Natural Science

YYZumbi

It's my number one favorite Rush song of all time, and the live version on R30 is the most transcendent moment in the recorded history of Rush, IMO.

But it's just plain childish to start a thread on it because someone else started one on Jacob's Ladder. The greatness of Natural Science isn't made any greater by slamming Jacob's Ladder.

I think it's ok that he made this thread, even for the reason he made it. What is childish is that he continues to go into the Jacob's Ladder thread to slam that song and promote this one.

:eyeroll:

Is it childish that others come into this thread to slam NatSci and promote JL?

Or maybe it's childish that people come into this thread just to take jabs at the OP....

The only flaw with Different Strings is that they cut Alex's outro solo wayyyyyyyyy too early.

Boy, you are preaching to the choir. Like on The Wreckers, massive blueballing with the end of this song.

:notworthy: And, that is the best quote I've ever read on this forum :notworthy:

Natural Science is masterpiece. I remember the first time I heard it.

I just got PeW on cd and was driving on US-19 in Green County, PA. I never heard of it before, or knew of its significance. So, it was like a complete shock to me when I heard it. I was like 'holy moly what the hell am i listening too?!' That transition to the build up part ('the quantum leap forward' part) is incredible! It sent chills down my back. It was like the first time I heard La Villa Strangiatto. Another masterpiece

• Like 1

Trying to learn the cool guitar part right before "wheels within wheels...."

Great song.

I love that little riff. When I learned it I played it probably for an hour without stopping.

• Like 3

The only flaw with Different Strings is that they cut Alex's outro solo wayyyyyyyyy too early.

I wonder if they have a master tape somewhere with an extended version of that solo? :Alex:

Even Alex commented on that solo ending early. In his words "it was just starting to get weird". I'd love to listen to what he considers weird. :eh:

• Like 1

I wonder if they have a master tape somewhere with an extended version of that solo? :Alex:

Even Alex commented on that solo ending early. In his words "it was just starting to get weird". I'd love to listen to what he considers weird. :eh:

Not to get off topic, because this is supposed to be about Natural Science (sorry Zumb; love the song...), but I also dig the Different Strings solo - is there slide played on that, or is it a whammy? I do love Lifeson's more frenetic solos. One solo of his that I don't care for - I just find it kind of ugly - is the one on Time and Motion. He just seems pissed off on that thing, like he's trying to kill his guitar.

Great song.

|-----------------|------------------|

|-----0-----------|-3----------------|

|---4-------0---2-|-------0---0---0--|

|-2-------0---0---|-----0------------|

|-------3---------|---2-----3---5----|

Instead of the last '5' I just hit the open D string

• Like 1

Great song.

|-----0-----------|-3----------------|

|---4-------0---2-|-------0---0---0--|

|-2-------0---0---|-----0------------|

|-------3---------|---2-----3---5----|

Instead of the last '5' I just hit the open D string

Perfect, thanks. I was watching a video of a guy playing it on You Tube, and he does a pretty good job explaining it, but for me it helps to see a "diagram" (like with anything, really!) :doh:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Alex's second solo on this song is rather uninspired? Compared to the other solos in PeW, this one sounds like an afterthought.

The one in the third movement (Permanent Waves)? I don't think so, but it's not as good as the one in Hyperspace, which is up there with some of his best solos all time, so it's not fair to put anything against that one anyway. I can see where you're coming from, though.

At 36 minutes, just play ALL 6 songs off Waves for R40.

Anyone got a problem with that?

• Like 1

It's no Jacob's Ladder.

Why would we even create a thread about it? :huh:

About Jacob's Ladder? If you have a complaint, see Toymaker.

Toymaker is not qualified to diagnose and treat such complaints. Except he may, as a friend, advise listening to certain songs at high volumes.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/FLY_IGGLES_FLY/rush_st2.jpg

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 1

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Alex's second solo on this song is rather uninspired? Compared to the other solos in PeW, this one sounds like an afterthought.

I completely disagree. It may not be as technically difficult as the Freewill solo, but IMO, it is the most artistic solo on PW, and fits the song perfectly. I love the way he seamlessly combines several different sounds and techniques in that solo. The man is a pure genius, and this solo is just one of many examples that prove so. :notworthy: :haz:

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 1

I like how Lifeson uses harmonics in solos. I also think it's cool that he writes riffs out of nothing but harmonics, like in the Hemisphere's prelude and Red Barchetta.