The "Psychedelic Era"

Lorraine

Now now dear Lorraine, if Goober was here you'd have gotten a 75000 words dissertation on the thing in 10 seconds flat... :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol:

I love psychedelic music because it's a window in time, it takes me to that time when I wasn't there, so in a way it takes me to a time of my imagination, filled with images from movies or music videos or books I've read. It's a going back to a place I've never been and a place that it's not like it was.

I'm trying to think of a psych record that doesn't sound dated but I'm having a hard time coming up with something. The thing that dates most JA is probably Spencer's drums, while Jack and Jorma are virtually timeless...

On this note, here's what happened to me not so long ago: I always thought and still think that Quadrophenia still sounds fresh and modern, it's really a timeless sound, so one day we needed some background music for a job and I said to my younger (waay younger) collegue, take a listen to Quadrophenia (the song), he did and replied: man, I dunno, that guitar sounds so... old!!

I was sad for the rest of the day.

:LOL: That's a good one, HPL! Did you ask your young co-worker why the guitar sounded "so...old"?

As a matter of fact, yes I did. He said it was the "waaaaaaa", which by that I think he meant the wailing, high pitched, "crying" guitar sound in the "Love reign over me" theme.

Now, I love SO MUCH that theme that I always considered impossible that someone might find it too high pitched or anything, for me it's one of the most perfect guitar sounds ever... but to each his own. I think we ended up using some "contemporary" music.

One other time, we needed a background song for a website. It had to be young, punky, sparky but not too much. I suggested "Substitute". I got the reply: "They sing too out of key". We ended up using a Pixies song.

From then on, my golden rule has been: keep The Who out of the job.

My guess would've been that he thought the guitar sounded dated because you could actually hear it. It wasn't distorted all to heck. That's one trend that I think has been a negative thing in rock music in the last 20 years or so. You really don't hear a lot of wah pedals on guitars anymore like you used to either.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

Not sure that Ozzy would enjoy meeting a matchstick man, he couldn't see his f***ing hands no matter how many times he demanded to see them.

Another version.....

• Like 1