Where do I start with Bruce Springsteen?

A motorcycle is a dangerous machine! That is surely a huge part of the thrill of riding one?

The use of the word suicide here is referring to the thrill and romanticism of the drama between the two protagonists and their riding off to some new chapter.

It is pretty clear why the word is used, and to say otherwise is just dumb.

• Like 1

So I used $26 of my birthday money to but Born To Run on vinyl. My dad and I love it! Thanks again, Segue!
  • Like 3

I love Springsteen...always have and always will. Saying Springsteen sucks is as stupid as saying Queen's music belongs in an incinerator...just completely ridiculous.

Queen's music belongs on a turntable, being enjoyed by discerning people.

Springsteen's does too, actually. As an enhanced interrogation technique.

• Like 2

I love Springsteen...always have and always will. Saying Springsteen sucks is as stupid as saying Queen's music belongs in an incinerator...just completely ridiculous.

It was a joke more than me being serious...

• Like 1

So I used $26 of my birthday money to but Born To Run on vinyl. My dad and I love it! Thanks again, Segue!

Yay!

It is a great album, and you may have spoiled yourself with this pick, there is a small chance you might find the rest underwhelming haha!

• Like 1

Yay!

It is a great album, and you may have spoiled yourself with this pick, there is a small chance you might find the rest underwhelming haha!

:LOL: You may be right, but if my digestion of Queen, Rush, and Muse's catalogues has taught me anything, it's that even even if I pass my favorite album first or sooner in going through their discography, I can still greatly enjoy the rest of the catalogue.

• Like 2

Yay!

:LOL: You may be right, but if my digestion of Queen, Rush, and Muse's catalogues has taught me anything, it's that even even if I pass my favorite album first or sooner in going through their discography, I can still greatly enjoy the rest of the catalogue.

Phew! Not all are like that!

And to back up Queen: I greatly admire Innuendo and really enjoy it. But the rest of their back catalogue makes me so irritable and I truly HATE the experience without being blind to the talent.

It is no different to others slating my beloved Toto or even Springsteen. Queen are one of those bands that initially deterred me from classic rock in my younger days because I expected nearly all of it to be the same! Really, really, not a fan at all, but I slated them more in jest ReGor...sorry if I offended.

• Like 1

I recommend both The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle and Darkness On The Edge Of Town next Entre! Both VERY different to BTR, the former jazzier and more fluid, the second powerfully emotive, dark, and very visual (as far as music can be visual haha).
  • Like 1

Yay!

Phew! Not all are like that!

And to back up Queen: I greatly admire Innuendo and really enjoy it. But the rest of their back catalogue makes me so irritable and I truly HATE the experience without being blind to the talent.

It is no different to others slating my beloved Toto or even Springsteen. Queen are one of those bands that initially deterred me from classic rock in my younger days because I expected nearly all of it to be the same! Really, really, not a fan at all, but I slated them more in jest ReGor...sorry if I offended.

Kk, while I do sustain a small disappointment that you may never enjoy the magic of their back catalogue, this does make sense to me. I like you no less!

I recommend both The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle and Darkness On The Edge Of Town next Entre! Both VERY different to BTR, the former jazzier and more fluid, the second powerfully emotive, dark, and very visual (as far as music can be visual haha).

Thanks again! I'll certainly look into getting another one soon, though I'm not sure which yet. As an update to my previous review, I'm starting to like "She's The One" a lot more, as well as "Jungleland" of course.

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen eh.. where do I start.. lol
  • Like 1

I'm going to give Bruce Springsteen a chance since Segue keeps mentioning him. Where should I start, and does he have any iconic live albums?

Please don't start. Just end it all.

Bit rude. Go to one of your own million threads

• Like 1

Jungleland is amazing. That part where it goes down to just slow piano chords after the yearning but never quite reaching sax solo gets me every time.

Jungleland is amazing. That part where it goes down to just slow piano chords after the yearning but never quite reaching sax solo gets me every time.

Jungleland and New York Serenade are my two favourite Springsteen songs at the moment. I get tingles everytime from the sax in JL!

Glad you are still appreciating this album, it is still growing in me after five years of living with it! It is a monster classic!

• Like 1

Okay, update time. I spent a good long while towards the end of last year with Darkness On The Edge of town (as did my dad), and we agreed that, while it seems very good, very powerful and the like, it's just not got that same magic touch as Born To Run does for us (my dad claims it just needs another solid rocker, and I agree but I appreciate and understand what Bruce was trying to do with maintaining the mature theme of the album). I like it very much, and I'm sure it would reward me more with each ensuing listen through, but after I returned it to the library I didn't miss it very much.

