Frank Zappa Thread

Bigbobby10

This box is great!

FZ-The-Mothers-1970-Cover-Final.jpg

4 discs. Frank plays some bass guitar behind his soloing on the studio disc. The other three are live. Some tracks recorded on Franks tape recorder.

FRANK ZAPPA - Guitar, Vocals

MARK VOLMAN - Vocals, Percussion

HOWARD KAYLAN - Vocals

GEORGE DUKE - Piano, Keys, Trombone

IAN UNDERWOOD - Organ, Keys, Guitar

JEFF SIMMONS - Bass, Vocals

AYNSLEY DUNBAR - Drums

Disc 1: Trident Studios, London, England 6.21-22.70

Disc 2: Live Highlights Part 1 “Piknik” VPRO 6.18.70/ Pepperland 9.26.70

Disc 3: Live Highlights Part 2 Hybrid Concert: Santa Monica 8.21.70/Spokane 9.17.70

Disc 4: Live Highlights Part 3 FZ Tour Tape Recordings

Edited by Self-Indulgence
  • Like 1

Curious since you're a bigger fan than me and collecting these releases, what would you consider to be the best live release with his mid-70s lineup?

not that you asked me but the Roxy box and Zappa in New York are exceptional.

So many archival releases coming out and they are top notch

a string of Halloween sets have been released and they come in completist and abridged versions. The shortened sets are a real good deal - you get a complete set list andat a very reasonable price

Halloween '73

Halloween '77

Halloween '81 (later half of September scheduled release)

highly recommended

• Like 1

Thanks Taurus, your input is most certainly welcome. :)

I had the '78 Halloween DVD audio, it was a good disc but had a lot of 'filler'. While I agree/align with many of his political stances, never feel like that's the primary reason I tune in. There's a good bit of filler on the DVD audio.

Anyway, I'll check out the Zappa in New York. I have the Roxy live show already, and agree it's good.

He played live quite a bit during the 70s (and put out a shit ton of studio recordings), which is good for me since that's my favorite FZ era. But it also makes picking through the posthumous releases difficult.

Edited by stoopid

Curious since you're a bigger fan than me and collecting these releases, what would you consider to be the best live release with his mid-70s lineup?

The Roxy Performances from Dec. 1973.

Zappa in New York, 1976

I agree these are the best ones. I don't have the new box for New York, yet.

• Like 1

Especially if it snows over their carnage.

Ended up going with the original In New York 2 CD set, and Chicago 1978. I couldn't justify the boxed set, not enough in the extras to justify the cost for me.

Especially if it snows over their carnage.

Ended up going with the original In New York 2 CD set, and Chicago 1978. I couldn't justify the boxed set, not enough in the extras to justify the cost for me.

Nice choice. Some of the boxes released are complete live recording. Every song from every night FZ played. Some even have the soundchecks. FZ liked to record everything when he was on the road. :cool:

• Like 1

Nice choice. Some of the boxes released are complete live recording. Every song from every night FZ played. Some even have the soundchecks. FZ liked to record everything when he was on the road. :cool:

And that's turned out to be a good thing for us, but there's most definitely a limit to how much time I devote to FZ so I'm definitely no completist.