all this rush retirement/slowing down talk

lifeson90

I don't think this is it at all. They just need a break after eight years of hard-charging since S&A came out, and just aren't making any guarantees, given their age. They'll be back.

P.S. I've been reading arguments like this on internet message boards since 1991. And hearing them in ticket lines since about 1984.....

Edited by Ron2112

I don't think this is it at all. They just need a break after eight years of hard-charging since S&A came out, and just aren't making any guarantees, given their age. They'll be back.

P.S. I've been reading arguments like this on internet message boards since 1991. And hearing them in ticket lines since about 1984.....

That may be, but they were kids back then. They are in their sixties now.

• Like 1

Sorry for the use of expletives, but you guys are taking the bait. When Rush does surprise everyone with a "unforseen" 21 date US tour after R40 you should feel duped and used.

Do you really think so? I honestly don't. I think this is it.

We'll know Friday what kind of shape they are in.

Lol, Lorraine. Look at the Stones. They are complete toast mentally and physically and still do huge tours approximating 80 yrs old!!

(Demanding $500 per ticket and getting it!)

Comparing Rush to the Stones is a fool's errand. There are anomalies in the music business. The Stones are one of them. They are not on the same scale or tier worldwide. Moreover, the Stones are literally a legacy band.

What is your point here? That you don't want Rush to stop touring, or that they're BS'ing their farewell to pump ticket sales?

Does Peart seem like the kinda guy to you that BS's this kinda stuff?

If so...seriously, you need to watch the Rush doc stat. :)

They're BSing to boost ticket sales. Peart is very well in on the leaks and baiting. I have watched the documentary.

LOL. Honestly, the members of Rush just aren't that nefarious. You're thinking way too much Motley Crue/Live Nation cutthroat style of hype and promotion. And you're not wrong for a fair array of acts who need to try and drum up sales.

But Rush ain't one of those. If you think they're going out on this R40 tour for the money...you're wrong. They're all multi-millionaires, set for life, as well as their children.

They're doing R40 for the fans. And a huge part of that is thanks to Geddy. 'Cause if Alex and Neil had their druthers, this wouldn't be happening. Future one-off outings are nearly at the point of Not a Chance. Not quite. But close.

Oh my goodness, if you believe this you are as naive as they come- if not a band "promoter" (no insult!!). For Rush its 99% about your currency, and separating you from it. There still is an attractive amount of money to be made and Rush will forge on as long as the potential is there. There's no interest whatsoever in taking the higher road in the name of integrity. And, btw, they surely don't consider themselves to be very wealthy. You can always be wealthier!!

Sorry for the use of expletives, but you guys are taking the bait. When Rush does surprise everyone with a "unforseen" 21 date US tour after R40 you should feel duped and used.

Lol, Lorraine. Look at the Stones. They are complete toast mentally and physically and still do huge tours approximating 80 yrs old!!

Comparing Rush to the Stones is a fool's errand. There are anomalies in the music business. The Stones are one of them. They are not on the same scale or tier worldwide. Moreover, the Stones are literally a legacy band.

What is your point here? That you don't want Rush to stop touring, or that they're BS'ing their farewell to pump ticket sales?

They're BSing to boost ticket sales. Peart is very well in on the leaks and baiting. I have watched the documentary.

LOL. Honestly, the members of Rush just aren't that nefarious. You're thinking way too much Motley Crue/Live Nation cutthroat style of hype and promotion. And you're not wrong for a fair array of acts who need to try and drum up sales.

But Rush ain't one of those. If you think they're going out on this R40 tour for the money...you're wrong. They're all multi-millionaires, set for life, as well as their children.

They're doing R40 for the fans. And a huge part of that is thanks to Geddy. 'Cause if Alex and Neil had their druthers, this wouldn't be happening. Future one-off outings are nearly at the point of Not a Chance. Not quite. But close.

