What Rush tunes would make good bluegrass or c/w songs?

toymaker

A few bands, like Floyd and Van Halen, have been covered by tribute bluegrass artists. With Rush, we've had the string quartet thing, and the lullaby album. One day I was messing around with an acoustic guitar and started strumming some country sounding chords over "I set a course just east of Lyra / and northwest of Pegasus. . ." (C F D G). Part of my brain tried to kill me by creating some kind of chemical reaction in my bloodstream, but another part of my brain thought it could sound whimsical. At least for five minutes or so, which is about my limit whenever I try to listen to bluegrass covers of rock tunes.

Anyway, what songs do you think could work?

I'll start with an obvious one - I think Dwight Yoakam would do a killer cover of "In The Mood"

Can't stand hokum chokum Yoakam, but you're right - I can totally hear that.

I hope none. They are both my least favorite types of music. I can't stand c/w at all.

I can stand some of it, but certainly not all of it. The only bluegrass record I own is Garcia/Grisman. I like a bit of Emmylou Harris, but more her later not-so-country stuff. My band always gets asked to do country songs. Blue Rodeo usually keeps them satisfied, along with a bit of Johnny Cash.

Music is universal, regardless of what style is presented .... That's what makes the particular artist

With that said, some RUSH songs - the more progressive, sci-fi type or those with the strong imagery - would suffer with the stripped down country-type approach

But in an odd way, I could see Jacob's Ladder working with a sincere, somewhat religious approach - it might work with the right artist - not one of the interchangeable, phony, modern country hacks

Perhaps Mike Ness of Social Distortion could pull it off as he has dabbled in country side projects

• Like 1

Rush have already gone country,Geddy's been yodelling for years.

Interesting topic.

"Pickin' on Rush"...oh lordy...

I just don't know.

I don't like c&w after the early 1970s or so (and not much before that, either)...but I do like some bluegrass.

Rush thought Cold Fire was a country song when Counterparts came out.

Well played. This one could definitely be a country song and I like the song too...
  • Like 1

A few bands, like Floyd and Van Halen, have been covered by tribute bluegrass artists. With Rush, we've had the string quartet thing, and the lullaby album. One day I was messing around with an acoustic guitar and started strumming some country sounding chords over "I set a course just east of Lyra / and northwest of Pegasus. . ." (C F D G). Part of my brain tried to kill me by creating some kind of chemical reaction in my bloodstream, but another part of my brain thought it could sound whimsical. At least for five minutes or so, which is about my limit whenever I try to listen to bluegrass covers of rock tunes.

Anyway, what songs do you think could work?

I think that part of your head that tried to murder you is called the left hemisphere.. just a guess

I'm trying to imagine "dueling banjos" riff in place of the Morse code intro of yyz.. or a twangy song called Red Chevy Pickup Truck.. and my left hemisphere's starting to get restless.. I swear it's a defense mechanism! Lol

• Like 1