Porters

barney_rebel

I love porters! That Mill St. Coffee Porter sounds pretty tasty Barney, I don't believe I've seen it before. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is one of my favorites, especially on tap. Of course I've always loved Sam Smith's Taddy Porters. trink38.gif

I'm guessing that's a Stone Smoked Porter in your fridge davey? Good stuff indeed! trink38.gif Yep, I'm still working at the bar but the girl situations there haven't been much to talk about lately. I've given up on the ones I work with....well, except for two. biggrin.gif Anyway, that's another topic. I'm still hoping to try one of those Mill St. Coffee Porters someday. trink39.gif

Tonight with dinner, it was my first taste of Flying Dog's "Road Dog" Scottish Porter. Poured a nice dark reddish brown, and had a pleasant taste...but it was a little on the weak side. A little thin and watery tasting, but certainly not bad. I'm not sure I'd pick up another six, but a single bottle (like this time) once in a while seems do-able. The best thing about this porter is the label:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/206.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/bottle-roaddog-label.jpg "Good Beer, No Shit" laugh.gif

Porter??

I don't think I've heard of them.

Why don't you all SEND ME SOME and then and let you know what I think?

;-)

I have no clue if it is true, or where they can be had, but I have been buying a porter called

Original Flag Porter

Supposedly the yeast used was found in a shipwreck from along time ago in the English Channel I believe.

Wish I had the bottle in front of me so I could get my facts right.

I like it a lot, individual bottles selling for just under 3 bucks.

If you see it try it.

Anyone see it before??

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jul 31 2006, 12:24 AM)
I have no clue if it is true, or where they can be had, but I have been buying a porter called

Original Flag Porter

Supposedly the yeast used was found in a shipwreck from along time ago in the English Channel I believe.
Wish I had the bottle in front of me so I could get my facts right.
I like it a lot, individual bottles selling for just under 3 bucks.
If you see it try it.

Anyone see it before??

now if I went to google I wouldn't be on HERE,

duh!

thanks for the links

Porters are a tried & true favorite style of mine. But then again the only styles I do not like are Heffeweizen or most other wheat beers ( Pyramid being the exception) and Scottish Ales, not a fan of the scoth taste.

I've had several smoked beers and they are good if done correctly. I've gone to the Great American Beer Festival in Denver twice and tried the strangest of the strange and the tangiest of the tang.

What a super pickler that event is. Unlimited samplings, the last time I went there was around a 1000 to try.

Locally, Odell Brewing makes Cutthroat Porter. Slightly smokey with chocolate undertones, it makes for a great porter.

It is even better when the Crown Pub (Fort Collins, CO) puts it on tap fed with nitro.

Hmm... someone is getting thirsty.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 12 2005, 10:25 PM)
5.5% ALCOHOL...sounds like a swigger

trink38.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 1 2006, 01:40 PM)
Porters are a tried & true favorite style of mine. But then again the only styles I do not like are Heffeweizen or most other wheat beers ( Pyramid being the exception) and Scottish Ales, not a fan of the scoth taste.

I've had several smoked beers and they are good if done correctly. I've gone to the Great American Beer Festival in Denver twice and tried the strangest of the strange and the tangiest of the tang.

What a super pickler that event is. Unlimited samplings, the last time I went there was around a 1000 to try.

"All they served was beer, in teensy-weensy glasses."

QUOTE (anagramking @ Oct 24 2007, 08:16 AM)
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/303.jpg

I tried this one last night. I think I'm going to have to try a few others. I liked this one as well.

Tried this one recently. Very good. I'm a big fan of the porter style now.

The Rogue Mocha Porter is one of my currently faves. trink38.gif

Trying a new porter (new to me) right now:

Butte Creek Organic Porter.

It is quite good. Smoother than most porters, without so much aftertaste.

The guy who sold me this stuff told me that the Butte Creek company was started by the guy who used to be the brewmaster for Sierra Nevada, but then went out on his own to start his own company. For whatever that is worth.