all this rush retirement/slowing down talk

lifeson90

I said this once before and got my head handed to me, but I think it's very selfish of fans to want them to go on at this point. They do have personal lives to live, and there are more important things to them than standing on stage playing music.

I'm not advocating them going on for us or anybody but themselves. I just always have to chuckle a bit when I hear how grueling their work load is.

You can chuckle all you want. Are you over sixty? If so, maybe you can go with them on this tour and see how long it takes before you get worn out.

I know 60 year old coal miners and construction workers that work 80 hours a week. I know 75 year old doctors that work 80 hours a week, up all night and then all day. None of them take a year off after a grueling 3 day work week for 3 months. Rush has built a great thing for themselves and can afford to work the way they choose. Great on them. I'm not criticizing that. Just a little perspective about the terrible work load they are under.

I said this once before and got my head handed to me, but I think it's very selfish of fans to want them to go on at this point. They do have personal lives to live, and there are more important things to them than standing on stage playing music.

I'm not advocating them going on for us or anybody but themselves. I just always have to chuckle a bit when I hear how grueling their work load is.

There is no doubt they lead more charmed lives that the rest of it. Being on the road is a grind. Its not all a bunch of laughs. Even though they travel well and stay in good hotels imagine picking up every other day and moving loactions to work and then have to do that again two days later lather rinse repeat. Thats a lot of buisiness and there arent many people who do fhat kind of work week in and week out. There is also press there are people to meet and other requirements on their time as well. How much of that do people even realize. So its not all fun and games though its not what many people call "work". Its a grind and they have been doing this for a long time.

• Like 2

The other thing I avoid mentioning because it would send some of you to the shrink for sure ... any one of them could drop dead of a heart attack at any time at this point in their life. Touring is a lot of stress, and stress kills, no matter how well you take care of yourself.

"The point of the needle

Moving back and forth...

Anything can happen!"

Could happen at any time, but yes, the older one gets, the more and more the statistics are not in one's favor.

You can chuckle all you want. Are you over sixty? If so, maybe you can go with them on this tour and see how long it takes before you get worn out.

I know 60 year old coal miners and construction workers that work 80 hours a week. I know 75 year old doctors that work 80 hours a week, up all night and then all day. None of them take a year off after a grueling 3 day work week for 3 months. Rush has built a great thing for themselves and can afford to work the way they choose. Great on them. I'm not criticizing that. Just a little perspective about the terrible work load they are under.

You know 60 year old coal miners that work 80 hours a week? Where do you live pre industrial revolution Russia?

• Like 6

You know 60 year old coal miners that work 80 hours a week? Where do you live pre industrial revolution Russia?

WV, same thing.

True age is not always a factor. Age is individualistic. But we have 3 guys who say AGE is catching up with them.

If you can work until your 80, you are in the minority.

They also can CHOOSE to retire financially, while Fred the coal miner cannot.

Rush does not have to suck it up and power through to keep working.

WV, same thing.

Touche

• Like 1

True age is not always a factor. Age is individualistic. But we have 3 guys who say AGE is catching up with them.

Never said they did or should. I made a simple comment their grueling work load. Its a cush gig.

Never said they did or should. I made a simple comment their grueling work load. Its a cush gig.

My point is that it isnt. Not at all. Go on the road. How many people live this kind of life??

• Like 1

I wish them well in retirement. Of course they can choose to do what they wish. But They have a special connection with their concert fans. To see that go away forever is sad, as I think they still have some juice left.

To do a limited run at Radio City, Massey or LA would be special, and not monopolize their personal time, and would be a cool way to keep the magic going IF they were physically up for it. The million dollar question is the time for rehearsals. It'd be nice to hear Neils take on this tour (is magnitude = forever).

I tend to agree with you.

You can't simply overlook the fact that Neil would have to play in pain, were he to continue at the "old pace".

No-one wants him to end up crippled, looking at a retirement in pain.

One only has to look at Phil Collins to see where playing through the pain gets you. Certain drumming styles, and I'd say rock drumming is at the top of the list, are very hard on the body, and few people play as hard as Neil.