However...

I just bought The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle yesterday on iTunes because it was extremely cheap and I know my dad loves Rosalita . . . I love this darn thing to death. It tastes like summer, my favorite season, and it tastes like every single thing I've experienced that makes summer great. Yes, I'm saying tastes because one's sense of taste is generally more powerful than one's sense of hearing, and that's how great this album is. The lengthy songs never once get boring, the jamming never once feels indulgent, every second feels perfectly utilized to achieve maximum happiness. And while it doesn't quite have the total dramatic fair of Born To Run which I love so much on that record, the youthful romanticism, summery soundscapes and imagery, and every other neat thing I could say about it is like a cool refreshing drink on a perfectly hot summer day on a trip or vacation to a waterpark, or theme park, or band camp, with only the most special prep le in your life around you having one of the most beloved experiences of your youth. How someone could listen to this and not be cheered up is just beyond me. And after all of that . . . We have New York City Serenade. With the epic sweep of Jungleland, the true New York touch of Piano Man, and as much beauty as can be imagines in its near ten minute span, it's a masterpiece to say the least. I love it.

Thank you again for the recs Segue. I would probably still be all pessimistic about Springsteen due to his 80s stuff if you hadn't steered me right. Invaluable additions to my mental songbook.

• Like 4

Bruce is one of my favorites as well. So glad you got to experience The Wild and The Innocent and your description of summery soundscapes is dead on. Rosalita is one of my all time highlights and you gotta love the horns on E Street Shuffle and Kitty's Back! (Sounds like your dad has great taste as well! :) )
  • Like 3

Bruce is one of my favorites as well. So glad you got to experience The Wild and The Innocent and your description of summery soundscapes is dead on. Rosalita is one of my all time highlights and you gotta love the horns on E Street Shuffle and Kitty's Back! (Sounds like your dad has great taste as well! :) )

Well he still only knows Rosalita, but I'll be seeing that Amps211 hears this album ASAP.

• Like 3

Okay, update time. I spent a good long while towards the end of last year with Darkness On The Edge of town (as did my dad), and we agreed that, while it seems very good, very powerful and the like, it's just not got that same magic touch as Born To Run does for us (my dad claims it just needs another solid rocker, and I agree but I appreciate and understand what Bruce was trying to do with maintaining the mature theme of the album). I like it very much, and I'm sure it would reward me more with each ensuing listen through, but after I returned it to the library I didn't miss it very much.

However...

I just bought The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle yesterday on iTunes because it was extremely cheap and I know my dad loves Rosalita . . . I love this darn thing to death. It tastes like summer, my favorite season, and it tastes like every single thing I've experienced that makes summer great. Yes, I'm saying tastes because one's sense of taste is generally more powerful than one's sense of hearing, and that's how great this album is. The lengthy songs never once get boring, the jamming never once feels indulgent, every second feels perfectly utilized to achieve maximum happiness. And while it doesn't quite have the total dramatic fair of Born To Run which I love so much on that record, the youthful romanticism, summery soundscapes and imagery, and every other neat thing I could say about it is like a cool refreshing drink on a perfectly hot summer day on a trip or vacation to a waterpark, or theme park, or band camp, with only the most special prep le in your life around you having one of the most beloved experiences of your youth. How someone could listen to this and not be cheered up is just beyond me. And after all of that . . . We have New York City Serenade. With the epic sweep of Jungleland, the true New York touch of Piano Man, and as much beauty as can be imagines in its near ten minute span, it's a masterpiece to say the least. I love it.

Thank you again for the recs Segue. I would probably still be all pessimistic about Springsteen due to his 80s stuff if you hadn't steered me right. Invaluable additions to my mental songbook.

When I first got I to Springsteen, I bought a box set of his first seven albums. I almost gave up in him.

But the album that quietly hooked me was The Wild. I find it intoxicating, and the 2014 remaster only added to its glory!

Also, Bruce made a conscious effort to create an album of songs with Darkness that didn't follow on from the bold and blind exuberance of BTR's youthful protagonists. It is sort of the flipside to youthful dreaming, the harsh realities. Ask me which I enjoy the most between BTR and Darkness, I would say Born To Run, easy. But ask me which is better, and I truly cannot tell you.

