Favorite Prog-Rock Albums

Bigbobby10

Well, I'll list 5 of my favorites from the top of my head.

A Farewell To Kings

Close To The Edge

In The Court Of The Crimson King

Meddle

Fear Of A Blank Planet (yes, Porcupine Tree's newer compared to the rest on here, but f**k it)

• Like 3

King Crimson - Red

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

Yes - Close to the Edge

Pink Floyd - Animals

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Camel - Mirage

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

FM - Black Noise

Gentle Giant - Octopus

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

• Like 5

Tales From Topographic Oceans

After this I can think of nothing else.

• Like 2

vdgg - godbluff

camel - moonmadness

kc - larks

mahavishnu - birds of fire

zappa - one size fits all

soft machine - 3rd

caravan - grey and pink

robert wyatt - rock bottom

khan - space shanty

ctte

selling england

hemispheres

meddle

misplaced childhood

there are a million killer prog albums

• Like 2

you just out-progged everybody!

I love prog...but I truly am stumped to think of any prog albums that match up to this one for me!

Aqualung?

Octopus?

In The Court Of The Crimson King?

Any seventies Rush?

Any other Yes album?

Yeah of course! Buuuuuuuuttt...prog starts here for me...and although the jourmey doesn't end here, it does get stuck on repeat!

I love prog...but I truly am stumped to think of any prog albums that match up to this one for me!

Aqualung?

Octopus?

Any seventies Rush?

Any other Yes album?

Yeah of course! Buuuuuuuuttt...prog starts here for me...and although the jourmey doesn't end here, it does get stuck on repeat!

yeah, I never got the hate for tales. it's hard to listen to in one sitting unless you're high, but everything on it's killer.

• Like 1

Rush - Caress Of Steel (1975)

Rush - 2112 (1976)

Rush - A Farewell To Kings (1977)

Rush - Hemispheres (1978)

Queen - Queen (1973)

Queen - Queen II (1974)

Magenta - Revolutions (2001)

Magenta - Seven (2004)

Magenta - Metamorphosis (2008)

Magenta - The Twenty Seven Club (2013)

Marillion - Script For A Jesters Tear (1983)

Marillion - Fugazi (1984)

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (1985)

Marillion - Cluthing At Straws (1987)

Fish - A Feast Of Consequences (2013)

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (1969)

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon (1970)

UFO - UFO 1 (1970)

UFO - UFO 2 Flying (1971)

• Like 1

Aqualung?

Octopus?

Any seventies Rush?

Any other Yes album?

yeah, I never got the hate for tales. it's hard to listen to in one sitting unless you're high, but everything on it's killer.

I don't do drugs. And I play this album like a tween plays a One Direction album.

Start to finish, right way up, upside down, lyrics in front, or eyes shut, start to finish (often on my laptop with the top speakers so no breaks), or on vinyl in hushed silence.

I played it to my parents today for the first time, one is 64, the other 76, and they like Glen Miller and ABBA. They thought Ritual was absolutely breathtaking, and equally absurd.

I played Karmacode (my favourite album ever), and I got bored so I out Tales back on!

Tales is melodically rich, lyrically absorbing, and thematically engrossing, it plays like a bizarre daydream David Lynch might have, and I cannot get enough of it.

It is also the only record to make me tear up with awe within the first twenty seconds, and still leave me breathless, shaking, and emotionally ruined eighty minutes later.

I remember coming on here telling everyone I had finally heard a Yes album...and I got told I chose the rubbish one haha!

Nothing Yes, or any other band for that matter, has come close to matching this since (with the possible exception of Jeff Buckley's Grace).

King Crimson - Red

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

Yes - Close to the Edge

Pink Floyd - Animals

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Camel - Mirage

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

FM - Black Noise

Gentle Giant - Octopus

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

Ah, yes, I see now...

Aqualung?

Octopus?

Any seventies Rush?

Any other Yes album?

I don't do drugs. And I play this album like a tween plays a One Direction album.

Start to finish, right way up, upside down, lyrics in front, or eyes shut, start to finish (often on my laptop with the top speakers so no breaks), or on vinyl in hushed silence.

I played it to my parents today for the first time, one is 64, the other 76, and they like Glen Miller and ABBA. They thought Ritual was absolutely breathtaking, and equally absurd.

I played Karmacode (my favourite album ever), and I got bored so I out Tales back on!

Tales is melodically rich, lyrically absorbing, and thematically engrossing, it plays like a bizarre daydream David Lynch might have, and I cannot get enough of it.

It is also the only record to make me tear up with awe within the first twenty seconds, and still leave me breathless, shaking, and emotionally ruined eighty minutes later.

I remember coming on here telling everyone I had finally heard a Yes album...and I got told I chose the rubbish one haha!

Nothing Yes, or any other band for that matter, has come close to matching this since (with the possible exception of Jeff Buckley's Grace).

I love the album but I find most double albums, even the ones I love, a chore to listen to in one sitting. quadrophenia and the lamb are two exceptions. double nickels on the dime is another one, but every song on that record is about a minute long so it zooms by really fast. I find tales to be a bit overkill if I'm not in the right headspace, which is why I mentioned being f***ed up. it's great that you can zone out to all 80 minutes of it without any, uh, extra help though.

• Like 1

Aqualung?

Octopus?

Any seventies Rush?

Any other Yes album?

I love the album but I find most double albums, even the ones I love, a chore to listen to in one sitting. quadrophenia and the lamb are two exceptions. double nickels on the dime is another one, but every song on that record is about a minute long so it zooms by really fast. I find tales to be a bit overkill if I'm not in the right headspace, which is why I mentioned being f***ed up. it's great that you can zone out to all 80 minutes of it without any, uh, extra help though.

I have had three mental breakdowns...my mind is mush (hence my hyper or sensitive nature on this forum).

• Like 1

Aqualung?

Octopus?

Any seventies Rush?

Any other Yes album?

I have had three mental breakdowns...my mind is mush (hence my hyper or sensitive nature on this forum).

I'm an advocate but someone with a fragile (ha!) emotional state probably shouldn't get high. most of the really emotional people I know tend to get uncomfortably paranoid. just keep listening to yes

• Like 1

Aqualung?

Octopus?

Any seventies Rush?

Any other Yes album?

I'm an advocate but someone with a fragile (ha!) emotional state probably shouldn't get high. most of the really emotional people I know tend to get uncomfortably paranoid. just keep listening to yes

Lol I would never take drugs. But if I did...o dear...Weird Al has nothing on me (unlike him, I don't even try...it infuriates me).