The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/drive-on/2010/10/23/carsx-large.jpg Mick...tell Segue to listen to The Cars.

What makes you think I haven't?

What a great band!

• Like 1

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/drive-on/2010/10/23/carsx-large.jpg Mick...tell Segue to listen to The Cars.

What makes you think I haven't?

What a great band!

See, I knew I liked you.

You can thank The Killers. Brandon Flowers is a massive fan and he gives them a lot of credit.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

hm...I've never really found them boring. In fact, quite alternatively, even when their music hasn't necessarily perked my liking,I've amost always found them quite interesting at least, and catchy too. Waaaaaaay catchy.
  • Like 1

hm...I've never really found them boring. In fact, quite alternatively, even when their music hasn't necessarily perked my liking,I've amost always found them quite interesting at least, and catchy too. Waaaaaaay catchy.

I like them, and I have been contemplating thoroughly exploring their work, but I have played three albums and, whilst I didn't feel compelled to play them again, I didn't dislike them either.

There is just something a little overly familiar about their music. I stand to be corrected, however, and if you can think of one particular album that defines their uniqueness above all others, I will more than gladly give it a generous spin!

I like them, and I have been contemplating thoroughly exploring their work, but I have played three albums and, whilst I didn't feel compelled to play them again, I didn't dislike them either.

There is just something a little overly familiar about their music. I stand to be corrected, however, and if you can think of one particular album that defines their uniqueness above all others, I will more than gladly give it a generous spin!

I only have A New World Record and Out Of The Blue, but I love both of those. I hear Eldorado is excellent too.

Rather than quote Mick and Blue J and Segue, I will say that I disagree. Maybe I'm wrong - maybe Rush is still around because they are genuinely that talented rather than that they were lucky and had die-hard fans.

I think in both the seventies and the eighties many bands blew them right out of the water. Sometimes I wonder how they made it so big. Again, an amateur opinion just based on what I am hearing. As you all know, I technically know 1% about music and the intricacies that are involved in playing an instrument.

I completely agree, what I was trying to say is they weren't more successful because, unlike their peers, they played 100% by their own rules!

I think they could have been bigger if they churned out pure pop like Yes, Genesis or Journey (and I use pop as a good thing), but even the most mainstream Rush album is full of twisty, turny, awesome Rush moments of pure weird! That is AMAZING to me, but I know it turns all my friends off completely.

I'm not trying to be purposely disagreeable here, but I still disagree. :codger:

i think they dragged behind their peers. It's true they did what they want, but that was usually after others did it before them.

I don't consider Close To The Edge "pop." Rush wishes they could have turned out a Close To The Edge. I bet they wish they could have turned out a Quadrophenia too. Rush turned out plenty of pop in the eighties. The later the eighties, the more the pop. :LOL:

Again. I'm not trying to be contrary. Just sharing my honest assessment that I have come to via my untrained ear. :)

Aahh you are referring to the seventies...agreed but during the eighties they took on trends and sounded like no one else.

But they never started trends, they just didn't paint my numbers either.

Part of Rush's longevity is that they follow the musical trends of the time. No, they never set any trends but they are paying enough attention to what is going on in the music world to help keep their sound current and relevant. They always sound modern and up to date, but at the same time they always added their own musical identity to everything they've done which helped them to standout. They were probably one of the smartest bands of all time by doing that.

:goodone:

AOR beats prog senseless.

Mick

Yeah!

We speak so much wisdomness!

How the others must feel before us?

Cockroaches they must be!

Mick

Yeah!

all the anger towards AOR is really just anger at themselves cause they can't get it, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Yeah!

all the anger towards AOR is really just anger at themselves cause they can't get it, lol

Mick

They all be upset in twisted knickers.

All they know must pain them.

They have such dumb asses!

• Like 1

I still don't fully know what AOR is? I know what it stands for but I don't see how the label connects to the style of music?

I still don't fully know what AOR is? I know what it stands for but I don't see how the label connects to the style of music?

Stupid label...but it is quite consistently connected to the right sort of artists.

Sonata Arctica are giving my favourite bands a real run for their money.

Verging on Nightwish level obsession here!

• Like 1

AOR to me means.....big melodies, big hooks.......big time sappiness and cheese.

Keyboard/synths help too.

Mick

It is the joyfulness I love, with exquisite production and excellent musicianship.

Like prog with out the self indulgence.