The Worst - Round Fifteen

Lorraine

38 members have voted

1. 1. What is(are) the worst song(s) on Test For Echo?

Lorraine, do you mind if I make a companion poll to this one, except that we limit the binge-voting by Mick and Narps? That actually might be interesting to see in the future polls...have two polls one with multi-voting and one without and just see how the two compare. I'm not sure that we would get dramatically different results, but I wonder if a song like Totem, The Color of Right and Limbo would get any votes if you just had to choose one.

I laughed. i can't help my honest opinion.......but have a ball, lol

Mick

But assuming that you don't think that there is a 10-way tie for worst song on the album, I'm interested to see which you think is really the worst.

Since I was mentioned in the post it really doesn't matter to me either way. At least Led asked unlike someone else we know.... :sigh: Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 2

I still don't get the dislike for TFE. I think it's got great melodies and it still sounds great. Not muddled, not all distorted and Geddy can still sing.
  • Like 3

I still don't get the dislike for TFE. I think it's got great melodies and it still sounds great. Not muddled, not all distorted and Geddy can still sing.

That's a plus. :LOL:

I think he could still sing in VT...it's just that they decided it was better to have 20 Geddy's than just 1. They were wrong.

• Like 2

It has been my experience with all of these polls that there is much truth to the fact that Rush did their best work up to and including Signals. There is no denying the fact that after that album, it all went steadily downhill.

This is the precise moment they became their own bosses. No one to stand up to them, to challenge their ideas and vision. To challenge them on the definition of Rush Music. The frustration of the guitar player is quite prominent on BTLS in 1993.

And to a lesser extent, compounding the above, is the longer CD format. Songs 9, 10 & 11 usually did not work our for our band.

Had they been able to stick to an 8 song format, with one of the songs stretched out to a 10 min epic, clarity, power trio production and LL Cool Ged able to scream like the good ole days, there would be a much less gap pre 1982 vs post 1982. If ands and buts were candies and nuts.

The difference between evolving and devolving. To much of the latter...

http://www.portlandmercury.com/binary/7e38/1256925130-devo.jpg
  • Like 1

Totem is a warble fest.

TFE lyrics are horrifying for a Rush tune. Sorry SOCN fans. Nothing interesting about the OJ world. We are too sophisticated for any temples of syrinx and Cygnus flights, folks.

Driven is one of their best post 1982 tunes, with a 3 piece clarity of the old days. Otherwise, they lost the bit of momentum gained with P, RtB and CP.

It has been my experience with all of these polls that there is much truth to the fact that Rush did their best work up to and including Signals. There is no denying the fact that after that album, it all went steadily downhill.

I just do not agree. I cannot agree.

I think Signals was a much weaker effort than all the albums from CoS to MP, and I would say GUP, HYF and Presto were as great as PeW or MP.

All these bold statements that no fan can disagree is nonsense. If that is how many feel, I understand. But many of us, including those like me who tend to prefer music from the sixties and seventies over eighties, find Rush's eighties work sterling.

That's fine, but do understand that not everyone agrees with you, and just because you think differently, doesn't mean that your opinion is the only one.

I also find it hard to believe that you prefer music from the sixties and seventies. If you did, I would think you would pick up on the shallowness of the music of the eighties and nineties.

I find the music of the eighties onwards enjoyable on a very basic level (in most cases) to the music of the sixties and seventies. But in the case of Rush, I feel they created some of their best work in the eighties, not superior to the seventies, but equal. The first dip was Presto, and then they sank after that. Sorry, I hadn't meant to imply the music was superior, but I really do not hear this dip in quality that so many g on about. I think they went from strength, to strength, to strength until Superconductor came into existence. And then it dies completely with You Bet Your Life.

But their are many mindblowing bands that came about in the eighties, 90's and 10's, but sadly get overlooked by a lot on this forum.

A band like Opeth for example. Very extreme, yes, but they are certainly one of the most adventurous bands in history, and they formed in the nineties. Bands more recent such as Nightwish, Paradise Lost or even The Cure may not fit the majority of classic rock fans tastes, but they continued a high level of creativity in subgenres that were not even dreamed about forty years ago, and they add much to many music fans delights.

