Clockwork Angels

Na na na

I like CA a lot....but...and its not exclusive to this album...I take breaks...and then go back to it...Hemispheres Book 2 has the exact same effect on me....sonically it could be a bit crisper with more headroom...but its no VT version 1 either....VT 2 actually sounds like Rush...power and clarity....

Oh...and Carnies. :moose: the :baabaa: effect.

Soooo Headlong Flight does nothing for you?

It's great musically. Lyrically it annoys. I just don't like the story...

For me, the lyrics can rarely detract much from a song, but they can add a lot to it. We're not talking about horrible, Counterparts level of cringe-inducing lyrics. Most of the lyrics are fine, but the story may not be the best ever. I just forget that I ever read the book and try to enjoy the album for what is on the album. The Garden and Halo Effect are beautiful and interesting on their own. No need to try and get "deeper" by tying it into the extra garbage in the book. Headlong Flight has a great idea and fine lyrics. If not for the ties to the book, we'd be much more able to think about airships like we think about alloy air cars or "the wire". Nothing in the song needs to be tied to the story to make sense or evoke emotion or thought.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

For me, the lyrics can rarely detract much from a song, but they can add a lot to it. We're not talking about horrible, Counterparts level of cringe-inducing lyrics. Most of the lyrics are fine, but the story may not be the best ever. I just forget that I ever read the book and try to enjoy the album for what is on the album. The Garden and Halo Effect are beautiful and interesting on their own. No need to try and get "deeper" by tying it into the extra garbage in the book. Headlong Flight has a great idea and fine lyrics. If not for the ties to the book, we'd be much more able to think about airships like we think about alloy air cars or "the wire". Nothing in the song needs to be tied to the story to make sense or evoke emotion or thought.

Living proof that those who are baked most if the time CAN make wonderful sense of our world.

• Like 1

The book drove me nuts with the " as Owen sat in the apple orchard trying to decide between apples or melons he declared ' I SHALL DINE ON HONEYDEW I CHOOSE FREEWILL'!!!!!!"......ugh....it was like can you please stop that...no really just stop. Edited by JBsDWdrums
  • Like 2

I feel like Caravan and BU2B often get overlooked because the came out so long before the other songs, but what great songs they are. Add these two to more classics like the title track, Anarchist, Headlong, Garden and you have a very strong maybe even classic record. Still waiting on Botrill or somebody to give this a remix which it so badly needs.
  • Like 2

I think you make a good point here.

The book drove me nuts with the " as Owen sat in the apple orchard trying to decide between apples or melons he declared ' I SHALL DINE ON HONEYDEW I CHOOSE FREEWILL'!!!!!!"......ugh....it was like can you please stop that...no really just stop.

:LOL:

The book drove me nuts with the " as Owen sat in the apple orchard trying to decide between apples or melons he declared ' I SHALL DINE ON HONEYDEW I CHOOSE FREEWILL'!!!!!!"......ugh....it was like can you please stop that...no really just stop.

• Like 1

Some people just like simple, mindless drivel. I'd rather hear the pontificating.

Gee that answers so many floating questions.

Yeah, that I like smarter lyrics. :LOL:

• Like 1

There is really a Clockwork Angels book? :eh:

The book is good only because it fills out the story described in the lyrics. You learn more about the Caravan, why Our Hero was Brought Up To Believe, etc. Unfortunately, Neil turned over the actual writing to another author who did a horrible job with it. We've ended up with a "novel" that is really a short, one-dimensional, childrens' story :(

http://kjablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/CA-dust-jacket.jpg

http://smile.amazon....a-no-redirect=1

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 2

Some people just like simple, mindless drivel. I'd rather hear the pontificating.

Gee that answers so many floating questions.

Yeah, that I like smarter lyrics. :LOL:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/12/1281c74793668b3a15723338915ff440b107544465544efc471f14dc6e35f5e3.jpg

• Like 2

To further back up The Wreckers drumming, I noticed today during live performances they have a big flash of light whenever Neil smashes a cymbal for the lightning

I like the Wreckers.

So... you all have me thinking about Clockwork Angels and its status as an epic masterpiece. I strikes me that so many people I admire can't be wrong about this, so I've listened and searched for what you're all hearing. This is what I've come to...I think there is an epic masterpiece in there, although it's somewhat shorter than what RUSH eventually put out.

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

• Like 1

So... you all have me thinking about Clockwork Angels and its status as an epic masterpiece. I strikes me that so many people I admire can't be wrong about this, so I've listened and searched for what you're all hearing. This is what I've come to...I think there is an epic masterpiece in there, although it's somewhat shorter than what RUSH eventually put out.

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

Above you said you liked the Wreckers( are you including that in the list? )

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

Above you said you liked the Wreckers( are you including that in the list? )

Yeah...I like it well enough, but I think it just misses the cut in the end.

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

Goose...my man...you left out HF,the heaviest song they've written.

SCOG got some love I see. Nice. It's maligned for no good reasons. Geddy shreds in all phases on it. They could have made it shorter, but no. I'll take it all.

BU2B2 has been a source of irritation for many because it's not a "song". I don't get that. It's a transition--what's wrong with that?

• Like 6

BU2B2 has been a source of irritation for many because it's not a "song". I don't get that. It's a transition--what's wrong with that?

Exactly. It's not meant to be a single or anything.

I do have to say that I do like every song on CA. The heavy ones are fantastic, the lighter ones are great--there's nothing bad there in my book.

• Like 6

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7. The Garden

8. Caravan

Remove Carnies and plug in Headlong Flight and I can deal with it. 7COG not a favorite but I could live with it. You did leave off the two real stinkers at least... :cheers:
  • Like 1

Halo Effect and Wish Them Well and BU2B2 could've been left out without effecting the album whatsoever

Halo Effect is a great song in my view. First one that really caught my attention on my first listen...
  • Like 2