all this rush retirement/slowing down talk

lifeson90

See the way i see it this is precisely the time our band should be thinkin about more creative output, they relatively very healthy still young of mind, should be thinkin more albums on a more regular timescale every couple years at least, maybe much shorter tours not so much travelling, just more creative sh*t while they still physically cool then when they hit 70s 'maybe' think about retirement and spending more time with grandkids.

While you still got it, use it, and ramp the sh*t up even more, and faster, blaze of glory stuff.

See the way i see it this is precisely the time our band should be thinkin about more creative output, they relatively very healthy still young of mind, should be thinkin more albums on a more regular timescale every couple years at least, maybe much shorter tours not so much travelling, just more creative sh*t while they still physically cool then when they hit 70s 'maybe' think about retirement and spending more time with grandkids.

While you still got it, use it, and ramp the sh*t up even more, and faster, blaze of glory stuff.

They need to lose the weight and get in shape. This is their biggest problem imo. They're way too young to be complaining like theyre 75. Lazy fkkers.

Exactly, I know Moist was just released but they should be working on the next studio album RIGHT NOW.
  • Like 1

They need to lose the weight and get in shape. This is their biggest problem imo. They're way too young to be complaining like theyre 75. Lazy fkkers.

Says someone who has never toured for 40 years... :LOL:

• Like 1

Scuse my French, but boo-fckin-hoo!! How often do these guys actually work during a tour season? 3 hours onstage every other night? Socializing/partying the rest of the time? Sleeping in 5-star hotels and getting room service on a whim? Dining at the finest restaurants, imbibing 40 yr old wines? Off 3-6 months per year? Sounds pretty rough. Perhaps they'd rather have little choice working a normal 40-60 hour workweek fully engaged in doing REAL work, earning a pittance of what they do now? Getting a week off per year for vacation?! Problem is they have been living high on the hog for too long and can't be bothered to do "work" they consider beneath them. So do I really gaf and feel sorry for them b/c they've been quote "working" part-time for 40 yrs? What a joke!

Edited by GeminiRising79

Scuse my French, but boo-fckin-hoo!! How often do these guys actually work during a tour season? 3 hours onstage every other night? Socializing/partying the rest of the time? Sleeping in 5-star hotels and getting room service on a whim? Dining at the finest restaurants, imbibing 40 yr old wines? Off 3-6 months per year? Sounds pretty rough. Perhaps they'd rather work a normal 40-60 hour workweek fully engaged in doing REAL work, making a pittan e of what they do now?! Problem is they have been living high on the hog for too long.. Bottom line is they pretty much have it made and can't be bothered to do "work" they consider beneath them. So do I really gaf and feel sorry for them since they've been "working" part-time for 40 yrs? What a joke!

So are you one of those people who feel like the government "owes" them something? They don't make music for us, they make music for themselves. They've put their time in over the years. It's not like an office job where someone sits and shuffles papers all day. It's like an athlete who knows when to call it a day.

• Like 2

Scuse my French, but boo-fckin-hoo!! How often do these guys actually work during a tour season? 3 hours onstage every other night? Socializing/partying the rest of the time? Sleeping in 5-star hotels and getting room service on a whim? Dining at the finest restaurants, imbibing 40 yr old wines? Off 3-6 months per year? Sounds pretty rough. Perhaps they'd rather work a normal 40-60 hour workweek fully engaged in doing REAL work, making a pittan e of what they do now?! Problem is they have been living high on the hog for too long.. Bottom line is they pretty much have it made and can't be bothered to do "work" they consider beneath them. So do I really gaf and feel sorry for them since they've been "working" part-time for 40 yrs? What a joke!

So are you one of those people who feel like the government "owes" them something? They don't make music for us, they make music for themselves. They've put their time in over the years. It's not like an office job where someone sits and shuffles papers all day. It's like an athlete who knows when to call it a day.

Oversimplistic, bullchit "logic". Nothing personal I assure.

Oversimplistic, bullchit "logic". Nothing personal I assure.

I figured I'd get a nonsensical response.

• Like 1

Scuse my French, but boo-fckin-hoo!! How often do these guys actually work during a tour season? 3 hours onstage every other night? Socializing/partying the rest of the time? Sleeping in 5-star hotels and getting room service on a whim? Dining at the finest restaurants, imbibing 40 yr old wines? Off 3-6 months per year? Sounds pretty rough. Perhaps they'd rather have little choice working a normal 40-60 hour workweek fully engaged in doing REAL work, earning a pittance of what they do now? Getting a week off per year for vacation?! Problem is they have been living high on the hog for too long and can't be bothered to do "work" they consider beneath them. So do I really gaf and feel sorry for them b/c they've been quote "working" part-time for 40 yrs? What a joke!

Yeah I agree...Rush owes us SO much that they are taking advantage of our fan loyalty all these years! I'm going to rip up my ticket and refuse to go based on the fact that they OWE us SO MUCH MORE!

Get a life!

