Whatever Happened To Common Decency?

Lorraine

But why is it necessary to use these words? Can't you get a point across, or place emphasis on something without using it?

these words only freak you out because people told you they should when you were young.

One day when you are an old man you will realise how short life is, and that ones like Lorraine and Eaglemoon have viewpoints and standards tou may wish you had treasured earlier in life.

Why do young people today assume they have more right to voice an opinion, and maintain the firm view that they are correct, than those who have lived life decades longer?

One day you will be older, and I hope a precocious teen walks all over your point of view with his immature worldview.

Lorraine and Eaglemoon don't need to be convinced by a boy when they have already lived your life twice over and experienced great changes in both the world at large and in smaller communities.

So many young ones today brush aside the wisdom of age, but in time you will come to regret that when you need the answers and they are not there.

• Like 1

We have such a beautiful languahe but so many appear to find it an embarrassment to use it properly.

I am well spoken and I find myself mocked constantly.

All those defending foul language are part of a subculture slowly eroding away the great and beautiful English language.

I know many from other European countries gobsmacked when they learn our language, that so many native speakers cannot or will not use it to their fullest potential.

So many want to talk like Kanye or Kim it is terrible.

shakespeare swore and told crude jokes, the founding fathers swore, faulkner, hemingway, joyce, etc etc etc etc. time and a place, friend

They didn't bless literature with foul language. They gave lesser writers an excuse to get away with it.

that doesn't even make sense.

time and a place. there's a happy medium between the grandmother who says "son of a dog-gone biscuit!" and a gangsta rapper.

My lifestyle shuns foul language and my friends and family all strive to be clean.

Standards differ from country to country, but we strive to be 100% clean.

I already push too many boundaries based on what I view to be good entertainment, but I am getting stricter as I learn and get older.

Different standards. Different view.

If mine makes no sense, then stop looking at the matter from your eyes.

My life standards is based on something a bit more substantial than the works of Faulkner or Shakespeare.

All I am saying.

Time to leave this thread, methinks.

first of all, the weatherman says "c***" on TV in the UK

second, relax! no, no, your "lifestyle" makes sense (it's the same as the average 80 year-old baptist in my town), but I don't think we're here to punish ourselves, to be afraid of words, and so on. even neil peart swears. who are you trying to impress? some old monks on a message board?

Young man, I don't think it's for the purpose of impressing anyone. It certainly isn't, for me. I think you're trying to pick away at the wrong bark, here.

I'd like to think that we all live what we speak, to the best of our abilities. And I know Segue does that.

But why is it necessary to use these words? Can't you get a point across, or place emphasis on something without using it?

Agreed.

sure, but it becomes a habit that is very hard to break. addicting? almost viceral to use some words?

ask a 26 year old former corpsman trying to assimilate back into Utah culture.

He is very well read, scored very well on his act and sats--has a very foul mouth and is trying to change but finding it's not easy.

segue--I applaud you for trying to keep the english launguage alive--but unfortuntly you are not in the majority.

The thing is, the Segues of the world used to be in the majority. Today, it's the opposite. He's the minority.

I agree with you Lorraine. I think it's sad. I think it's a trickle down effect from the political correctness our society seems to force on everyone now. People feel like there's nothing special about them and life seems so blah.

when you complain about political correctness and people swearing too much in the same post it's time to check into the nursing home.

And when you suggest getting out of the house and forgetting about it I would suggest checking into the asylum.

good one. I'm crazy because I don't get offended when people who actually work hard swear on the job? like I said, there's a time and a place. working in the hot sun (away from a computer) is one of them. it's not like there were children present. well, not actual children...

I was raised to equate swearing with lack of intelligence. It was done by people weren't smart enough to express themselves in any other way. I'm not talking about an exclamation of pain or surprise but just in general conversation. I think what Lorraine is talking about is more the lack of respect that young people have these days. They have been raised to be able to get away with whatever they want to. No real discipline or education.

that's how most people your age were raised so I understand why you'd get upset. but I'm coming from what I feel to be a more sensible, realistic background - anyone who's read literature or seen a movie that's not rated G knows that swearing isn't just for the stupid or the uneducated. there's a time and a place. be aware of your surroundings and choose your words carefully based on your environment. it's not as simple as "anyone who says shit must be dumb because they should've said fecal matter instead"

Yes there is a time and a place. That's the whole point. Kids aren't taught respect and manners as much anymore. A lot of that has to do with the parents having to work and not being home and or not caring. The schools as well. Ignorance is the "in thing" right now.

