Did anyone on here buy the debut record when it first was released?

AnEggplant

I was 9 at the time and pretty square. If it had nothing to do with "Land of the Lost", I wasn't interested.

I can so relate!

Someone has to have done it here. Maybe not though.

Hell from the sh*t it gets around here I would be surprised if half the folks around here own it even now. Just keep'in it real... :sigh: :codger:

Does it? I guess sometimes, I don't know why; it's awesome!! I think it still stands up as ass kicking rock today! :P

• Like 1

Hell from the sh*t it gets around here I would be surprised if half the folks around here own it even now. Just keep'in it real... :sigh: :codger:

Does it? I guess sometimes, I don't know why; it's awesome!! I think it still stands up as ass kicking rock today! :P

It does get pooped on quite a bit or worse yet ignored but it is mostly the younger folks from my own unofficial survey :LOL: I will say that... :)

It does get pooped on quite a bit or worse yet ignored but it is mostly the younger folks from my own unofficial survey :LOL: I will say that... :)

With age comes wisdom, bwa ha ha ha . . . . . . :D

• Like 1

With age comes wisdom, bwa ha ha ha . . . . . . :D

And actually listening to it once or twice wouldn't hurt either... :D
  • Like 2

I bought it within a couple weeks after hearing it on WMMS. Had to save my paper route money to get it. Actually first bought it on 8 track tape. My mom and dad thought I was nuts!

Sure did, still have it to this day :rush:

You two win therushforum I think.

First heard RUSH on the radio sometime in 1976 either in Charleston SC or When we moved to Brooklyn NY. It was the song Fly By Night I first heard, nothing struck me about it at the time being 16. Then the summer of 76 in NY I heard reminents of 2112 in a record store. Saved my money from working at a produce store but never bought anything. Musically I was all over the place from funk, rock r&b to reggae.

So never bought or heard RUSH when it came out far too young Elton John, Bachman Turner Overdrive, The Who, BobMarley, Led Zep ruled then.

I bought it within a couple weeks after hearing it on WMMS. Had to save my paper route money to get it. Actually first bought it on 8 track tape. My mom and dad thought I was nuts!

JD, do you mind if I ask, where did you live in Cleveland? We lived in Cleveland Hts. 2 yrs in the 1980's at the beginning of my husband's career; also my college roommate is from there. Had fun listening to WMMS, but we were sad when we moved there and heard the original Agora had burned down. My husband and I (then dating) had come over from Pittsburgh to a show there in the 70's (sadly not Rush, Bruce Springsteen!) Your story of being underage there in another thread made me laugh, the same thing happened to 2 girlfriends that rode with us to the Agora for Springsteen and I think the door guy let them in with like my library card or something (they were very cute :) )

Edited by blueschica

JD, do you mind if I ask, where did you live in Cleveland? We lived in Cleveland Hts. 2 yrs in the 1980's at the beginning of my husband's career; also my college roommate is from there. Had fun listening to WMMS, but we were sad when we moved there and heard the original Agora had burned down. My husband and I (then dating) had come over from Pittsburgh to a show there in the 70's (not Rush, Bruce Springsteen!)

I am actually from a superb of Akron named Barberton. Known for their fried chicken. I listened to WMMS faithfully until I moved away in the late 80s. I had the MMS bumper sticker on the back window of my cars and all. I actually got to see a few shows at the Agora. Besides Rush, I vividly remember seeing Toto there. I also remember seeing Artful Dodger there, as well as at the Akron Agora. I only saw Rush at the Agora once. The second time I saw them was about a year later at the Akron Civic Theater. I saw them there a few times as well as Music Hall/Public Hall in Cleveland. When they got "bigger", it was the Richfield Coliseum. I don't miss Akron much, except for the Barberton chicken and Swenson's hamburgers which I get every time I go back to visit family.

• Like 1

I was 1 and a half years old when it came out so I clumsily walked into the record shop wearing my Sesame Street t-shirt and diaper, screamed (mostly a bunch of indecipherable sounds) that I wanted the album, and threw some coins onto the counter. While listening to it that first time back home, I drank a bottle of breast milk and soiled myself. Mum came in the room and asked, "What you're doing?" Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 4

I was 1 and a half years old when it came out so I clumsily walked into the record shop wearing my Sesame Street t-shirt and diaper, screamed that I wanted the album (mostly a bunch of indecipherable sounds), and threw some coins onto the counter. While listening to it that first time back home, I drank a bottle of breast milk and soiled myself. Mum came in the room and asked, "What you're doing?"

You're my hero now.

• Like 1

I was 1 and a half years old when it came out so I clumsily walked into the record shop wearing my Sesame Street t-shirt and diaper, screamed that I wanted the album (mostly a bunch of indecipherable sounds), and threw some coins onto the counter. While listening to it that first time back home, I drank a bottle of breast milk and soiled myself. Mum came in the room and asked, "What you're doing?"

You're my hero now.

:blaze:

wow 1974

I wasn't quite old enough to be venturing out past AM radio and television ... I wish I could say I bought the debut when it came out, but '74 was The Sound Of Philadelphia, George McCray's Rock Your Baby and The Bay City Rollers for me

A year later, my world would be changed forever when I bought KISS Alive

RUSH entered the picture about '77-'78 when I discovered the joys of staying awake 'till 4am on weekends watching The Midnight Special, Don Kirschner's Rock Concert and The Kenny Everett Video Show

Funny thing is - from way back to that time, I still love all that music - none of it has faded or become dated sounding

I don'[t feel old, just lucky - it was a great time for all music

• Like 1

Could not love this post any less than I already do.

• Like 1

Could not love this post any less than I already do.

:)

:blaze:

Fukk.

I wa 6 years old. My dad took me to an Oakland A's World Series game. I have a Sal Bando foul ball.

No clue about Rush.

I learned about ELP before Rush. "Brain Salad Surgery."

My parents had it on LP.

I loved the die cut sleeve so I played it.

It blew my mind. Had no clue about it.

Fuckk it.

Fukk.

I wa 6 years old. My dad took me to an Oakland A's World Series game. I have a Sal Bando foul ball.

No clue about Rush.

My parents had it on LP.

Fuckk it.

Ladies and gentlemeeeen...,

Emerson!

Lake!

And Palmer!

(Peter Gunn theme)

• Like 1

Fukk.

No clue about Rush.

My parents had it on LP.

Fuckk it.

Emerson!

Lake!

And Palmer!

(Peter Gunn theme)

YOU RULE!

• Like 1

Fukk.

No clue about Rush.

My parents had it on LP.

Fuckk it.

Emerson!

Lake!

And Palmer!

(Peter Gunn theme)

YOU RULE!

Hours listening to that song

First Rush I heard was Caress of Steel on 8-track in fall of 1975. Next spring I bought 2112 on vinyl the week it came out. Not long after that I bought Fly By Night and Rush. Never missed a new release since.
  • Like 2