Battle of the Bisection...Hemispheres vs Half the World

laughedatbytime

huh?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. which is better?

Not really a fan of either...lyrically, musically...nope. Cannot do it.

to divide into two parts.

A Hemisphere is Half the World.

Yet one of these songs is transcendently good and the other one is the worst thing they've ever released.

Which of these songs was on Counterparts?

It's a miracle that as bad as Presto and S&A are, their worst song is from neither album. If it had to come from another album, though, TFE would have been the top choice. It's almost like Neil was taunting the fans with the lyrics on TFE...let's see, how bad can I make them and still have the fanbois rave.

Tough talking hood boys in pro team knockoffs

Conform to some uniforms of some corporate entity

Don't change that station

It's a gangsta nation

:facepalm:

I'll take the lyrics on T4E (including Half The World) before the lyrics on CP any day of the weak. CP is almost purely deadly serious and, as such, the lyrics that don't work stick out much more sharply to me. T4E can be serious, but it also has a much more playful attitude. For this reason, the lyrics to Dog Years always struck me as fun and clever, and Speed of Love or Cold Fire really seem like the band's worst ever.

Yet one of these songs is transcendently good and the other one is the worst thing they've ever released.

It's a miracle that as bad as Presto and S&A are, their worst song is from neither album. If it had to come from another album, though, TFE would have been the top choice. It's almost like Neil was taunting the fans with the lyrics on TFE...let's see, how bad can I make them and still have the fanbois rave.

It's a gangsta nation

I'll take the lyrics on T4E (including Half The World) before the lyrics on CP any day of the weak. CP is almost purely deadly serious and, as such, the lyrics that don't work stick out much more sharply to me. T4E can be serious, but it also has a much more playful attitude. For this reason, the lyrics to Dog Years always struck me as fun and clever, and Speed of Love or Cold Fire really seem like the band's worst ever.

I see the lyrics to DY as fun (though not really that clever), and I feel the same about Virtuality, but the lyric quoted above is embarrassing, and the lyrics to Half the World sound like they were pilfered from one of those books they put together out of fourth grade poetry just to sell them to their parents (and yes, they were successful in selling me one!)

Is this even a contest? :)

It was intended to be half contest/half parody of all of the x vs y threads that have been popping up lately.

Is this even a contest? :)

It was intended to be half contest/half parody of all of the x vs y threads that have been popping up lately.

I was just surprised that so many people took it seriously.

• Like 1

Too easy. Hemispheres. Half The World is so goddamn repetitive. It's got about as much different things throughout as Witch Hunt, but at least Witch Hunt develops, with the inventive drum patterns and the keys, whereas Half The World just sounds so phoned in. Only interesting thing about it is the mandolin (I think that's what it is?) Not their worst song IMO, but one of the lesser tracks on an otherwise pretty good album.

Virtuality is a good rockin' track :haz:

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

It's a gangsta nation

I see the lyrics to DY as fun (though not really that clever), and I feel the same about Virtuality, but the lyric quoted above is embarrassing, and the lyrics to Half the World sound like they were pilfered from one of those books they put together out of fourth grade poetry just to sell them to their parents (and yes, they were successful in selling me one!)

Too me it is an excellent example of a hard rock, pop song, and works very well on that level. The lyrics don't detract from this for me...in fact I don't notice them that much. That's not high praise, of course, but it's much more than I can say for the previous album.

I'll take the mediocrity of Half the World any day over the epitome of crap that is Hemispheres.

...said the Yankees fan... :bitchslap:

Hey, maybe he's Hal Steinbrenner.

He sure would know a lot about mediocrity and nothing of greatness if so.

I'll take the mediocrity of Half the World any day over the epitome of crap that is Hemispheres.

...said the Yankees fan... :bitchslap:

How dare you! :bang bang:

:laughing guy: