Whatever Happened To Common Decency?

Lorraine

.....the "f-word," for example, can be used in several different contexts:

And in every context, other words can be used. People rationalize using profanities and vulgarities every day. There's no honorable reason for speaking like that, but people do it anyway. That's what common folk do; they speak whatever vulgar slang is popular at the time.

There is when I am catching,

25" Rainbows all day. Fu** yeah!! :D

.....the "f-word," for example, can be used in several different contexts:

And in every context, other words can be used. People rationalize using profanities and vulgarities every day. There's no honorable reason for speaking like that, but people do it anyway. That's what common folk do; they speak whatever vulgar slang is popular at the time.

Folks may be "common" (whatever that means) but they can still be decent. I think decency is gauged more by actions and the regard a person has for others, much more than by how a person expresses himself or herself.

I agree. Actions speak much louder than words. Most of the time, foul language is just an annoyance. People can be annoying and also be decent and honorable.

• Like 2

Now, if you really want to get into it - here is a big problem, and THIS is something people can do something about instead of sitting by idly and complaining

How genetically modified food is changing people's health, detrimentally:

For example, wheat, from cardiologist William Davis, MD:

- Gliadin of 2012 is different from the gliadin of, say, 1960, by several amino acids, part of the genetic transformation of wheat introduced to increase yield-per-acre.

–Gliadin is degraded to a collection of polypeptides called exorphins in the gastrointestinal tract. Exorphins cross the blood-brain barrier and bind to opiate-receptors to induce appetite, as well as behavioral changes, such as behavioral outbursts and inattention in children with ADHD and autism, hearing voices and social detachment in schizophrenics, and the mania of bipolar illness

http://www.wheatbell...gliadin-effect/

Yes- I absolutely believe in that. I also believe we'll find out that the widespread use of GMO's (and they are everywhere) is leading to all kinds of strictly medical problems, too, that we're already seeing- in addition to behavioral problems.

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/169/6ca3f9620c104a7e8e64b4738953ff24.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with you Lorraine. I think it's sad. I think it's a trickle down effect from the political correctness our society seems to force on everyone now. People feel like there's nothing special about them and life seems so blah.

when you complain about political correctness and people swearing too much in the same post it's time to check into the nursing home.

And when you suggest getting out of the house and forgetting about it I would suggest checking into the asylum.

good one. I'm crazy because I don't get offended when people who actually work hard swear on the job? like I said, there's a time and a place. working in the hot sun (away from a computer) is one of them. it's not like there were children present. well, not actual children...

I was raised to equate swearing with lack of intelligence. It was done by people weren't smart enough to express themselves in any other way. I'm not talking about an exclamation of pain or surprise but just in general conversation. I think what Lorraine is talking about is more the lack of respect that young people have these days. They have been raised to be able to get away with whatever they want to. No real discipline or education.

I'm a pretty smart guy. I curse with some frequency, when circumstances allow.

It's not that i don't have other ways to express myself, it's _another_ way to express myself, in the right envrionment.

• Like 3

The Crusades, The Khmer Rouge Regime, the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, The Salem Witch Trials, The Holocaust

The list goes on and on

I'd say common decency has been a flaw of humanity for a long, long time

Don't hate modern culture, be modern culture

When the fault is with everyone else, or society, and things just ain't the way the used to be, you will forever be the victim

you know, I actually once read that hitler never swore and apparently wouldn't allow dirty jokes or political jokes when he was entertaining people. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's a good example of how someone's choice of words isn't always an indication of character.

• Like 1

Isn't anyone interested in lifting themselves up anymore? Must everyone be so base?

Just asking these questions as I've been thinking about this for months now. It's disheartening to witness.

Societal rules are certainly changing. I'm often amazed at how some people act, react and interact with others. I grew up in a large family of all women and every one of them harped on us younger kids about manners. I went to finishing school and really enjoyed it. I kind of wish more people did this.

I see many people staring down at their phones, completely absorbed in their own selves and oblivious to others or what's going on around them. I've seen young people not willing to hold a door for an elder. The list is endless. It's kind of heartbreaking but I think just the way we're moving forward.

So minding my own business is bad character? OK

I don't think that's what she meant.

• Like 2

and here's something interesting - bought some anonymous sex journal from victorian-era england a while back and I can assure you all that humans have always been dirty creatures. this guy was getting aroused over listening to girls fart in the 1800s
  • Like 2

Isn't anyone interested in lifting themselves up anymore? Must everyone be so base?

Just asking these questions as I've been thinking about this for months now. It's disheartening to witness.

Societal rules are certainly changing. I'm often amazed at how some people act, react and interact with others. I grew up in a large family of all women and every one of them harped on us younger kids about manners. I went to finishing school and really enjoyed it. I kind of wish more people did this.

