The Latest Van Halen squabbles - Hagar: f**k you Eddie, you're a liar!

treeduck

I'm a little baffled by all this Eddie van halen hate that's gone down in recent years. Yes, he's a f***ed up human being. Yes, he hasn't been kind to his band mates. But what gets me is the bashing of his playing and the " Eddie is overrated " bullshit. Its f***in irritating. Who gives a shit what personality a musiciN has? Buddy rich and jaco pastorius, two examples of other influential guys who were known maniac assholes. Do I care? Nope. I care about the music. That's it.

It's ridiculous eddie gets labeled as overrated. How soon we forget.

I think part of the problem is his lack of output. VH basically had 20 years of original material and most would accept that the second ten years was nowhere near as meaningful as the first. Since then it's been years of strange behavior, pointless feuding, premature health crises and poor playing.

This tour could go a long way to rehabilitating his image and legacy. It's been a long time since he's played well consistently but he finally looks truly physically healthy. I hope for his sake they keep it together and have something to show for it other than yet another problematic tour and bitchy feuding.

• Like 1

Sammy seems tired too, but miles better than Dave.

Yes and yes,

But he is not getting any younger. I grew up with all of this stuff. I will take Sammy any day of the week. MF kicks some a** live. :codger: :haz:

• Like 1

Ed, you're a prick.

Eddie aspires to prick. He's a friggin fraud and a cancer.

Now, right? Because between 1978 and 1995 he was the furthest thing from a "fraud" imaginable. He is, in fact, the most influential rock guitarist of all time. Who is in second? Hendrix? Page? I really don't know. But whoever you choose, they are miles behind him.

I'm a little baffled by all this Eddie van halen hate that's gone down in recent years. Yes, he's a f***ed up human being. Yes, he hasn't been kind to his band mates. But what gets me is the bashing of his playing and the " Eddie is overrated " bullshit. Its f***in irritating. Who gives a shit what personality a musiciN has? Buddy rich and jaco pastorius, two examples of other influential guys who were known maniac assholes. Do I care? Nope. I care about the music. That's it.

Mean Street came on Spotify today. That effort alone speaks to the genius of Eddie Van Halen.

That whole album does. That monster riff at the beginning of "Dirty Movies," the outtro of One Foot Out the Door, all of it.

I think part of the problem is his lack of output. VH basically had 20 years of original material and most would accept that the second ten years was nowhere near as meaningful as the first. Since then it's been years of strange behavior, pointless feuding, premature health crises and poor playing.

This tour could go a long way to rehabilitating his image and legacy. It's been a long time since he's played well consistently but he finally looks truly physically healthy. I hope for his sake they keep it together and have something to show for it other than yet another problematic tour and bitchy feuding.

Have to agree with both of you here. The late 90´s and the 00´s were not kind to Eddie, and even though he influenced 100% of all guitarrists that came after him in one way or another, a few events have tarnished his reputation. Further evidence of that can be found below:

Ed, you're a prick.

Now, right? Because between 1978 and 1995 he was the furthest thing from a "fraud" imaginable. He is, in fact, the most influential rock guitarist of all time. Who is in second? Hendrix? Page? I really don't know. But whoever you choose, they are miles behind him.

I like EVH as much as the next guy (unless you're the next guy, I guess), but he ain't the most influential rock guitarist of all time. even the modern shredders take more from randy and unfortunately yngwie.

EVH's influence is all over the 1980s, it can't be denied. most people who picked up a guitar in the 80s did it with eddie in mind. into the 90s, you hear less and less of EVH in any music. hendrix, page, iommi, these guys can still be heard in almost all serious rock bands today. in fact, iommi might be 2nd only to hendrix because he not only spawned an entire genre but also influenced punk, industrial, grunge, you name it, and the stoner rock genre of today is almost entirely iommi-based.

of course, we probably listen to different modern bands and the new bands you're into might be doing EVH stuff. who knows. but EVH is definitely top 10 most influential, maybe top 5, but not #1

Ed, you're a prick.

I like EVH as much as the next guy (unless you're the next guy, I guess), but he ain't the most influential rock guitarist of all time. even the modern shredders take more from randy and unfortunately yngwie.

EVH's influence is all over the 1980s, it can't be denied. most people who picked up a guitar in the 80s did it with eddie in mind. into the 90s, you hear less and less of EVH in any music. hendrix, page, iommi, these guys can still be heard in almost all serious rock bands today. in fact, iommi might be 2nd only to hendrix because he not only spawned an entire genre but also influenced punk, industrial, grunge, you name it, and the stoner rock genre of today is almost entirely iommi-based.

of course, we probably listen to different modern bands and the new bands you're into might be doing EVH stuff. who knows. but EVH is definitely top 10 most influential, maybe top 5, but not #1

Malmsteen doesn't exist without Van Halen. Not every guitarist is a clone of Van Halen's. But he has more of them than anyone else. I love Zeppelin, Hendrix, and most of all Sabbath. But Van Halen revolutionized lead guitar playing in a way no one else did IMO.

