People you love who hate Rush

toymaker

It's hard, ain't it? One of my very best friends can't stand them. Can't even get her to watch the documentary.

What have you done in attempts to make them see the error of their perception? Any success stories?

• Like 2

I thought this was about TRF members at first... :LOL: As far as the "real" question I have never convinced anyone to love Rush other than my kids and it was only by allowing them to hear their music and taking them each to a show. My son is a musician and he really appreciates them of course... :) Edited by Narps
  • Like 6

Why do you care if your friend doesn't like Rush?

I have a friend that likes Alter Bridge. I can't stand them. We respect that (in this instance) we don't like the same thing.

We are still friends.

• Like 4

Look, there's no gettin' around it, Rush was an acquired taste back in the day.

How many of my Zep/VH/Priest/Maiden/Crue/Whatever hard rock fans always said (Yeah, Peart's the man on the skins, but man...can't stand Geddy's voice).

That falsetto turned a lot of rockers off.

But once you do - if you do - acquire the taste...there's no going back. :)

If there are two frontmen whose vocals are readily, immediately, identified by virtually any casual rock fan who's worth their salt, it's Geddy Lee and Freddie Mercury. For better or worse. :)

Edited by Bard
  • Like 2

I have a friend that likes Alter Bridge. I can't stand them. We respect that (in this instance) we don't like the same thing.

We are still friends.

Yep,

I have two good friends that love Primus. It ain't happening with me. But we are good close friends and music is never a thing to lose a great friendship over.

• Like 1

How many of my Zep/VH/Priest/Maiden/Crue/Whatever hard rock fans always said (Yeah, Peart's the man on the skins, but man...can't stand Geddy's voice).

If there are two frontmen whose vocals are readily, immediately, identified by virtually any casual rock fan who's worth their salt, it's Geddy Lee and Freddie Mercury. For good or worse. :)

Just to clarify, Geddy didn't sing using falsetto in the 70s (very rarely after as well) apart from a little bit of Rivendell.
  • Like 1

Ray Daniels is that you? lol

I agree, Geddy's voice (and image) back in the day worked against Rush.

Their success was the result of great music and relentless touring.

This is really the truth of the matter. There are a few polarizing bands and personalities in this world and I would put Rush in that category especially back in the day. "I kind of like Rush" :tsk: Nah. Don't hear that one much if any. For me its like also being a Stern fan. Folks "get it" and love him or hate his guts...
  • Like 1

It's hard, ain't it? One of my very best friends can't stand them. Can't even get her to watch the documentary.

What have you done in attempts to make them see the error of their perception? Any success stories?

Broken beer bottle to the neck, then I piss on their grave while crying thinking "why couldn't you give The Big Money a chance"?

• Like 1

Broken beer bottle to the neck, then I piss on their grave while crying thinking "why couldn't you give The Big Money a chance"?

That doesn't sound like a success story . . . :scared:

• Like 1

We are still friends.

You are, of course, very wrong about Alter Bridge!

;)

• Like 2

I don't care what my friends think of my taste, just as I don't care about many here who hate on mine.

Which is lucky coz Rush get more hate than Toto or Springsteen in my everyday life. Which is a shame for them.

• Like 2

Don't try to force people to love rush. It won't work and will only make them go from dislike to hate.

:goodone:

Yep,

And most of them have only heard what is played on the radio.

• Like 2

If there are two frontmen whose vocals are readily, immediately, identified by virtually any casual rock fan who's worth their salt, it's Geddy Lee and Freddie Mercury. For good or worse. :)

Just to clarify, Geddy didn't sing using falsetto in the 70s (very rarely after as well) apart from a little bit of Rivendell.

No doubt. But his range is so high, people THINK he did/does. One of the things that's brought up a lot about Rush. ;)

• Like 2

I don't care what my friends think of my taste, just as I don't care about many here who hate on mine.

Which is lucky coz Rush get more hate than Toto or Springsteen in my everyday life. Which is a shame for them.

Yes,

Its nothing to lose a friend over.

• Like 1

No doubt. But his range is so high, people THINK he did/does. One of the things that's brought up a lot about Rush. ;)

It's odd...the first time I played MP, I heard his voice and I was sold!

He needed to cry out supplication. The music demanded it.

• Like 2

Don't try to force people to love rush. It won't work and will only make them go from dislike to hate.

Yep,

Yep. Its not like playing Journey's greatest hits for somebody. Rush is very different and over most folks heads...
  • Like 1

Yep,

LOL. And there's those fans who only know Rush via Tom Sawyer.

And those guys that only know Van Halen via Jump.

Arrgh. That's why we gotta stand through the radio hits at the shows, the songs we've heard a hundred times live, and we'd literally kill for a deep cut like Cut to the Chase or Chemistry or Afterimages or whatever, but no...no, that bastard The Casual Fan has GOT to hear Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio and Limelight because that's what they know.

Sigh. ;)

• Like 1

Yes,

Its nothing to lose a friend over.

I have friends though who do try to make me feel stupid for liking classic rock as much as I do.

But ignoring them saved me from Nickleback, Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.

Mock me for Toto...but I sure am glad I ain't a fan of them.

(I do like LP's first two albums though).

• Like 1

Yep,

LOL. And there's those fans who only know Rush via Tom Sawyer.

And those guys that only know Van Halen via Jump.

Arrgh. That's why we gotta stand through the radio hits at the shows, the songs we've heard a hundred times live, and we'd literally kill for a deep cut like Cut to the Chase or Chemistry or Afterimages or whatever, but no...no, that bastard The Casual Fan has GOT to hear Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio and Limelight because that's what they know.

Sigh. ;)

Tom Sawyer is a great example of Rush to be honest.

Anything of 1984 makes me gag. Don't ask me why, I love AOR, cheese and synth rock but that album makes me gag.

Wasn't a fan until I noticed the love here for Van Halen and started with the debut. Wowsers!

Edited by Segue Myles