I guess I am being a tad defensive, my posts always seem more pedantic than intended when I read them back!

I think Signals was a much weaker effort than all the albums from CoS to MP, and I would say GUP, HYF and Presto were as great as PeW or MP.

All these bold statements that no fan can disagree is nonsense. If that is how many feel, I understand. But many of us, including those like me who tend to prefer music from the sixties and seventies over eighties, find Rush's eighties work sterling.

That's fine, but do understand that not everyone agrees with you, and just because you think differently, doesn't mean that your opinion is the only one.

I also find it hard to believe that you prefer music from the sixties and seventies. If you did, I would think you would pick up on the shallowness of the music of the eighties and nineties.

I find the music of the eighties onwards enjoyable on a very basic level (in most cases) to the music of the sixties and seventies. But in the case of Rush, I feel they created some of their best work in the eighties, not superior to the seventies, but equal. The first dip was Presto, and then they sank after that. Sorry, I hadn't meant to imply the music was superior, but I really do not hear this dip in quality that so many g on about. I think they went from strength, to strength, to strength until Superconductor came into existence. And then it dies completely with You Bet Your Life.

But their are many mindblowing bands that came about in the eighties, 90's and 10's, but sadly get overlooked by a lot on this forum.

A band like Opeth for example. Very extreme, yes, but they are certainly one of the most adventurous bands in history, and they formed in the nineties. Bands more recent such as Nightwish, Paradise Lost or even The Cure may not fit the majority of classic rock fans tastes, but they continued a high level of creativity in subgenres that were not even dreamed about forty years ago, and they add much to many music fans delights.

I guess I am being a tad defensive, my posts always seem more pedantic than intended when I read them back!

Believe it or not, before I stopped listening to music in 1992, The Cure was the last band I was into.

Don't worry about how your posts sound. My posts suffer from the same thing. :unsure:

:hug2:

• Like 2

Believe it or not, before I stopped listening to music in 1992, The Cure was the last band I was into.

Don't worry about how your posts sound. My posts suffer from the same thing. :unsure:

:hug2:

I must admit though, music today is pretty dead to me now. All the music I enjoy is coming from the aged and experienced, and the newer bands are either supergroups or classic rock in style.

Hence the last several months constant going back in time and getting overly excited. This last year has been a year of rediscovering music, bands and genres I had barely been aware of two years ago.

• Like 1

Dog Years and Virtuality neck in neck.

Flock of Seagulls, The Fixx and Thompson Twins trump these 2 songs

I never realized how tough it was to pick a worst from one album. This may be worse than RTB. I think the lyrics on the title track make it the worst for me but there are few I like on this LP

Thompson Twins compared favorably to Rush in a Rush forum? Anxiety... panic...stress...life blood spilling...

somebody please...

hold me now...

• Like 1

Bad is bad. I'll wait another hour or so to see if Virtuality gains more haters. If not, it will be onto that migraine inducing album ;) - the one and only - :ph34r: .

There are some better songs on that one at least. That is the way I will judge it anyway. Actually the vinyl doesn't sound bad for some reason... :)

Bad is bad. I'll wait another hour or so to see if Virtuality gains more haters. If not, it will be onto that migraine inducing album ;) - the one and only - :ph34r: .

• Like 3

I chose Time and Motion. I like Virtuality. Yeah, I said it!

Got guts I gotta give you that... :)
  • Like 2

CNN projects Dog Years by the hair of it's stinky, smelly chin, chin, chin.

On this one it might be worth picking two they are so bad. At least an "honorable" mention... :)
  • Like 1

Well, as the carnage continues...I consider myself lucky to enjoy most of these "modern" albums.

T4E has many guilty pleasure songs for me. Totem, Color of Right, Dog Years, Carve Away the Stone...

I only detest Virtuality and I find the title track a bore.

On this one it might be worth picking two they are so bad. At least an "honorable" mention... :)

Maybe we should just stick the whole album on the list. :LOL:

I was really thinking. the mark of bad material is when you hit the stop botton when somebody walks in.........or to put it another way......90's rush.

Mick

Because you're too embarrassed to be caught listening to it?