.

http://youtu.be/DFs5Y1hlN-I

The Flo and Eddie stuff got tiring after a while. The bands that created Overnight Sensation, and Apostrophe (The Roxy years) were WAY off the charts! I was also a HUGE fan of the TInsletown Rebellion years!

The "Big Band" stuff was amazing, but there's just not enough output...when they started getting stuff out a LOT of people were trying to get them to release more of the live stuff from those years, too...A little trickled out, but there's a lot more!

A lot of ZPZ shows in Europe are getting 'The Evil Prince' treatment. I hope this trend will continue in the US.

The Evil Prince, Paris France -

Awesome tune!

The only Flo and Eddie stuff I really dig is Billy the Mountain and the King Kong workouts etc. The live band was cracking. Musically they were fantastic and if you don't really like the Groupie shit you can easily skip it.

200 Motels is shit though. Never could get past the first 20 minutes of it. I do like the Playground Psychotics album though. Oh and Carnegie is amazing.

The only Flo and Eddie stuff I really dig is Billy the Mountain and the King Kong workouts etc. The live band was cracking. Musically they were fantastic and if you don't really like the Groupie shit you can easily skip it.

200 Motels is shit though. Never could get past the first 20 minutes of it. I do like the Playground Psychotics album though. Oh and Carnegie is amazing.

Yeah..I have to be in the right mood for the Flo & Eddie stuff...but I agree...the bands were pretty rocking...got to see ZPZ do Billy the Mountain a few years back, that was kinda cool... (I always loved Greggery Peccory, too!)

200 Motels was just an odd thing, but I agree Carnegie Hall is a good set! But I can't put all of it on at once like I get when I get into moods for certain era's..I like the "You Can't Do That On Stage, Anymore" stuff, and how he worked that stuff in between things to not "kill" it.

I can get into a "Grand Wazoo" Mood, or a "Zoot Allures" mood and want that Bozzio/ O'Hearn era stuff...or any of the crazy stuff with Vinnie Coliauta and Ed Mann with the wild percussion, and over the top Tommy Mars keyboard stuff. But the FLo & Eddie stuff is a play one album kind of thing, love it...then I get into something else.

• Like 1

Got the Roxy Blu-Ray in the mail yesterday.

Watched just the first three tunes, gonna finish it tonite.

Go on... Smoke the tapes.

the roach of this is gonna be really good.

Heady. Creamy. The slowest Cosmik Debris ever.

Got the Roxy Blu-Ray in the mail yesterday.

Watched just the first three tunes, gonna finish it tonite.

Go on... Smoke the tapes.

the roach of this is gonna be really good.

Heady. Creamy. The slowest Cosmik Debris ever.

Ahh. The original tempo. :musicnote:

Why did all those songs get faster and faster and faster and faster? The 84 version of Camarillo Brillo is like 40 clicks faster than the album. I like the slower tempos on a lot of those tunes.

• Like 1

^Frank would always do that, Keck.

As his bands changed, so would the composition's tempo.

You never knew what version you'd get.

It takes a lot of listenings to start to get what he's all about.

Also, watching Frank's hand signals as he conducts the band lets you know when unexpected changes are coming.

The musicians in his bands had to keep their eyes on Frank all of the time!

Edited by Self-Indulgence

Listened to One Size Fits All today... what a great album. His guitar work really hit its stride mid-'70's to early '80's.

Yep. 71-81. The height of inventiveness (pun intended), tone and creativity. He did play some raging solos in 84 and some very plaintive melancholy stuff in '88 but those years are the absolute peak of his playing.

• Like 1

I just uncovered a good number of Zappa records my dad owns on vinyl

Joes Garage

Ships Arriving Too Late

Guitar

Baby Snakes

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1

I hope one day my son notices my extensive Zappa collection and takes the plunge.

I think there are others, but there is a Christmas tree blocking them so I have to wait till January to look again lol. I stole Ship and Garage for now to sit with my records. Expose your son to the Zappa that's appropriate enough and maybe he'll come around later on like I did. I always had tiny exposures till I was old enough to really appreciate it

Listened to One Size Fits All today... what a great album. His guitar work really hit its stride mid-'70's to early '80's.

Yep. 71-81. The height of inventiveness (pun intended), tone and creativity. He did play some raging solos in 84 and some very plaintive melancholy stuff in '88 but those years are the absolute peak of his playing.

Never heard all of Sleep Dirt until today... wow. :clap:

Never heard all of Sleep Dirt until today... wow. :clap:

Original instrumental or remixed/vocals version?