50 or 80 live disc box set

madrushian

Metallica is releasing a 50 disc box set of live material and the Grateful Dead are releasing a 80 disc box set of livrmaterial with a book and unreleased material. W how bad the Grateful Dead box that would cost you $700. Would you do this if rush did a huge multi-disc box set.

I would pre order it in a second especially if it included either the art book or the illustrated history of Rush with it.

• Like 2

I know this much: I wouldn't spend a single dime on Metallica or Grateful Dead...

If Rush was to do something similar, I would hope it covers materiais from tours which haven't had an official live release.

• Like 3

Never for all 3 bands mentioned. Come to think of it not for any band for that matter. The Dead would have to pay me to take the thing and it would have come with free skeet shooting equipment as well... :codger:
  • Like 3

Dead stuff is all over the place online....With their liberal recording/trading culture, you're just lazy (and rich) if you buy something like that.... Metallica? who cares!

Rush is a little more conscientious of their fans (and lacking when it comes to recorded stuff I'm afraid, but hopefully I'm wrong) I think you'd see some sort of box set...then maybe individual releases every few years in the future to fund their vacations!

• Like 3

If Rush were to release a box set of FULL, remastered concert performances - maybe one show for each tour they have done over the last 40 years, ( maybe 2 shows, for tours that had substantial setlist changes) - I would be ALL OVER that. Just to have official remastered recordings of FULL shows from the Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals tours would be worth every penny to me!
  • Like 7

Never for all 3 bands mentioned. Come to think of it not for any band for that matter. The Dead would have to pay me to take the thing and it would have come with free skeet shooting equipment as well... :codger:

I'm a huge Deadhead, but I gave you a like just for the creative way that you expressed yourself, there...

:P

And no, I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for a Dead box set. I have about 800 of their shows in my collection already (yes, literally...I'm not exaggerating that figure).

With Rush...I'd have to see what they'd come up with. They may be the only band I'd splurge for, like that.

• Like 1

I'm a huge Deadhead

Bless you. I honestly don't know how anybody does it. It must be one of those things in life you either "get" or just don't...
  • Like 2

I'm a huge Deadhead

Bless you. I honestly don't know how anybody does it. It must be one of those things in life you either "get" or just don't...

I have to be in the right mood...Phish is one that I just can't get! And I know a bunch of serious Dead Heads that feel the same way! That's about the only band I'll flip when they come on Jam On on XM!

I've picked up a lot of Dick's Picks over the years, and when the mood strikes, I can dig into them!

I would buy a mega-set because there are so many early tours not fully documented with reasonable sound but it would be a bit redundant and overkill for many fans. Static setlists and old concert favorites would get too repetitive for many.

A complete show from every major tour would comprise of approximately 50 disc, which would be costly. On the other hand, a targeted series that fills in the gaps of the official releases, would be most welcomed. Considering the amount of officially released live material, there still are many holes.

I would buy a mega-set because there are so many early tours not fully documented with reasonable sound but it would be a bit redundant and overkill for many fans. Static setlists and old concert favorites would get too repetitive for many.

A complete show from every major tour would comprise of approximately 50 disc, which would be costly. On the other hand, a targeted series that fills in the gaps of the official releases, would be most welcomed. Considering the amount of officially released live material, there still are many holes.

If you count ABC 74, then there would be a need for a FBN show, and a CoS show..and possibly some gaps for a 2112 tour show.

They'd need to fill in blanks from the Hammersmith show since they only released PART of it, an entire Hemisphere's show, and a possible "pre" PW tour show.

A PW tour show, fill in blanks for a MP show, a Signals show. fill in for a Gup show, an entire Power Windows, show, and fill in for HyF show.

Then we'd need a Presto, Roll the Bones, and Counterparts show!

After that I think they're covered...

They'd also need the tunes that they swapped out on any given tour...

That's a LOT of material! (did I miss any?)

• Like 1

I am unemployed/pensioner and i am flat dead broke but i think i would rob a bank if multi live disc was released.That goes for Zeppelin too.Interestingly my last splurge was Physical Graffiti 2cd delux and Deads 4 disc Sunshine Daydream and lived on cheap wine and noodles for a week.
  • Like 1

I'm a huge Deadhead, but I gave you a like just for the creative way that you expressed yourself, there...

:P

And no, I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for a Dead box set. I have about 800 of their shows in my collection already (yes, literally...I'm not exaggerating that figure).

With Rush...I'd have to see what they'd come up with. They may be the only band I'd splurge for, like that.