Sammy seems tired too, but miles better than Dave.

Yes and yes,

But he is not getting any younger. I grew up with all of this stuff. I will take Sammy any day of the week. MF kicks some a** live. :codger: :haz:

Yes he does! He reminds me of Joe Walsh in that respect.
  • Like 1

Mean Street came on Spotify today. That effort alone speaks to the genius of Eddie Van Halen.

That whole album does. That monster riff at the beginning of "Dirty Movies," the outtro of One Foot Out the Door, all of it.

:yes:

Ed, you're a prick.

Yeah, I have to agree with bath on this. Eddies influence , though huge in the grand scope of rock guitar history, really was for one decade, the 80s. Although, if you mention his name among modern guys, they still now down to him. He's one of a handful of living legends.. If he walked into a room full of random guitarists, everyone would go silent. Page, Clapton, Beck, and yeah, iommi would get that same reaction.

• Like 1

Ed, you're a prick.

Malmsteen doesn't exist without Van Halen. Not every guitarist is a clone of Van Halen's. But he has more of them than anyone else. I love Zeppelin, Hendrix, and most of all Sabbath. But Van Halen revolutionized lead guitar playing in a way no one else did IMO.

malmsteen's more of a blackmore/schenker/uli jon roth dude from what I know.

but yeah, if you dig EVH more that's cool and perfectly understandable, I still don't think he's numero uno in the influence department. he still rocks though

Ed, you're a prick.

Nonsense...........I love EVH as much as the next guy maybe even more. There used to be a Malmsteen tape floating around on the net of him playing when he was around 15-16 yrs old which was right around 79 or so. He even then was technically brilliant and just as if not more technically proficient than EVH.

Ed, you're a prick.

Nonsense...........I love EVH as much as the next guy maybe even more. There used to be a Malmsteen tape floating around on the net of him playing when he was around 15-16 yrs old which was right around 79 or so. He even then was technically brilliant and just as if not more technically proficient than EVH.

There are tons of people faster than Van Halen. You can go to Guitar Center and hear them every day. But learning to play Eruption and creating Eruption when no one else had are two different things.

• Like 1

Ed, you're a prick.

You can find Violinists all over the world who can easily play pieces by Vivaldi and Paganini...does that lessen their impact?..folks need to stop focusing on the flashy aspects of Eddies style..he was so much more than that. He was/is one of the greatest rythm players in rock history. His phrasing, tone, dynamics...these are what make him great. The flashy stuff is just an added bonus.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 2

Ed, you're a prick.

You can find Violinists all over the world who can easily play pieces by Vivaldi and Paganini...does that lessen their impact?..folks need to stop focusing on the flashy aspects of Eddies style..he was so much more than that. He was/is one of the greatest rythm players in rock history. His phrasing, tone, dynamics...these are what make him great. The flashy stuff is just an added bonus.

He has a brilliant ear for melody.
  • Like 1

I can't name one Malmsteen "song". I can name many EVH songs, so can Joe Public. Therein lies true genius, it's why I am considered blasphemous when I express ow little respect I have for say someone like Jeff Beck, I'm not a guitar player so I don't have the same level of appreciateion others do, to me he's just a guitar player in a cover band. Write a song occasionally !

I can't name one Malmsteen "song". I can name many EVH songs, so can Joe Public. Therein lies true genius, it's why I am considered blasphemous when I express ow little respect I have for say someone like Jeff Beck, I'm not a guitar player so I don't have the same level of appreciateion others do, to me he's just a guitar player in a cover band. Write a song occasionally !

To be singularly innovative and popular as well is the stuff of genius.

Ed, you're a prick.

Malmsteen was influenced by Uli jon Roth and possibly even Blackmore but influenced by EVH.....not likely. Malmsteen couldn't write a memorable riff if he tried like EVH, but he was on the other side of the globe already technically brilliant as early as 78 if not earlier. And to say he doesn't exist w/o EVH holds no basis in reality other than it being your opinion. Edited by Achilleslastand

I guess what Rick means is that EVH opened the doors for that shredding style - even though he's MUCH more than that - and this drove the attention that Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Tony Macalpine, Vinnie Moore and many, MANY more got in the 80's.
  • Like 1

I guess what Rick means is that EVH opened the doors for that shredding style - even though he's MUCH more than that - and this drove the attention that Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Tony Macalpine, Vinnie Moore and many, MANY more got in the 80's.

That is exactly what I meant Rodrigo. :-)

• Like 1

That is exactly what I meant Rodrigo. :-)

It´s 08:30 in Rio, so a bit too early for a beer, but here it goes: :cheers:

And hey, I listened to Inside once again the other day - I´m still not convinced it´s a good song, it sounds more like filler...but it does have some great bass lines and a killer solo!

• Like 1