People you love who hate Rush

toymaker

I don't care what my friends think of my taste, just as I don't care about many here who hate on mine.

Which is lucky coz Rush get more hate than Toto or Springsteen in my everyday life. Which is a shame for them.

Yes,

Its nothing to lose a friend over.

Hope my original post did not suggest that I'd consider ending a friendship over divergent tastes. I just think it would be great to be able to share with this close friend something that is meaningful to me (and sure, some might say "it's just a band," but I've seen loads of posts that suggest that it's pretty important to a lot of folks).

I had a Rush buddy when I was growing up, but he was killed in a car accident over 20 years ago. My new Rush buddy is my wife, which is awesome (although she is still tentative around some of the early stuff).

Also, you folks are my virtual Rush buddies, ya bunch of net boys and net girls!

• Like 2

Don't try to force people to love rush. It won't work and will only make them go from dislike to hate.

:goodone:

Yep,

And most of them have only heard what is played on the radio.

LOL. And there's those fans who only know Rush via Tom Sawyer.

And those guys that only know Van Halen via Jump.

Arrgh. That's why we gotta stand through the radio hits at the shows, the songs we've heard a hundred times live, and we'd literally kill for a deep cut like Cut to the Chase or Chemistry or Afterimages or whatever, but no...no, that bastard The Casual Fan has GOT to hear Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio and Limelight because that's what they know.

Sigh. ;)

Tom Sawyer is a great example of Rush to be honest.

Anything of 1984 makes me gag. Don't ask me why, I love AOR, cheese and synth rock but that album makes me gag.

Wasn't a fan until I noticed the love here for Van Halen and started with the debut. Wowsers!

I actually dig the song, but I was just pointing out the common patterns in every arena band's setlist, things they MUST play to sell tickets.

VH's Fair Warning, I still maintain to this day, is the finest hard rock album ever dropped. IMHO. :)

It kills a longtime VH fan to understand so many folks only know them via Jump or Panama or Hot for Teacher. When they have so many lovely deep cuts.

It's far more prevalent with radio friendly bands like VH. Rush, well....even their 'hits' are often too 'prog-alt' for the casual rawker. Especially chicas. Which is why Rush is a such a sausage fest live. :)

• Like 1

Look, there's no gettin' around it, Rush was an acquired taste back in the day.

How many of my Zep/VH/Priest/Maiden/Crue/Whatever hard rock fans always said (Yeah, Peart's the man on the skins, but man...can't stand Geddy's voice).

That falsetto turned a lot of rockers off.

But once you do - if you do - acquire the taste...there's no going back. :)

If there are two frontmen whose vocals are readily, immediately, identified by virtually any casual rock fan who's worth their salt, it's Geddy Lee and Freddie Mercury. For good or worse. :)

Just to clarify, Geddy didn't sing using falsetto in the 70s (very rarely after as well) apart from a little bit of Rivendell.

No doubt. But his range is so high, people THINK he did/does. One of the things that's brought up a lot about Rush. ;)

It's odd...the first time I played MP, I heard his voice and I was sold!

ATWAS is what did it for me. :codger: :haz:

• Like 2

I don't care what my friends think of my taste, just as I don't care about many here who hate on mine.

Which is lucky coz Rush get more hate than Toto or Springsteen in my everyday life. Which is a shame for them.

Yes,

Hope my original post did not suggest that I'd consider ending a friendship over divergent tastes. I just think it would be great to be able to share with this close friend something that is meaningful to me (and sure, some might say "it's just a band," but I've seen loads of posts that suggest that it's pretty important to a lot of folks).

I had a Rush buddy when I was growing up, but he was killed in a car accident over 20 years ago. My new Rush buddy is my wife, which is awesome (although she is still tentative around some of the early stuff).

Also, you folks are my virtual Rush buddies, ya bunch of net boys and net girls!

It wasn't,

Just that music can be a really intense subject at times.

• Like 1

Look, there's no gettin' around it, Rush was an acquired taste back in the day.

How many of my Zep/VH/Priest/Maiden/Crue/Whatever hard rock fans always said (Yeah, Peart's the man on the skins, but man...can't stand Geddy's voice).

That falsetto turned a lot of rockers off.