I see many people staring down at their phones, completely absorbed in their own selves and oblivious to others or what's going on around them. I've seen young people not willing to hold a door for an elder. The list is endless. It's kind of heartbreaking but I think just the way we're moving forward.

So minding my own business is bad character? OK

I don't think that's what she meant.

That is what I was thinking,

Its pretty obvious what her point was.

• Like 2

But why does crudity seem to rule today?

In many places, it does rule.

It comes down to the level of education that people are getting. The better educated you are, the less likely you will resort to crude and vulgar speech. The etymology of the word "vulgar" is very telling. The word is Latin for "common" or "ordinary". Vulgar speech is the speech of commoners, who are usually poorly educated and unsophisticated.

These days, education is more about getting a job than it is about improving one's self.....hence the vulgar speech and very poor spelling and grammar skills.

PM, please do me a favor. If you are up on grammar, point out to me when I make a mistake. Since moving out here, my grammar has nosedived. My husband's grammar is awful and, after living with him for so long, I am confused now as to what is right and wrong. I no longer work, and I'm not around anyone who does speak properly.

It comes down to the level of education that people are getting. The better educated you are, the less likely you will resort to crude and vulgar speech. The etymology of the word "vulgar" is very telling. The word is Latin for "common" or "ordinary". Vulgar speech is the speech of commoners, who are usually poorly educated and unsophisticated.

These days, education is more about getting a job than it is about improving one's self.....hence the vulgar speech and very poor spelling and grammar skills.

PM, please do me a favor. If you are up on grammar, point out to me when I make a mistake. Since moving out here, my grammar has nosedived. My husband's grammar is awful and, after living with him for so long, I am confused now as to what is right and wrong. I no longer work, and I'm not around anyone who does speak properly.

Your grammar is generally impeccable. You have to admire someone who knows how to use commas consistently.

Your grammar is generally impeccable. You have to admire someone who knows how to use commas consistently.

:LOL:

And here at The Rush Forum, there are plenty of grammar control freaks to point out every single error...... :doh: :bitchslap: :P

• Like 1

And here at The Rush Forum, there are plenty of grammar control freaks to point out every single error...... :doh: :bitchslap: :P

I know mine can be bad,

But I don't give a fu**! :D

• Like 1

I never encountered one in the time I have been here. The closest was when someone told me that the word I used was the wrong one and I should have used another.

It's not just them. I didn't just decide on this one incident. It's been ongoing for some time now. No matter where I go out here, I am encountering it. Even in the doctor's office.

I don't mean to make light of this topic but I got the most odd visual of this.

Lorraine walks into the office for a check up.

"The doctor will see you now".

"Good afternoon doctor", says Lorraine.

"Lorraine, how the f&@# are you?", says the doctor.

• Like 2

Seriously though, the word has become so common place that it has lost all meaning. That is the way of society...what used to be shocking and off limits is just the norm today. I can't pretend to understand it. I don't judge it and am not even surprised by it. However, I do find it kind of sad sometimes. I really wish life was more like Mayberry.

Now, if you really want to get into it - here is a big problem, and THIS is something people can do something about instead of sitting by idly and complaining

- Gliadin of 2012 is different from the gliadin of, say, 1960, by several amino acids, part of the genetic transformation of wheat introduced to increase yield-per-acre.

–Gliadin is degraded to a collection of polypeptides called exorphins in the gastrointestinal tract. Exorphins cross the blood-brain barrier and bind to opiate-receptors to induce appetite, as well as behavioral changes, such as behavioral outbursts and inattention in children with ADHD and autism, hearing voices and social detachment in schizophrenics, and the mania of bipolar illness

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/01/the-gliadin-effect/

Yes- I absolutely believe in that. I also believe we'll find out that the widespread use of GMO's (and they are everywhere) is leading to all kinds of strictly medical problems, too, that we're already seeing- in addition to behavioral problems.

Believe what you want, but false science is always false.

I never encountered one in the time I have been here. The closest was when someone told me that the word I used was the wrong one and I should have used another.

I'm exaggerating, of course, but the topic does come up from time to time.....usually with many laughs! :)

• Like 2

I'm exaggerating, of course, but the topic does come up from time to time.....usually with many laughs! :)

The people who seem to be the most sensitive about being corrected are usually the ones who have the most trouble with their grammar to start with.

• Like 1

http://www.wheatbell...gliadin-effect/

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/169/6ca3f9620c104a7e8e64b4738953ff24.jpg

lol

I know

Wait, how the hell did GMO's wiggle its way in here?!?

I know, it was a stretch, however, my point was how it has effected people behavior

There are 26 countries that have banned genetically modified food ... There are numerous countries that have either cut ties or limited the import of US grown crops due to the resistance of the USA to prove or grow otherwise

It is a big problem, and it is effecting people health, which in turn effects their behavior - and how they conduct themselves in pubic and with other people