Face Up from Roll the Bones

JohnRogers

Roll the bones has more filler than most Rush albums. But its good.

Presto is infinitely superior.

• Like 2

Roll the bones has more filler than most Rush albums. But its good.

Presto is infinitely superior.

I think I agree. I find Presto is a guilty pleasure of mine.

RTB ain't great, but it's superior to Presto. At least there's one great song on RTB, and not just a bunch of tinny songs that blend together on a grayish dullness.
  • Like 1

RTB ain't great, but it's superior to Presto...not just a bunch of tinny songs that blend together on a grayish dullness.

;) LOL

I'll think of this post when I revisit Presto. I'll let you know what I find.

RTB ain't great, but it's superior to Presto. At least there's one great song on RTB, and not just a bunch of tinny songs that blend together on a grayish dullness.

I agree about the tinniness and grayish dullness. But I think songs like The Pass, Available Light, and Show Don't Tell clobber everything on Roll the Bones.

I'm about 50-50 with this album. There's some good stuff, like Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, etc. But then you have other songs that are just ugh. I refuse to skip any songs because its Rush, though, and even their worst songs are better than most bands' best. :D

I tend to find myself putting my face down whenever I listen to Face Up. I don't like it and neither do I like Neurotica (the Meshuggah song Neurotica on the other hand is brilliant), nor You Bet Your Life. Even though it sounds like carnival/amusement park music, Where's My Thing? isn't bad as its detractors think...I personally love that song.

I really like hersey, but the ghost of a chance was what sold me to roll the bones... I heard it on some rock station (you will never hear that again). and went out and tracked it down... dreamline is great too. but listening to dreamline since many live versions, you miss that exteneded guitar solo...

RTB has decent listening, as long as you keep it infrequent. In early 2012 it was the only CD in my 87 truck for about a month, and I promptly didn't touch it the rest of the year after that overexposure.

I like Face Up, as I like the sound of Ged's voice on that album. It might actually be better without the several, non Geddy "FACE UP" chants in every chorus.

That said, probably not a top 50 Rush song.

I like "Face Up", but don't love it. To me it's a classic example of a decent Rush song which lacks soul. It comes across as having been "phoned in" by the band. It's possible that it's the production and/or mix that are the problem. I feel that way about a bunch of songs off of that album.

I like "Face Up", but don't love it. To me it's a classic example of a decent Rush song which lacks soul. It comes across as having been "phoned in" by the band. It's possible that it's the production and/or mix that are the problem. I feel that way about a bunch of songs off of that album.

yeah, I get the sense that they're trying to learn how to rock again on presto and roll the bones, and it doesn't feel quite natural to them after going synth-crazy for several years

I always wrote the "phoned in" aspect off to the fact that, even back then, I considered them to have been around for quite some time. They had been putting albums out just about every year up through 83 and then every other year until about 95. In between that time they were touring and writing new material. They had to have been somewhat burned out.

its funny roll the bones was sort of a comeback for rush in radio in 91 after a long absence from mainstream. it did alot better than presto on rock stations. 3 main cuts. title track dreamline and ghost.. I dont remmeber hearing anything off presto at all, as far as philly radio goes.. Maybe show dont tell got played once on mtv...

That probably had more to do with the promotional money that was spent by the record company for Roll the Bones vs Presto releases. I remember one of the Philly stations aired a 1/2 hour preview of Roll the Bones a couple days before it was released including an interview with the band. I'm sure the radio station didn't do that for free.

I really like Roll the Bones. Dreamline, Bravado, The Big Wheel, Ghost of a Chance, and Where's My Thing? are all great songs, IMO.

Face Up sucks, though.

I bought Roll the Bones the day it came out and thought Face Up sucked the first time I heard it. Total filler. The lyrics too. I thought, "How many freaking songs are going to be related to gambling?!?"