I can agree with that. I thought you were coming from a strictly "no swearing, no exceptions" standpoint, and I think that's silly for the reasons I've stated, and I was like, come on, everyone has to be real or say something "common" every now and then.

these words only freak you out because people told you they should when you were young.

it's not "necessary" to talk at all. we can use hand signals or clicking noises. but sometimes swearing just sounds better. words are words. time and a place.

why do I have to explain to someone who lived through the summer of love and bra-burnings that "dang" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "damn"?

And here I thought you were smart. How can you still be missing my point?

I know how much you dislike my generation. You can't get past that dislike either.

I have nothing against your generation, I just don't have such a high self-opinion that I delude myself into thinking my own youth is the single best period in all of history and that "people" are somehow getting more "rude" because you overheard some workers swearing.

I see no point in being out of touch, scared of language, scared of change, etc. it's not just people of your generation who are like that.

Again, you miss my point.

I make no apologies for myself. To you or anyone else.

We have such a beautiful languahe but so many appear to find it an embarrassment to use it properly.

I am well spoken and I find myself mocked constantly.

All those defending foul language are part of a subculture slowly eroding away the great and beautiful English language.

I know many from other European countries gobsmacked when they learn our language, that so many native speakers cannot or will not use it to their fullest potential.

So many want to talk like Kanye or Kim it is terrible.

shakespeare swore and told crude jokes, the founding fathers swore, faulkner, hemingway, joyce, etc etc etc etc. time and a place, friend

They didn't bless literature with foul language. They gave lesser writers an excuse to get away with it.

that doesn't even make sense.

time and a place. there's a happy medium between the grandmother who says "son of a dog-gone biscuit!" and a gangsta rapper.

My lifestyle shuns foul language and my friends and family all strive to be clean.

Standards differ from country to country, but we strive to be 100% clean.

I already push too many boundaries based on what I view to be good entertainment, but I am getting stricter as I learn and get older.

Different standards. Different view.

If mine makes no sense, then stop looking at the matter from your eyes.

My life standards is based on something a bit more substantial than the works of Faulkner or Shakespeare.

All I am saying.

Time to leave this thread, methinks.

first of all, the weatherman says "c***" on TV in the UK

second, relax! no, no, your "lifestyle" makes sense (it's the same as the average 80 year-old baptist in my town), but I don't think we're here to punish ourselves, to be afraid of words, and so on. even neil peart swears. who are you trying to impress? some old monks on a message board?

Young man, I don't think it's for the purpose of impressing anyone. It certainly isn't, for me. I think you're trying to pick away at the wrong bark, here.

I'd like to think that we all live what we speak, to the best of our abilities. And I know Segue does that.

Thank you Blue J. I know you know exactly where I am coming from.

• Like 1

it's not "necessary" to talk at all. we can use hand signals or clicking noises. but sometimes swearing just sounds better. words are words. time and a place.

why do I have to explain to someone who lived through the summer of love and bra-burnings that "dang" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "damn"?

I know how much you dislike my generation. You can't get past that dislike either.

Lorraine, don't you see, Bathory is smart--and he understands what you are saying, he just doesn't agree with your opinion and is expressing his own.

I don't think he is dising your generation at all--he is just trying to explain his own generation and opinion--and you are the one not listening, you just see things differently.

Neither of you is right or wrong--just different.

My guess is that they say f**k so much is because they're in a job enviroment that dosen't require them to watch their language. It's not like there's important people or clients they need to keep happy with what they're doing. Plus, the nastier the job is, the more colorful the language can get.

Also, I've noticed this happen with me and others, when you say a word like f**k often enough, at some point you don't even realise you may be saying it a lot. It just becomes like any other word you would use on a daily basis.

I say if you have to clean human waste out of buckets that's been left to rot, you've more than earned the right to use colorful language

• Like 8

One day when you are an old man you will realise how short life is, and that ones like Lorraine and Eaglemoon have viewpoints and standards tou may wish you had treasured earlier in life.

Why do young people today assume they have more right to voice an opinion, and maintain the firm view that they are correct, than those who have lived life decades longer?

One day you will be older, and I hope a precocious teen walks all over your point of view with his immature worldview.

Lorraine and Eaglemoon don't need to be convinced by a boy when they have already lived your life twice over and experienced great changes in both the world at large and in smaller communities.

So many young ones today brush aside the wisdom of age, but in time you will come to regret that when you need the answers and they are not there.

Thanks Segue. Getting older has some benefits. It's just sad when you see the younger generation being so apathetic and not wanting to better themselves. Like the old saying goes, youth is wasted on the young.

• Like 1

can you quit trying to impress a bunch of old people who don't care about you?