If there are two frontmen whose vocals are readily, immediately, identified by virtually any casual rock fan who's worth their salt, it's Geddy Lee and Freddie Mercury. For good or worse. :)

Just to clarify, Geddy didn't sing using falsetto in the 70s (very rarely after as well) apart from a little bit of Rivendell.

No doubt. But his range is so high, people THINK he did/does. One of the things that's brought up a lot about Rush. ;)

It's odd...the first time I played MP, I heard his voice and I was sold!

ATWAS is what did it for me. :codger: :haz:

As well it should... :codger:
  • Like 1

Neither my husband nor my very close friends are Rush fans, and I don't think I could ever do anything to make them like the band. It's a shame, since music--and Rush especially--means so much to me, I want to be able to share that with my friends. I am lucky that most of my friends do get a kick out of my love for the band, and they're tickled to hear that I'm travelling to see the band.

Luckily I do have a handful of friends who are fans and that is cool. I've even been able to travel to some out-of-town shows with them on the last tour.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 5

Neither my husband nor my very close friends are Rush fans, and I don't think I could ever do anything to make them like the band. It's a shame, since music--and Rush especially--means so much to me, I want to be able to share that with my friends. I am lucky that most of my friends do get a kick out of my love for the band, and they're tickled to hear that I'm travelling to see the band.

Luckily I do have a handful of friends who are fans and that is cool. I've even been able to travel to some out-of-town shows with them on the last tour.

Awesome!

Plus, none of them are changing my mind about the band. Its in the blood! :geddy: :rush:

• Like 2

Yes,

I have friends though who do try to make me feel stupid for liking classic rock as much as I do.

But ignoring them saved me from Nickleback, Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.

Mock me for Toto...but I sure am glad I ain't a fan of them.

(I do like LP's first two albums though).

Some of it is overplayed but I like everything linkin park has done. A Thousand Suns is one of my favorite albums from the last 10 years.

• Like 1

My mom. She doesnt hate rush, but she hates the fact i listen to rush. Its not "normal for a girl"

Believe me,

Back when ATWAS came out,

My mom about killed me. :LOL: I stood my ground though. :D

• Like 1

This is really the truth of the matter. There are a few polarizing bands and personalities in this world and I would put Rush in that category especially back in the day. "I kind of like Rush" :tsk: Nah. Don't hear that one much if any. For me its like also being a Stern fan. Folks "get it" and love him or hate his guts...

Good analogy with Stern. Both Rush and Howard seem to fall into the love/hate realm. (Sirius 100 is one of my presets in my car)

When I was in late middle school/early high school (mid/late 80s), I was in obsessed Rush fanboi mentality. If you didn't like Rush, I didn't like you. I then matured.

Ex-wife certainly wasn't a Rush fan. She liked to go to shows but it was for the party atmosphere. Always felt it was a waste to get a ticket for her but I wasn't 'allowed' to go alone. As a typical male, I had almost zero influence on wedding planning other than insisting on some of the music. During the reception, my best friend (best-man) and I played a nice instrumental medley for everyone. Return Of The Prince got to be played.

Because Rush is such an 'old' band, it is rare that I every try to turn anyone on to them. If they haven't heard them and liked them by now, it's kind of pointless. But if they have been living under a rock for the last 20 years, I will certainly make a recommendation.

• Like 1

This is really the truth of the matter. There are a few polarizing bands and personalities in this world and I would put Rush in that category especially back in the day. "I kind of like Rush" :tsk: Nah. Don't hear that one much if any. For me its like also being a Stern fan. Folks "get it" and love him or hate his guts...

Good analogy with Stern. Both Rush and Howard seem to fall into the love/hate realm. (Sirius 100 is one of my presets in my car)

When I was in late middle school/early high school (mid/late 80s), I was in obsessed Rush fanboi mentality. If you didn't like Rush, I didn't like you. I then matured.

Ex-wife certainly wasn't a Rush fan. She liked to go to shows but it was for the party atmosphere. Always felt it was a waste to get a ticket for her but I wasn't 'allowed' to go alone. As a typical male, I had almost zero influence on wedding planning other than insisting on some of the music. During the reception, my best friend (best-man) and I played a nice instrumental medley for everyone. Return Of The Prince got to be played.

