People you love who hate Rush

toymaker

My mom. She doesnt hate rush, but she hates the fact i listen to rush. Its not "normal for a girl"

Seriously? That's nuts.

• Like 1

It seems like my whole family is like this....

I am the only one that loves Rush. Everybody else hates them. When I started listen to Rush, my brother did not even give them a chance, he started to hate them right away! So I can not even play their music when my brother comes home...

I only know one other person in my immediate, outside-of-TRF life who cares about or likes Rush (I would include one older brother of mine who used to, but he has long since drifted away from them)...my one friend who does like them, we saw the Clockwork Angels tour together in the summer of 2013.

But that's it. I don't have many friends at all (including the guy I just mentioned, I can count them all on one hand, with a couple of fingers and a thumb to spare), so there isn't a huge anti-Rush or indifferent-to Rush contingent in my life.

I get to enjoy them here, and on my own. And they're the most important band, for me, in my life. That's all I need.

My mom. She doesnt hate rush, but she hates the fact i listen to rush. Its not "normal for a girl"

Seriously? That's nuts.

I agree! That's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that, mother of all machines.

• Like 1

My brother doesn't like Rush at all, although it was probably unfortunate that the first song he heard from them was High Water :P I think his reaction was something like 'what's this crap?'

Interestingly, people mention on here that people seem to either 'love or hate' Rush, and don't get into them gradually. My best friend, however, has heard me playing Rush now and then when he's over, and seems to have started appreciating them.

I was blasting 2112 from the Rush in Rio DVD a few weeks ago and he came up the stairs saying 'that sounds awesome, what is it?' and I proudly told him it was Rush. He seemed to find it cool that Rush was 'jamming' most of the time and there weren't any vocals (it was the Overture section leading into Temples, so that's why. Not sure what he thinks of Geddy's vocals, although he liked Force Ten).

Maybe there's hope for him yet :)

One thing is sure, he absolutely loathes Genesis and constantly takes the p*ss out of Phil Collins's age, and the age of most bands in general. In fact, he saw Neil drumming while I was watching something on my iPhone and said 'Look at that old bas****.'

Edited by CountFloyd84

My wife does not like Rush - and would not go to a show with me unless I insisted (I don't - she's never been.) She appreciates the reasons that I love them, as she knows that music is my passion and Rush is the reason that I started, We share a lot of interests and appreciate many of the same things, but music is not really among them. (I don't like alot of the music that she prefers to listen to.) It might seem strange for a couple, one of which is a musician, to have such disparate tastes - but we make it work. I go to shows with my Rush buddies (in several states now...) and most of my listening these days is in my car or on headphones late at night (though I occasionally crank up my 5.1 system on weekends!)

It's funny, I had "converted" two of my prior girlfriends to complete Rush obsession when I was a teen or in my 20's. I met my wife when I was closer to 30 and it just never took. She would hear the stuff - admittedly, she was mostly put off by Geddy's voice, his nose, distorted guitars, and overly intense arrangements/lyrics. I have successfully gotten her into some rock - at least she can listen to some things with guitars now... lol Rush is a bridge too far!

• Like 1

MY wife hates about 90% of the music I love (and I love her! hahaha!)

Over the past 20+ years, we've grown to listen to our OWN stuff when the other one isn't around, and respect each others taste by only playing XM channels, or CD's that we both can tolerate.

Concert wise...we go to a few things together (mostly bands like Elton John, Billy Joel, Chicago, Zac Brown Band, Jimmy Buffett... stuff like that. A friend that was supposed to go see Roger Waters Wall show with my had to cancel at the last minute, and since I was having some medical issues, and wasn't really supposed to drive at that point in time, my wife offered to go WITH me, and ended up really enjoying the show!

My best friend in high school wasn't a big Rush fan, then one day he heard 2112 (after only hearing what little stuff they played on the radio back then) and was hooked from that point on!

• Like 2

My brother. He's into Skillet and Avenged Sevenfold, which isn't my cup of tea but I can tolerate it. He's also into Katy Perry and all that other pop radio crap. And he says that *I* listen to awful music. :sigh:
  • Like 1

Most of my friends and family don't care for Rush. I have a few musician friends that really dig them, but nothing like I do. I'm not sure what has to happen to make someone turn on to the band. There has to be something that attracts some people and really turns off others.

This band and their fans are like no other. We're like a big huge family all around the world.

• Like 1

Seriously? That's nuts.

I agree! That's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that, mother of all machines.