I'd rather have Neil scale back the playing than see him end up being rendered incapable of playing at anything approaching the level he played at his peak.

Those guys should retire, especially those doctors . . .

What the members of Rush do requires full dexterity and range of motion, as well - not saying that miners and doctors don't also do intricate things, but I don't think it's nearly the same thing unless you're talking about surgery, maybe. Musicians do fiddly things with their fingers, and Rush do it better than a lot of folks - but if there's joint pain going on, you simply can't go on, for much longer, can you?

Not one fck will be given by me if they retire after this. Imo they should've done it back in 2000 and spared us all of the awful material they've produced since then, fouling the truly great Rush historical catalogue, as well.

Weeeell. Thats helpful.

See the way i see it this is precisely the time our band should be thinkin about more creative output, they relatively very healthy still young of mind, should be thinkin more albums on a more regular timescale every couple years at least, maybe much shorter tours not so much travelling, just more creative sh*t while they still physically cool then when they hit 70s 'maybe' think about retirement and spending more time with grandkids.

While you still got it, use it, and ramp the sh*t up even more, and faster, blaze of glory stuff.

What??? Three pages and no Bon Jovi? This simply will not do...

• Like 1

Would just wanna add, true artists never stop, picasso and all the rest went on till the day they died and in the case of picasso his output grew and grew with age... point is, if you still got it in your 60s and are physically capable and mentally motivated with enough energy and all the rest, you really should put your foot down on the gas.

If, in the case of a rock band it becomes too much to tour then ok consider the feasability of purely studio work or nothing at all if inclined but, if all the factors are there for you to continue then plough on head first as hard as you can my view.

You're a long time dead.

Adding up all that we've been told, we're looking at a goodbye to Rush AS WE'VE KNOWN THEM. That is, a predictable cycle of new album followed by extensive touring of U.S., Canada and overseas.

It appears from Geddy's and Alex's comments that they ARE hoping for 2 things eventually:

1. Convince Neil to go into the studio to make at least one more Rush album (probably at minimum 2 years after R40)

2. To play a small number of supporting dates (for any new record) that would keep them away from home no longer than one month

Whether Neil can be persuaded to do any of that is the unknown and will only be answered in time. I'm not counting on it, but think it may be possible if he gets bored and misses playing.

Edited by TexMike

I understand that it took Neil a long time to get back up to snuff on the drums when he decided to return to Rush. Something like a year. Or more. That was fifteen years ago.

He once said that he had to practice every day so he didn't lose his strength or momentum.

It doesn't sound to me that he wants to continue. It also sounds to me that a drummer, if he doesn't practice and keep himself in shape, just can't pick himself up after a year or two of not playing, go into a studio and record an album with his band members.

Maybe I am wrong. :huh:

I understand that it took Neil a long time to get back up to snuff on the drums when he decided to return to Rush. Something like a year. Or more. That was fifteen years ago.

He once said that he had to practice every day so he didn't lose his strength or momentum.

It doesn't sound to me that he wants to continue. It also sounds to me that a drummer, if he doesn't practice and keep himself in shape, just can't pick himself up after a year or two of not playing, go into a studio and record an album with his band members.

Maybe I am wrong. :huh:

You're not.

He's doing this last R40 tour because Geddy asked him to.

I truly doubt he'll be doing anything other than being a dad, husband, and retiree after this tour.

I can't believe all the whiners who are insisting that Rush can and should go on, workload blah blah blah lifestyle blah blah blah easy job blah blah blah.

Greed does not become thee, fanboys.

• Like 1

They WILL go on...either u guys are subsidized by the band to keep promoting their retirement or you just don't get it. Stfu already.

What don't we get? It's guys like you that are in denial. You can't read between the big huge gaps in the lines, apparently. The only way you're gonna believe it is if they say it in loud and bold tone. :)

If you don't know that Neil is already doing this R40 small tour against his better wishes, you haven't been paying attention at all.

• Like 1