Because Rush is such an 'old' band, it is rare that I every try to turn anyone on to them. If they haven't heard them and liked them by now, it's kind of pointless. But if they have been living under a rock for the last 20 years, I will certainly make a recommendation.

Wasn't allowed?

Maybe I am reading it wrong but no one is telling me that sh**! :LOL:

Wasn't allowed?

Just caught that myself. I ask but not allowed is even foreign to me...
  • Like 1

Wasn't allowed?

Hence, ex-wife

• Like 2

Wasn't allowed?

Just caught that myself. I ask but not allowed is even foreign to me...

I don't care who you are,

No one will ever win that argument. I am going. :cool: :codger: :rush:

I don't think I know anyone who hates them. Most of the people I know who aren't fans think they're good but have no interest in their music. Either that or they're indifferent.
  • Like 1

Segue, give me your post-Toto IV top 10 list of songs, if you don't mind. I'd like to give them a listen. I might have to skip over anything that sounds even remotely like that cockadoody "Georgie Porgy" song, though.

It was Geddy's voice that I loved within seconds of first hearing it .. Just like the first time I heard "Surrender" or "Rock and Roll All Night" - and I know some people who just can't stand Geddy's voice and could never get past it ( or, over it considering he toned it down later on )

Very polarizing band

My best friend from kindergarten plays bass - and ever since the beginning of time, we have had a good natured ( for the most part ) debate over who is a better bass player - Geddy or Chris Squire ( my friend is a huge YES fan )

So while sitting around the cafeteria in high school circa 1983, involved in our usual discussion, I said "If I can balance this chair on one leg, Geddy is a better bass player" - so I take the typical cafeteria chair with 4 skinny metal legs, and I get it to balance on one leg - this prompted laughs and cheers from our geek friends ..

My friend then tries the same thing - I guess things are different when you are 14 or 15, because when my friend proceeded to balance another chair the way I did, he starts to stand up and raise his arms, but before he could say anything I kick the chair across the cafeteria and say:

"WHAT DOES BALANCING A CHAIR HAVE TO DO WITH BASS PLAYING ANYWAY ?!?!?!"

To this day, we still laugh about that

And we still debate the bass player question

Edited by Lucas

My closest friend probably wouldn't have Rush in her Top 50 bands (yes, another in the "I hate his voice" camp). So whatever, she's otherwise a great friend so I don't let it bother me too much.

On a side note, of all your friends/family, etc, who hated Geddy's voice (I am assuming it's the early Rush stuff), did any of them end up appreciating the band eventually? I mean, Geddy's voice in later years sounds pretty different from the early years.

Don't try to force people to love rush. It won't work and will only make them go from dislike to hate.

Agreed. Instead, be happy that it's one less person you'll have to fight for tickets if they tour again. :)

• Like 3

Yes,

I had a similar unfortunate experience, my good friend who during summer camp on a bus trip to Canada (!) introduced me to Rush in 1979 (Bastille Day, ATWAS) passed about ten years ago. I famously initially refered to it as "head music." What an unknowing young kid I was! And the date he passed...May 24th.

My closest friend probably wouldn't have Rush in her Top 50 bands (yes, another in the "I hate his voice" camp). So whatever, she's otherwise a great friend so I don't let it bother me too much.

On a side note, of all your friends/family, etc, who hated Geddy's voice (I am assuming it's the early Rush stuff), did any of them end up appreciating the band eventually? I mean, Geddy's voice in later years sounds pretty different from the early years.

Nope.

Either they loved Rush from the get-go like me, or they never did.

I think Rush is one of those all in bands. :)

I have never seen a friend grow to liking rush gradually. LOL.

Once they're heard Geddy's voice, it's either Yes! Or No. :)

• Like 1

Not everyone I know love Rush, but no one I know hates them. Given the luck I have meeting people, I find much more embarassing sharing my passion for Rush with someone who's a total a**hole!

Well, I think that my mum liking Rush is because of me. I'm not exactly sure how but she never did like Rush and now she does like them. My twin brother who used to like them now doesn't :huh: (he now listens to pop music now :scared: ) Edited by LittleRushmonkey