The "Psychedelic Era"

Lorraine

Whenever I listen to any album that came out between 1966 and 1968, I hear it in the context of the time the album first came out.

I am curious how the albums sound to those of you who didn't live through that time. Do they sound dated?

• Like 1

some do some don't.

Pet Sounds whicvh was in that era sounds unbelievably dated to me.

Mick

The Beach Boys always sounded dated, even when they first came out.

• Like 4

some do some don't.

Mick

I do enjoy Pet Sounds. I do not deny its innovation and the inclusion of some truly brilliant songs. But a lot of it does sound like dated "60s soundtrack" music to my ears.

• Like 2

some do some don't.

Mick

They were busy ripping off Chuck Berry and Phil Spector.

I love the Beach Boys, though. Too many good songs, dated or not.

• Like 1

Pet Sounds sounds like pop perfection to my ears.

The Beach Boys released the best album released in the sixties, and possibly ever, with Pet Sounds. A very special album to me.

• Like 1

some do some don't.

Mick

I don't remember anyone tripping and listening to the Beach Boys back then. :LOL:

• Like 3

Love's Forever Changes and everything Jim Morrison era-The Doors released is uber special.

Sgt. Pepper may be a classic, but I think 1967 belonged to The Doors and Love.

• Like 1

Sgt. Pepper does and i still sorta dig it. Let's face it Phychedelic era music typically does not age well, lol

Mick

That's why I started the topic. I wouldn't know how it sounds to you because I was there when it was a-happening. :cool:

I was thinking about this last night. Personally, I think most of it sounds dated when I think about the songs now.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

How about a Stones' song like 2000 Light Years From Home?

It does sound very much of its time. I really don't think the Stones were very good purveyors of the psychedelic sound. They were much better at blues based ass kickin' rock and roll. After their "psychedelic" phase the basically went back to basic bluesy rock and roll - "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and Beggars Banquet.

How about a Stones' song like 2000 Light Years From Home?

It does sound very much of its time. I really don't think the Stones were very good purveyors of the psychedelic sound. They were much better at blues based ass kickin' rock and roll. After their "psychedelic" phase the basically went back to basic bluesy rock and roll - "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and Beggars Banquet.

They were having a lot of personal difficulties :LOL: during that time anyway.

Beggars Banquet is my favorite.

• Like 2

I think most of the psychedelic era sounds of its time, but nothing else compares to that era so it doesn't really sound overly "dated", just...I dunno...mega unusual.

Not my favourite era or genre, but I would have loved to have been there when these albums were first released.

• Like 2

I think the era when psychedelic rock was popular was around the same time progressive rock was getting popular. They're very similar in the sense of experimenting with different musical feel. Both styles were, I hate to say the word designed but maybe created is a better way to put it, to make someone really connect with the music.
  • Like 1

For the most part, very dated. Quite a few moments of brilliance on Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother though. Probably their last "psychedelic" album before they started transitioning into their progressive ways on Meddle, even if Echoes fits into the psych camp.
  • Like 1

I'm not real good classifying music into categories like this, but I would guess Ride My See Saw fits into this... I remember that coming on when my Dad would put in his Moody Blues 8 Track and it was a supper trippy sounding song. Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 2

It all sounds dated but that's the charm. People usually use the term 'dated' as a negative, but to me it's only positive. When I listen to music of that era I like to be taken back to that time for a brief moment.
  • Like 4