I get that they've lived longer than me - lots of dumbasses live a long time. lots of smart people die young. just because someone is older than me doesn't mean they know more about "when to swear and when not to swear."

what is immature about recognizing that words are words and that there is a time and a place for them all? half of your posts are "eat my poo!" and you're calling me the immature one?

• Like 3

Lorraine, don't you see, Bathory is smart--and he understands what you are saying, he just doesn't agree with your opinion and is expressing his own.

I don't think he is dising your generation at all--he is just trying to explain his own generation and opinion--and you are the one not listening, you just see things differently.

This has NOTHING to do with ANYONE being right or wrong.

He's not explaining anything to me. Unless "this is just the way it is and if you don't like it then that means you just are afraid - afraid of language, afraid of change" is his explanation.

Agreed.

sure, but it becomes a habit that is very hard to break. addicting? almost viceral to use some words?

He is very well read, scored very well on his act and sats--has a very foul mouth and is trying to change but finding it's not easy.

segue--I applaud you for trying to keep the english launguage alive--but unfortuntly you are not in the majority.

The thing is, the Segues of the world used to be in the majority. Today, it's the opposite. He's the minority.

Not sure this is correct either--that's a pretty big generalization--they are just the ones that you are listening to. I know lot's of young people that know how to use english to get their points across without vulgarity--some of them can even do it with out offending their peers who choose to cuss.

I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from.

I get that they've lived longer than me - lots of dumbasses live a long time. lots of smart people die young. just because someone is older than me doesn't mean they know more about "when to swear and when not to swear."

what is immature about recognizing that words are words and that there is a time and a place for them all? half of your posts are "eat my poo!" and you're calling me the immature one?

I happen to live by these standards.

And the "eat my poo" is a reflection of a sense of humour, something that never ages if a person stays positive.

Agreed.

Not sure this is correct either--that's a pretty big generalization--they are just the ones that you are listening to. I know lot's of young people that know how to use english to get their points across without vulgarity--some of them can even do it with out offending their peers who choose to cuss.

everything she says is a generalization about why her generation is best.

Words are just words. They have no meaning in and of themselves. It's the context that gives them meaning. At work we swear a lot. We use a harsh language and sarcasm towards each other to push ourselves and each other to perform better. Wouldn't seem right otherwise. But I know when to use that language and when not to. I wouldn't dare to swear in front of a child or someone I didn't know because I know my manners. Some people swear too much and some just reminds me of Anne Wilkes in Misery.

I've been told that people in Denmark use the F-word a lot more than people who have english as their mother tongue. It could be that the word has no real meaning to us other than being an exclamation.

Now, what should bother one more than foul language is why some people are capable of living in their own filth. To me that's much more concerning.

• Like 8

Wow. Way to win friends and influence people.

Oh wait, you're not interested in that. Never mind.

• Like 1

Agreed.

Well ours most certainly is not.

• Like 1

Agreed.

It wasn't the best, and I've never said it was. We were useful idiots too. We were manipulated and used. They do that to every young generation. It's easy to manipulate young people.

A lot of the problem is,

Parents want to be the best friend with the kids these days so its cool. Regardless of language. Not in my day. Get the fu** out of the house or you do chores. :LOL: The end of this video is a perfect example of when close friends and myself will say it. We know when not to say it.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but I'm still siding with the cleanup crew. Lorraine, I'm not going to sugar coat this, you're being too judgmental.

In the long run, there is nothing wrong with saying f**k or shit at ALL. Now if words like the N-word or the C-word or the F-A-G word were being used, then there's a reason to be upset because those are slurs intended to hurt, not curse words.

Edited by fraroc

He's not explaining anything to me. Unless "this is just the way it is and if you don't like it then that means you just are afraid - afraid of language, afraid of change" is his explanation.

what other conclusion can I reach?

and what was wrong with what I said? unless you are truly delusional enough to believe that "people" really have "gotten worse." even though crime rates have drastically decreased, college attendance is at an all-time high, but no, you can see "the truth" from the computer room's window.

I hope when I'm old I'm not so arrogant to think that my word is law simply because I'm old.

• Like 2

if you go back to his earlier posts he actually did do a pretty good job of explaining his opinion(I got it)--laborers cleaning up messes(even though they might be quite smart and educated) may find themselves speaking in a manner less that dignified, but in no way does their launguage refect upon the quality of work they have done.

• Like 1

Lorraine, so did I miss this in another thread?? Does this mean THE problem neighbors have left??

And I agree with you and disagree with some here, sorry. Everyone knows those words but people who have been around awhile choose not to use them because they know others will be judging them. Most just won't tell you.

Stone, best wishes to your son starting his new career! He sounds awesome!

• Like 2