It is good you are taking your time with Bruce! I also adore Greetings From Asbury Park, N J. and The River is likely my favourite album of his. I say likely, but the first five albums to my ears all are deeply precious to me!

I haven't been hooked on The Boss for months! I miss him!

There are a lot of nuances to his work. One thing I love about him is he often left off great songs to ensure the album flowed perfectly. He wasn't after hits in the early days, and sometimes the leftover songs were saved for the next album.

One song written during the Darkness sessions was Sherry Darling. Wow. Thank goodness he saved that for the River! And also, The River and Independence day were written for Darkness as well. When I listen to Darkness, the selection and coordination of the songs are so spot on perfect for capturing the experience as he wanted it to sound, that the thought of trading any one song for another I love more (he also has an excellent double album, The Promise, containing more songs leftover from The Darkness sessions) is unthinkable! I am glad, though, that he continued to spread great songs across various albums. I couldn't be without them!

The fact you felt slightly disappointed in a sense is a positive. It wasn't designed to be the joyous wonder that is BTR. The song Badlands was inspired by Terrence Malick's movie of the same name, and I think that tone was set for the entire record.

I need to go play some of The Boss right now!

• Like 3

I was 15 years old when "Darkness on the Edge of Town" came out.

I was a rock and roll kid who spent nearly every waking moment obsessed with music.

Not quite "fitting in", music was my salvation from the awkwardness of youth.

Speingsteen's music spoke to me, and my lower middle class existence like scripture.

I bought the first three albums within days and had them memorized with a couple of days after that.

I bought ever album since then as new releases.

His brand of rock and roll really speaks to me.

I think the three album run of "Born to Run", "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "The River" are among the best trio of albums in all of rock history.

• Like 3

I was 15 years old when "Darkness on the Edge of Town" came out.

I was a rock and roll kid who spent nearly every waking moment obsessed with music.

Not quite "fitting in", music was my salvation from the awkwardness of youth.

Speingsteen's music spoke to me, and my lower middle class existence like scripture.

I bought the first three albums within days and had them memorized with a couple of days after that.

I bought ever album since then as new releases.

His brand of rock and roll really speaks to me.

I think the three album run of "Born to Run", "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "The River" are among the best trio of albums in all of rock history.

To my ears they form a trilogy of records connected by a theme: growing up.

Musically, I love how each of these three albums grow in personality. Born To Run is hope, joy, and youthful follies. Darkness is disappointment, growth, and regret. The River is just everything the earlier two records hinted at, and is as diverse as life itself!

The first two albums merely hint at these themes, but of course they do so in such a glorious way I don't think of them as warm ups for the big deal, or as weaker records.

Nebraska is another album I love. That was just Bruce letting his stories flow, and they are so vivid I am still waiting for the big screen adaptation.

Born In The USA is a mere celebration of all that had come before, but I also think it hints towards his new direction. The band feel more controlled, and by Tunnel Of Love, Springsteen became more of a solo act. Poetic and genuinely human, Tunnel Of Love is like diary. I want the remaster! It is his most dated release sonically!

• Like 3

Start with the knees, and work your way up.

Only kidding, love the guy. I'll stick with my original post, Darkness & 75-85.

My one beef though, is the media over here(Ireland). He's playing here in May, and you'd swear he was going to cure cancer during the gigs. Too much brown nosing.

And I haven't missed a tour in 20 years, but it's just a gig, a very good one, but that's it. He's not the Messiah.

• Like 3

Well he still only knows Rosalita, but I'll be seeing that Amps211 hears this album ASAP.

I put it on for one song as I was heading out this morning ... I remember the E Street Shuffle too ... I think it plays a little on classic rock radio here and there ... peppy song ... good morning groove ... not quite Stevie Wonder's superstition but it will get you moving too

Edited by Amps211
  • Like 3

Start with the knees, and work your way up.

Only kidding, love the guy. I'll stick with my original post, Darkness & 75-85.

My one beef though, is the media over here(Ireland). He's playing here in May, and you'd swear he was going to cure cancer during the gigs. Too much brown nosing.

And I haven't missed a tour in 20 years, but it's just a gig, a very good one, but that's it. He's not the Messiah.

Try living in New Jersey!

I have three friends. They worship the man. Springsteen could do no wrong. Sadly, the biggest fan of the three passed away several years ago. He was a fan from the very beginning. He attended EVERY tour up to his passing away.

• Like 2