Could be worse, though. When i was 9 she prohibited me listening to my music because i suffered bullying. Great way to solve it, i was even more depressed. Anyway she seems to have learned, but she would prefer me to listen to 1D and that stuff. I get her point, she wants her lil girl to be fit between friends. Thats wh i love her (awwwwww <3 )

My brother. He's into Skillet and Avenged Sevenfold, which isn't my cup of tea but I can tolerate it. He's also into Katy Perry and all that other pop radio crap. And he says that *I* listen to awful music. :sigh:

OMG,

I hate that pop crap. :facepalm:

OMG,

My nieces and nephew are all into whatever is on the top 40 radio at the time...and their mother is all over it as well.... my brother in law is a Rush/Floyd/Zeppelin fan, but is a wuss when it comes to playing that stuff when anyone other than just himself is in the car! My Wife (his sister) plays what she wants when the kids are in the car, and they deal with it! (well unless the 16 year old is in, she plays her crap...but is at LEAST getting into a little country (newer stuff.. Zac Brown, Jason Aldean, etc) and not so much of the flippy hoppy hop crap!)

• Like 1

OMG,

My nieces and nephew are all into whatever is on the top 40 radio at the time...and their mother is all over it as well.... my brother in law is a Rush/Floyd/Zeppelin fan, but is a wuss when it comes to playing that stuff when anyone other than just himself is in the car! My Wife (his sister) plays what she wants when the kids are in the car, and they deal with it! (well unless the 16 year old is in, she plays her crap...but is at LEAST getting into a little country (newer stuff.. Zac Brown, Jason Aldean, etc) and not so much of the flippy hoppy hop crap!)

I hate being stuck in a car when that sh** is on. :LOL:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

OMG,

Trust me, i know. Parties at my age, meeting with friends, family that seem never to grow up... I can only listen alone. Because its even worse when u know the crap latin music like cumbia or reggaeton (not reaggae) and i wish u never know it. Its awful

Edited by mother of all machines
  • Like 1

It's hard, ain't it? One of my very best friends can't stand them. Can't even get her to watch the documentary.

What have you done in attempts to make them see the error of their perception? Any success stories?

Most people I like don't like RUSH. I don't try to convince them or anything. It would really annoy me if a friend tried to convince me that Skrillex is good music so I don't do the same thing to them.

Except that I have good taste in music and my friends don't but everyone is convinced to have good taste in music so this isn't an argument :LOL:

Edited by Tuesday's Gone
  • Like 1

OMG,

This is what headphones are for.

Fortunately my son has good taste and my wife is, while not a fan, accepting of our taste.

• Like 2

It's hard, ain't it? One of my very best friends can't stand them. Can't even get her to watch the documentary.

What have you done in attempts to make them see the error of their perception? Any success stories?

One of my best friends couldn't stand Rush; just hated them for some reason. Didn't even want to give them a chance and would roll his eyes at their mention.

One day I had to run into my house to get something, leaving him in the car with PeW playing. This wasn't done intentionally, it just happened to be playing at the time.

I ended up taking a lot longer than I expected. But when I got back out to the car, i discovered that he had been mesmerized by "Freewill". He kept quoting the lyrics and wanted to hear it again and again.

So all my active attempts to turn him onto Rush went nowhere, but unintentionally leaving him in the car with PeW playing did the trick. Thereafter he was always wanting to hear more Rush and became a huge fan.

• Like 4

One of my best friends couldn't stand Rush; just hated them for some reason. Didn't even want to give them a chance and would roll his eyes at their mention.

One day I had to run into my house to get something, leaving him in the car with PeW playing. This wasn't done intentionally, it just happened to be playing at the time.

I ended up taking a lot longer than I expected. But when I got back out to the car, i discovered that he had been mesmerized by "Freewill". He kept quoting the lyrics and wanted to hear it again and again.

So all my active attempts to turn him onto Rush went nowhere, but unintentionally leaving him in the car with PeW playing did the trick. Thereafter he was always wanting to hear more Rush and became a huge fan.

I think sometimes people get it into their head that they're not going to like something before they really give it a chance.

• Like 3

Good thing he didn't leave you in the car with Presto playing.

• Like 2

Good thing he didn't leave you in the car with Presto playing.

:syrinx: ....
  • Like 2

OMG,

Fortunately my son has good taste and my wife is, while not a fan, accepting of our taste.

Except,

When I am in a car. No headphones are gonna happen. I like to know what is going on around me when I am outside of my home. ;)

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

OMG,

Except,

When I am in a car. No headphones are gona happen. I like what is going on around me when I am outside of my home. ;)

I usually do too but I make an exception for aural assault.

• Like 1

OMG,

Except,

When I am in a car. No headphones are gona happen. I like what is going on around me when I am outside of my home. ;)

I understand,

But when you drive with me. I need everyone's attention.

OMG,

Except,

I understand,

You mean you don't insist, as the driver, that the car will not move when shit is coming out of the speakers?

• Like 2

OMG,

Except,

I understand,

You mean you don't insist, as the driver, that the car will not move when shit is coming out of the speakers?

In my household its drivers choice...
  • Like 1