The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Segue, someone just called you a witch on the TRF Daily Log thread.

You're welcome,

Lol. He is one. cause his tastes "magically" change daily.

Mick

:ph34r:

• Like 1

HIM's Love Metal used to be my second favourite album after Karmacode.

I think it still DESERVES to be. I adore it!

• Like 1

Tom Waits is one cool cat. His Discography is like wearing a well worn Coat.........made of spikes and barbed wire. Soaked in gasoline......and set on fire.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Bubble trouble toil and rubble

Grind his face and burn his stubble

Bake his bones

And crush his head

Make it look

As if he's dead

Nah...I am too sweet to be a witch

• Like 1

I would love to here Jon Anderson cover 2112. Not saying it would work, but I bet it would be an ethereal delight in parts!

And I would love to hear Rush cover Close To The Edge.

• Like 1

Tom Waits is one cool cat. His Discography is like wearing a well worn Coat.........made of spikes and barbed wire. Soaked in gasoline......and set on fire.

Mick

I just love listening to him talk. Seriously he has one of the coolest voices in the entire world.

Mick

I just love listening to him talk. Seriously he has one of the coolest voices in the entire world.

Indeed!!!! My fav artist bar none.....including groups and all. Segue didn't get his voice forever.....but he's coming around. Once you get in the groove of what he's creating.......it's beautiful. I would give up my collection if i had to choose 1 artist. For tom it would be worth it.

I hope Segue watches this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STXF9PZkjSQ

Mick

I would love to here Jon Anderson cover 2112. Not saying it would work, but I bet it would be an ethereal delight in parts!

When I first heard Close To The Edge, I thought a woman was singing.

It would have been interesting to hear the young Geddy sing that song. I'm sure he did sing it many times too, since Yes was a big favorite of the band back then.

• Like 1

When I first heard Close To The Edge, I thought a woman was singing.

It would have been interesting to hear the young Geddy sing that song. I'm sure he did sing it many times too, since Yes was a big favorite of the band back then.

I would love to hear it! Just out of curiosity.

Not sure he could carry off the ethereal magic of Jon Anderson's work for Yes, but I know it'd be something special.

Jon Anderson would surely soften 2112, but something tells me the Passion of the protagonist and the sinister nature of the priests would work. Just not in the same way. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THAT!

The heavier, upbeat version of one of my favourite songs from Deep Shadows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxAenPtdmDY

Absolutely love this version, I wouldn't trade it on the album for the released version, but this could easily have been another huge hit for the band!

• Like 1

Spock's Beard-Oblivion particle tomorrow........but i uh....shhhhh.......i heard it already. but i'm buying it tomorrow. official review coming.

Mick

Ooooooh

• Like 1

Spock's Beard- the Oblivion Particle

1. Tiides of time- 8/10 Pretty Standard Spock's Tune. Made to show off their skills. The guitar Licks here and Keyboard Work here remind me of the Morse era. Ted Leonard Is a great fit. and continues to find his footing. I know he's done prog work in the past.....but his vocals really add an AOR Flavor to this band. Solid Opener. and great acoustic work from Alan here.

2. Minion-10/10 Damn me if the hook isn't lifted straight from a Journey Record. Spock's.......always derivative......but always done with a wink. The verses are much different for the hook. but it's all good. nice little soft Middle too. Perfect package this song. Nice showcase for Ryo on piano too.

3. Hell's not Enough-10/10 I LOVE This tune from the almost Tull Like Melody to the hooky Chorus. it's got the spock's humor too. "Some things are Greivious......but that's...........not a word." lol. This is just a great track. and very Classic spock's. Leonard. is a Steve Perry clone vocally. Especially when he hits these big hooks.

4. Bennett Built a Time Machine-10/10. This fun. Very pop-y. this song is about some dude who just built a time Machine. I love the Harmonies in this song. Very old 70's pop song vibe here. I love the guitars that anchor this song. He's going back to change his choices......guided by his inner voices. Visions that he'd seen........Bennett built a time Machine!!!!!!! i love it. Prog instrumental section is top notch too.

5. Get out While you Can10/10. They just keep coming folks. this one's got a dark Sick vibe. Ted even makes he's vocals.....like......paranoid. Got very 70's guitar licks in the verses. And the Chorus. Awesome. I love how Ted Sings....GET.OUT...GET OUT......GET OUT!!!!!!!! This could be heard in a cheesy horror film. my stars......i love this band.

6. A better Way to Fly-8./10. Very foreboding opening from Ryo. This again had a very dark opening. I wasn't quite sure where this one was going. then it explodes into a fast jam. Which we've heard in the past. there's some really great percussion work in the background from Jimmy Keegan I assume here. yea great playing but it's a tad weaker then stuff that's come before on here. then there are the counterpart vocals which they LOVE. a weaker track.....but still good.

7. The Center Line10/10-Another great Classical opening from Ryo. This one has a very AOR Chorus. and feel to it. The more i hear ted the more he's Just the right fit. This just has i'll say again. a VERY BIG AOR sound to it. And almost Beach boy Harmonies. The middle Jame Section. Great interplay between guitars and keyboard here. yea another winner for me.

8. To Be Free Again-9/10 this is the big ten minute song. Great Grand opening. The opening groove is tight man. It sounds big like an epic movie opening. Then it slows down for the verses. I love the down and gritty sound of the song. The Chorus almost Recalls something. but i can't place it. The middle Section is a little sleepy after i was grooving some much to the first part. I will say Ryo really got to shine on this record. Great Piano passage here too not my fav Spock's Epic but still DAMN Good.

9. Disappear-7/10. Probably the Weakest Track here. They should have ended with the previous song. just a slow song into a fast kam. With an acapella break thrown in. Not anything SApecial.

ok. My Final rating.

9/10'

A couple weak tracks. but.......the strong Stuff REALLY carries it. So it deserves a high score. Funny thing is for as hook-y and AOR like as it is. it still wasn't as immediately digestible as the last record. which is why this review took so long, lol It was a grower for sue.

Fav Tracks

Minion

Hell's Not Enough

Bennett Built a Time Machine (My fav track)

Get Out While You Can

The Center Line

To be Free Again.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Oooooooh

Mine check it out

you should. now it's not full AOR.......but this new singer really brings it in that direction. You'd LOVE Bennett Built a time machine,

Mick

Will give it a listen! Not excited about this band...but...remember Kansas? Haha

• Like 1

Oooooooh

Mine check it out

you should. now it's not full AOR.......but this new singer really brings it in that direction. You'd LOVE Bennett Built a time machine,

Mick

Will give it a listen! Not excited about this band...but...remember Kansas? Haha

you said they sucked you silly thing, lol

Mick

Oooooooh

Mine check it out

Mick

you said they sucked you silly thing, lol

Mick

Well I cannot be blown away every first listen of a new band!

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi are currently my two favourite artists. I decided to take the plunge and explore the rest of the bands discography post-1995, and you know what? Aside from Crush and Bounce, I am really pleased with the band and their music.