Oh my goodness, if you believe this you are as naive as they come- if not a band "promoter" (no insult!!). For Rush its 99% about your currency, and separating you from it. There still is an attractive amount of money to be made and Rush will forge on as long as the potential is there. There's no interest whatsoever in taking the higher road in the name of integrity. And, btw, they surely don't consider themselves to be very wealthy. You can always be wealthier!!

WOW! I thought Neil was the only one who DID NOT want to tour! Alex? Really? I thought he was excited to tour again! Interesting.

Bard....not sure why you keep using the word "greed.". This discussion is about what we THINK, not necessarily about what we want.

Look at it this way: of the last nine years, seven have been touring years. That's comparable to the '84-'93 period -- when Rush was at the height of their career. I believe all the guys are saying is that they need/want to slow down. It doesn't make sense that they would go completely cold turkey creatively when they're at the height of their popularity.

Personally, I think you'll see a couple years off, then maybe an album, just in time for them to decide that 65 or 66 isn't too old to tour again.

Remember, this is the last part of a five year plan that Ray Daniels was talking about back in 2010. They're finishing out that plan then taking time off for their families. But I don't think Rush is done yet.

Personally, I think you'll see a couple years off, then maybe an album, just in time for them to decide that 65 or 66 isn't too old to tour again.

Maybe. But you tell me how a drummer nearing seventy and hasn't practiced every day to keep himself up to speed is suddenly going to get himself together to go out on tour and do an album.

I'm not being snide. I'd like to know how you think Neil would do it.

• Like 2

Lorraine,

You make a lot of assumptions in just one line. Why do you think Neil would just stop playing on this tour? On the other hand, how do you know that taking time off then getting back into shape isn't what he does EVERY tour?

My personal view is that drumming is in Neil's blood. You don't get to be that good just to give it up completely and forever.

Lorraine,

You make a lot of assumptions in just one line. Why do you think Neil would just stop playing on this tour? On the other hand, how do you know that taking time off then getting back into shape isn't what he does EVERY tour?

My personal view is that drumming is in Neil's blood. You don't get to be that good just to give it up completely and forever.

Giving it up completely and forever is a lot different form making an album and touring

My internet isn't working very well right now, but Ron............

I know because of what Neil has said, and what I have heard or read Alex say in the past.

for Neil to get back to what he was in the nineties before his daughter and wife died, it took over a year. Alex has spoken about it a lot. That was when he was much younger.

You may or may not know, but when you get older, you begin to lose strength. That includes strength in your arms.

Neil sounds like he's had it with Rush. He's tired and he wants to enjoy whatever time he has left in this world to enjoy his family and be there as his daughter is growing up.

• Like 1

I know because of what Neil has said, and what I have heard or read Alex say in the past.

for Neil to get back to what he was in the nineties before his daughter and wife died, it took over a year. Alex has spoken about it a lot. That was when he was much younger.

You may or may not know, but when you get older, you begin to lose strength. That includes strength in your arms.

Neil sounds like he's had it with Rush. He's tired and he wants to enjoy whatever time he has left in this world to enjoy his family and be there as his daughter is growing up.

You need to paste some kind of quote where Neil has said he's had it.

After he dropped hints about retiring from writing a few years ago, only to start up again with a two-book-per-year schedule, Stephen King said, "I was tired when I said that.....sometimes after competing in a blueberry pie eating contest, the last thing you want is for somone to offer you a slice of blueberry pie". That's where I think Rush is right now.

And I play in a band of guys age 46-60. I'm completely aware of the physical demands of gigging.

Anyway, this is somewhat of a pointless discussion. I'm mrely expressing the opinion that no one should read too much into a single interview or two, taken after such an intense period of activity. I think they've got more to come.

Lorraine and Ron, you both have good points. I doubt we will ever see a 35 show tour again, but Rush could do a run at Radio City or Massey or LA or Vegas. It would be borderline suicide for Alex to create real hope for that happening without having a brief discussion with Neil and Ged. If he said that without mentioning to the guys, the dressing rooms gonna be real interesting during R40!