• Like 2

Dude, I don't want them to retire either, but touring isn't the glamorous thing everybody makes it out to be.

but boo-fckin-hoo!! How often do these guys actually work during a tour season? 3 hours onstage every other night? Socializing/partying the rest of the time? Sleeping in 5-star hotels and getting room service on a whim? Dining at the finest restaurants, imbibing 40 yr old wines? Off 3-6 months per year? Sounds pretty rough. Perhaps they'd rather have little choice working a normal 40-60 hour workweek fully engaged in doing REAL work, earning a pittance of what they do now? Getting a week off per year for vacation?! Problem is they have been living high on the hog for too long and can't be bothered to do "work" they consider beneath them. So do I really gaf and feel sorry for them b/c they've been quote "working" part-time for 40 yrs? What a joke!

Money for nothing and your chicks for free.

;)

• Like 1

I have to agree a bit with this. 3 hours, 3 nights a week for 3 months, then off a year or two. Just brutal. Their work is the kind of vacation I go on 1 week a year. I do agree with Fraroc above. Touring probably isn't so glamorous, but they haven't slept on their suitcases in a van for a very long time. Its a cush gig.

• Like 1

I have to agree a bit with this. 3 hours, 3 nights a week for 3 months, then off a year or two. Just brutal. Their work is the kind of vacation I go on 1 week a year. I do agree with Fraroc above. Touring probably isn't so glamorous, but they haven't slept on their suitcases in a van for a very long time. Its a cush gig.

Be that as it may- regardless of what anyone thinks about how grueling it is, or is not, to conduct a tour playing the kind of music they play, in their 60s now...it's a blessing to all of us that they've gone on for as long as they have. Regardless of what reasons they have for not wanting to continue (and maybe I should except Geddy from that- because I think he'll keep playing until he literally can't even stand up anymore)- the point is that they are entitled.

I think the fans have kept them going for awhile now, but even more I think it's probably the deep friendship that the three of them have (how many of us can say that we've ever even had two other friends that close, or even two other friends at all, for a duration of 41 years? I've barely even been alive that long)...

All that being said, though- the decision of whether to continue, or to call it a career, is theirs alone- the three of them, and their families. But not the fans.

• Like 3

Be that as it may- regardless of what anyone thinks about how grueling it is, or is not, to conduct a tour playing the kind of music they play, in their 60s now...it's a blessing to all of us that they've gone on for as long as they have. Regardless of what reasons they have for not wanting to continue (and maybe I should except Geddy from that- because I think he'll keep playing until he literally can't even stand up anymore)- the point is that they are entitled.

I think the fans have kept them going for awhile now, but even more I think it's probably the deep friendship that the three of them have (how many of us can say that we've ever even had two other friends that close, or even two other friends at all, for a duration of 41 years? I've barely even been alive that long)...

All that being said, though- the decision of whether to continue, or to call it a career, is theirs alone- the three of them, and their families. But not the fans.

Well said! I agree completely.

• Like 1

I said this once before and got my head handed to me, but I think it's very selfish of fans to want them to go on at this point. They do have personal lives to live, and there are more important things to them than standing on stage playing music.
  • Like 2

I agree completely.

I realize they are professional musicians and as such they should have the ability and discipline to record and play live while “faking it” but is that what I as a fan really want? I’m embarking on a second career opening a cigar lounge after serving in the AF for twenty years. Why shouldn’t they have career freedom such as I have?

I said this once before and got my head handed to me, but I think it's very selfish of fans to want them to go on at this point. They do have personal lives to live, and there are more important things to them than standing on stage playing music.

Some people can't stand to be realistic. (Or perhaps they'd all had some bad fish for lunch, on the day you had your head handed to you?). :huh:

But I believe you are correct.

Now, would I love for them to go on forever, eschewing both biology and emotion, and make them into superheroes, which I know they are not? Of course! I don't WANT them to quit. But as I said, they are entitled. There is a difference between wanting them to continue, and expecting it. I expect nothing. They have given me far more than I would have ever thought possible.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

I'm not advocating them going on for us or anybody but themselves. I just always have to chuckle a bit when I hear how grueling their work load is.
  • Like 1

Some people can't stand to be realistic. (Or perhaps they'd all had some bad fish for lunch, on the day you had your head handed to you?). :huh:

But I believe you are correct.

Now, would I love for them to go on forever, eschewing both biology and emotion, and make them into superheroes, which I know they are not? Of course! I don't WANT them to quit. But as I said, they are entitled. They have given me far more than I would have ever thought possible.

I don't want them to stop either, but I would rather see them hang it up at this point. It's time. They know it too. Alex just said in an interview that they don't want to wind up like other tired and worn out old rockers.

• Like 1

I'm not advocating them going on for us or anybody but themselves. I just always have to chuckle a bit when I hear how grueling their work load is.

You can chuckle all you want. Are you over sixty? If so, maybe you can go with them on this tour and see how long it takes before you get worn out.

In the Rush book I have, Alex said he didn't know how he was going to get through the R30 tour. And that was over ten years ago. I can't imagine how he feels now about R40.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

The other thing I avoid mentioning because it would send some of you to the shrink for sure ... any one of them could drop dead of a heart attack at any time at this point in their life. Touring is a lot of stress, and stress kills, no matter how well you take care of yourself. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1