The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Tusk is my 2nd fav double album. Stung out coke heads they were. they made magic.

Mick

Tusk, The White Album and The River...nope...I cannot choose!

Throw in Karmacode and Tales, you have my top five!

Top 5. doubles.

1. The White Album

2. Tusk

3. Trout Mask Replica (I know, lol)

4. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

5. Meloncholy and the Infitnite Sadness

Mick

1. Tales From Topographic Oceans

2. Tusk

3. The River

4. The White Album

5. Songs In The Key Of Life

• Like 2

HIM-screamworks

1. In Venere Veritas-10/10 The brief Acapella opening made me smile. In Fact the Let's fall apart together hook reminds me of.....and i'm sorry......but a blink 182 song. Just a great high energy opener. Weird how he goes from a melodic vocal to screaming at parts........calls to mind James LeBrie. it does. Especially live LeBrie

Mick

• Like 1

3. Heartkiller--8/10 These guys are good at imitating others on this record. I swear the Chorus recalls.........god help us.......Good Charlotte. Love the synth opening. Great hook. but 2 points off for making me think Good Charlotte.

Mick

• Like 1

4. Dying Song-7/10. I love the little Synth Touches all over this record. This song's good a great brooding verse section. and I LOVE the guitar solo on here. it's only the Chorus that's a bit weak on here for me. other then that it's a good tune.

Mick

• Like 1

5. Disarm Me (With your Loneliness)-5/10. It's a Nickelback Ballad Segue. out of annoyance I must give it a lower score. not to say it isn't hooky. but the artists they choose to recall are strange man, lol. Chad Krouger just came hearing this. lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

6. Love the Hardest Way-8/10 Great Synth Sounds on here again. Records getting a little predictable. but that's not stoping me from enjoying it. Great cheesy handclaps to start each verse. HIM is having great fun for once. instead of brooding.

Mick

• Like 1

7. Katherine Wheel-8/10 Katherine Wheel i'm wheel i'm burning for you??? so cliche. lol. They are pulling every cheeseball out of the bag. and it works. are they perfect songs? not at all times but it always get's a smile. great hook. Chorus. Great.

Mick

• Like 1

13. The Foreboding Sense of Impending Happiness-10/10. Now THIS i love. I love the brooding synths. that electronic beat. Wornderful Vocals. GREAT guitar Lines. Great way to bring it back. this song is saturated with such great sounds. My fav on the album.

Mick

• Like 1

Overall.

6/10.

What starting out as exciting. Really became predictable and sluggish in the middle. What it did it did. well. and the great songs are GREAT. but when i can say what's gonna happen song to song. not good, lol. it closed unbelieveably though.

Mick

• Like 1

Screamworks is the one HIM album that had to grow on me the most! I agree with everything you wrote, and this album is awash with pop punk influence! Ville seems very conscious of the fact that his music is clichéd, and rather than take themselves seriously, they gently mock themselves from start to finish.

Whilst I will not argue personal opinion, Nickleback? Disarm Me is one of my favourite HIM songs, and it was written all the way back in 2001, but took Ville a long time to feel satisfied with it. I don't hear anything Nickleback related in this album, or that song at all.

Overall, a 9/10 for me. It follows the drab Venus Doom and preceded the blander than bland Tears On Tape.

With the number of high scores, 6/10 makes little sense haha!

Aside from Disarm Me, spot on! The rest of the review I either agree with or perfectly understand!

• Like 1

Screamworks is the one HIM album that had to grow on me the most! I agree with everything you wrote, and this album is awash with pop punk influence! Ville seems very conscious of the fact that his music is clichéd, and rather than take themselves seriously, they gently mock themselves from start to finish.

Whilst I will not argue personal opinion, Nickleback? Disarm Me is one of my favourite HIM songs, and it was written all the way back in 2001, but took Ville a long time to feel satisfied with it. I don't hear anything Nickleback related in this album, or that song at all.

Overall, a 9/10 for me. It follows the drab Venus Doom and preceded the blander than bland Tears On Tape.

Aside from Disarm Me, spot on! The rest of the review I either agree with or perfectly understand!

It got low for the predictability. but don't mistake me i enjoyed it. and Disarm Me.........really you can't hear Nickelback? all it needs is a YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

• Like 1

It got low for the predictability. but don't mistake me i enjoyed it. and Disarm Me.........really you can't hear Nickelback? all it needs is a YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

I really don't... It sounds like Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights to my ears.

• Like 1

My ranking of HIM albums:

1. Love Metal- 10/10

2. Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights- 10/10

3. Razorblade Romance (original Finnish release)- 10/10

4. Screamworks- 9/10

5. Dark Light- 9/10

6. Venus Doom- 7/10

7. Greatest Lovesongs vol. 666- 7/10

8. Tears On Tape- 3/10

I put on Tears on Tape.......ummmm.......i'll take fun predictability please.

oh man.

Mick

It is really boring! And I am a mega HIM fanboy!!!

• Like 1

Right Thomas Dolby- The Golden Age Of Wireless

1.Flying North

If Flock Of Seagulls wrote folk music, it would sound like this. A cautious 7/10, but this is quite beautiful!

• Like 1