Or Neil can do R40, and say that's it for whatever reason. If Al and Ged want to record and tour as Leefson with a guest drummer, every so often, that would be awesome, as much as Neil would be missed. Either way, we go 40+ years to be thankful for...

And counting!

;)

This is the classic 'poor man's' conspiracy theory.

Fortunately, it just doesn't translate to reality.

Sure, sure, every band who's ever made it big can't possibly have integrity. We've heard it all before, man.

In fact, there are some acts who truly are what they seem. :)

Edited by Bard

Maybe. But you tell me how a drummer nearing seventy and hasn't practiced every day to keep himself up to speed is suddenly going to get himself together to go out on tour and do an album.

The sad truth is, Lorraine, is that some of these guys are having a hard time accepting the very real probability that (a) Rush is touring again simply to finish off their career and not simply for the bag o' gold and (b) that the three guys in Rush are actually human after all. :)

• Like 1

Lorraine,

You do when you reach a certain age. :)

We all do.

Nobody lives forever. :)

• Like 2

The sad truth is, Lorraine, is that some of these guys are having a hard time accepting the very real probability that (a) Rush is touring again simply to finish off their career and not simply for the bag o' gold and (b) that the three guys in Rush are actually human after all. :)

Sed cause those people will be more crushed then those who have made peace.

Mick

• Like 1

You need to paste some kind of quote where Neil has said he's had it.

After he dropped hints about retiring from writing a few years ago, only to start up again with a two-book-per-year schedule, Stephen King said, "I was tired when I said that.....sometimes after competing in a blueberry pie eating contest, the last thing you want is for somone to offer you a slice of blueberry pie". That's where I think Rush is right now.

And I play in a band of guys age 46-60. I'm completely aware of the physical demands of gigging.

Anyway, this is somewhat of a pointless discussion. I'm mrely expressing the opinion that no one should read too much into a single interview or two, taken after such an intense period of activity. I think they've got more to come.

I'm sure your band is equitable with Rush's physical demands of gigging.

LOL.

What you think and what they've tried to say, without saying it outright, are different things.

There are PLENTY of quotes anyone of us can find where it's clear that Neil would rather not be touring anymore.

Google is your friend.

And writing novels is not the same thing as touring arenas across the world. Newsflash.

• Like 1

Mick

Heck, they're already protesting in a simple online public forum.

What's so awful about Rush retiring, anyway? Don't they deserve it? Haven't we been fortunate enough to get the body of work we have from them already?

Sheesh, some fanboys are all about themselves.

• Like 2

Mick

Heck, they're already protesting in a simple online public forum.

What's so awful about Rush retiring, anyway? Don't they deserve it? Haven't we been fortunate enough to get the body of work we have from them already?

Sheesh, some fanboys are all about themselves.

they sure do. and i hope they do. i want them to not hurt themselfs. They have families.....andd grandchildren. and they's way more important then what we whine about.

Mick

• Like 1

I'm sure your band is equitable with Rush's physical demands of gigging.

LOL.

You seem to have a need to make a speculative conversation personal. Why is that?

What you think and what they've tried to say, without saying it outright, are different things.

What Geddy has explicitly said outright, "It's clear we have to slow down.......tihs will be the last major tour -- for a while."

Folks here have a long history of blowing things out of proportion, and I think this is a textbook example of that. $20 says we get some very contradictory quotes before this tour is over.

And writing novels is not the same thing as touring arenas across the world. Newsflash.

It's an analogy, from a very equivalent, demanding creative process.

Edited by Ron2112

This is the classic 'poor man's' conspiracy theory.

Fortunately, it just doesn't translate to reality.

Sure, sure, every band who's ever made it big can't possibly have integrity. We've heard it all before, man.

In fact, there are some acts who truly are what they seem. :)

I agree. The "they have more than I have so I'm going to bring them down" mentality is the same kind of thing that fuels terrorism. I don't think the guys in Rush are anything more than musicians who have hired good businessmen to promote their music. Plain and simple. Sure it's a business. That's why we've been able to buy and listen to their music all of these years.

• Like 2