I've only got about 200 dead shows but stopped collecting about 10 years ago. I'll go to archive.org and check out new shows every once in awhile. The 700 bucks is ridiculous. Don't understand why anyone would pay that. The 80 discs are made up of one show from each of their touring years from 65-95.

Seriously doubt I would pay big bucks for a Rush box unless the mythical headlining COS show with Lamneth magically shows up.

• Like 1

I'm a huge Deadhead

I have to be in the right mood...Phish is one that I just can't get! And I know a bunch of serious Dead Heads that feel the same way! That's about the only band I'll flip when they come on Jam On on XM!

I've picked up a lot of Dick's Picks over the years, and when the mood strikes, I can dig into them!

I like the Dead. I'm going to all 3 Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago next month. I'm also a huge Phish fan.

Granted they are all different styles but what I like about all 3 bands (Rush included) is the level of musicianship involved. While Rush is more technically structured and very rarely ever strays from that structure, I love the freedom of the music of both Phish and the Dead. I equate it to the same thing as jazz music (which i also love) where you never know what you are going to get. Both bands are also heavily rooted in the music that inspired them. You hear lots of bluegrass and folk music in the roots of the Dead.

I know the music is not for everybody but I just get annoyed with people who see heavy drug use and hippies and immediately tune it out. I may be a rarity because I don't do those things but I really enjoy the freedom of the music and being able to connect with it as it is happening.

With that being said, I don't feel like paying anything for majorly huge box sets. I would love to have the dead box when it comes out but I think I love having 700 bucks to spend on other things in my pocket a lot more.

I saw like 30+Phish shows between 95-2002 and can safely say i rarely if ever actually listen to them now.

I collceted around 400 Dead shows myself and as is rarely listen to them but still love them and find myself emotionally connected to their music. Especially he jazzy jammy stuff between 72-74 and a few of rhe early Brent tours like fall 79 and 81-82. I also love the Hornsby period hey did some really great stuff on those first few tours as well. I always wish Rush could strech out more live and mix things up even more. But that's just who they are.

Someone once told me that you have to experience Phish live to appreciate them...well I never saw The Dead live and I've always thought they had something cool about them!

I have a LOT of Dead, but I have a lot of other bands...and I get about two shows into a Dead phase, then something else pops up, and the show "on deck" gets put aside for something else...

Love the Hornsby era...but I love Hornsby's solo stuff, too! I have a 10 disc Hornsby compilation that's AMAZING! I pull that one out usually during the summer when the windows are down, and I'm in that kind of mood! (he's been trumping the Dave Matthews stuff lately...)

• Like 1

If Rush were to release a box set of FULL, remastered concert performances - maybe one show for each tour they have done over the last 40 years, ( maybe 2 shows, for tours that had substantial setlist changes) - I would be ALL OVER that. Just to have official remastered recordings of FULL shows from the Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals tours would be worth every penny to me!

That would be all over something like that. This I think would be more appealing to the fans

Edited by madrushian

Rush concerts don't have the variety of songs (or ways of playing the songs) that the Dead have, so it would make a lot less sense for them to do this type of thing.

Rush concerts don't have the variety of songs (or ways of playing the songs) that the Dead have, so it would make a lot less sense for them to do this type of thing.

Imagine if Rush did what the jam bands did with setlists?!?!? :facepalm:

We'd all need professional help by the third show! :smash:

• Like 2

Too much. They should allow individual shows to be purchased. Metallica has done this and it's great. I bought the concert I went to and I bought my sis-in law the show she went to years before and gave it as a present. She loved it!

Ooh damn. Mouth is watering. I just want that scroll!! Oh well maybe ill just grab fhat 4 disc box as long as it has the Veneta Dark Star. (Am I right Blue J?)

If you are to only keep two or three Grateful Dead shows in your whole collection, Veneta 8/27/72 should be one of them, yes!

That show has my favourite versions of Bird Song and Playin' in the Band as well. ;)

I'm a huge Deadhead

Bless you. I honestly don't know how anybody does it.

:laughing guy: <-- me, when I read that...

What can I say? They were a very emotional thing for me when I was younger; not so much now. Their album American Beauty (1970) is something that seriously and majorly helped me through my brother's death when I was a kid. That one and Hold Your Fire. So...maybe that offers a clue or two.

But anyway, yeah...saw the Jerry Garcia Band live for the first time in 1991 (I was 18), and then about 20-25 Grateful Dead shows over the remaining years that Garcia was alive.