Babies?

Disk98

Can we delete this thread I had a nightmare I was trying to enjoy 'Natural Science' and a baby threw up on me at the concert?

Covered in peas while Geddy sang

The mess and the magic........Triumphant and tragic

LOL, okay, that's funny. :)

• Like 1

Depends on the maturity of the six month old. :banana:

I am taking the comment as sarcastic as no child at 6 months old has any maturity. Your lucky if they are even potty trained at 6 months.

Think about a crying, vomiting and shitting 6 month old next to you.

NO effin way!

Here's the standard...

If you bring a kid, they have to at least be able to sing along to one entire song. If they can't remember that much or... TALK, for Cryin Out Loud... then leave them at home.

So my stepmother wants to bring my baby brother to the Newark show. She nurses, but I guess she doesn't want to miss out on all the fun. Problem is, my baby brother by that time will be just six months old. Is that really a good idea?

It is an awful idea.

I hate to be blunt, but it is stuff like this that makes me wonder. A lot. Where's is your stepmother's head at?

• Like 3

I say it's probably a silly idea, but if the kid responds favorably to rush on the home stereo and you can find proper ear protection, it's not that big a deal. He might even sleep through the whole thing. The problem is how do you find proper ear protection for a 6 month old, and how do you know if it works adequately.

I told my three and a half year old I was going to see Rush with my friend and he got upset when he told me he wants to go, and I told him he can't (because we only have 2 seats and they cost a bundle on stubhub). I told him we can watch one of the DVDs and he got mad, and insisted that he wants to go. But I've been playing music to him since he was born every time we drive, he regularly requests that I show him KISS on DVD, and he once asked for the Never Say Die video by Black Sabbath, and sat thru the entire thing, riveted the whole time. He also tries to play my electronic drums all the time even though his feet can't reach the pedals when he sits on my drum throne. He started doing that at age 2. He also apparently needed no moshing lessons when he first heard a demo of my brother and me playing a thrash tune we recorded recently. Kid "gets" music.

I don't assume that a full volume concert PA wouldn't scare the bejesus out of him, though. And I certainly think that certain illicit aromas are not a healthy thing to expose children to, especially babies. So there's that.

Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 1

So my stepmother wants to bring my baby brother to the Newark show. She nurses, but I guess she doesn't want to miss out on all the fun. Problem is, my baby brother by that time will be just six months old. Is that really a good idea?

It is an awful idea.

I hate to be blunt, but it is stuff like this that makes me wonder. A lot. Where's is your stepmother's head at?

Seriously…:wtf:

It is an awful idea.

Seriously… :wtf:

I haven't read through these three pages, but has anyone brought up the fact that the baby could get seriously injured there?

Concerts are no place for infants and small children.

• Like 1

It is an awful idea.

I haven't read through these three pages, but has anyone brought up the fact that the baby could get seriously injured there?

I know. My 8-year-old brother wants to come—well, he'll be almost 9 by then—and I'm a little concerned. That's one thing. My infant brother? Hell no!

• Like 1

It is an awful idea.

Yeah I did. Not cool with all of those steps and possible jostling. Rush shows are much more laid back than they used to be years ago, but still I wouldn't bring a baby anywhere near one of their concerts.

• Like 1

I say it's probably a silly idea, but if the kid responds favorably to rush on the home stereo and you can find proper ear protection, it's not that big a deal. He might even sleep through the whole thing. The problem is how do you find proper ear protection for a 6 month old, and how do you know if it works adequately.

I told my three and a half year old I was going to see Rush with my friend and he got upset when he told me he wants to go, and I told him he can't (because we only have 2 seats and they cost a bundle on stubhub). I told him we can watch one of the DVDs and he got mad, and insisted that he wants to go. But I've been playing music to him since he was born every time we drive, he regularly requests that I show him KISS on DVD, and he once asked for the Never Say Die video by Black Sabbath, and sat thru the entire thing, riveted the whole time. He also tries to play my electronic drums all the time even though his feet can't reach the pedals when he sits on my drum throne. He started doing that at age 2. He also apparently needed no moshing lessons when he first heard a demo of my brother and me playing a thrash tune we recorded recently. Kid "gets" music.

I don't assume that a full volume concert PA wouldn't scare the bejesus out of him, though. And I certainly think that certain illicit aromas are not a healthy thing to expose children to, especially babies. So there's that.

I can understand the kid responding to the music,

But a concert is quite different. That being said, it would be interesting to know how he reacted to the atmosphere. :D

It is an awful idea.

I know. My 8-year-old brother wants to come—well, he'll be almost 9 by then—and I'm a little concerned. That's one thing. My infant brother? Hell no!

What does your dad have to say to all this?

It is an awful idea.

What does your dad have to say to all this?

:huh:

Update: A friend of mine works for LiveNation and says she can get us two tickets to the Newark show. My dad says if we get them it'll be just him and me. Problem solved, maybe?

Cool that you have this friend and cool also that you are concerned about your baby brother! Hope that some of these suggestions-i.e. the Newark tickets or a babysitter with some stored milk (nursed 3 kids myself) work out for you all- good luck!

I don't think this was the intention of "No Child Left Behind".

http://memecrunch.com/meme/1N0HJ/no-child-left-behind/image.png?w=400&c=1

I would say that the only concerts (besides childrens concerts obviously) that non walking, talking, and head not big enough for proper ear protection kids could go to are outdoor music festivals like Bonnaroo and the like, where parents have plenty of room to move around near the back while still enjoying the concert, and lots of private areas to feed them.

As for Rush, No, as so many people have said before. Fact is there will be some form of hearing damage, if its indoors and your in a druggy city (I.E. NOT Winnieapolis) there will be lots of stuff that should not be inhaled by fragile lungs, the moment he cries, you will get a ton of looks, AND WORST OF ALL. If he grows into a Rush fan later in his life, and you tell him that he actually saw them on the R40 tour, he is going to be really bummed that he was too young to remember it.

I'm not as absolute. The right venue, the right volume level, it's fine. My son saw his first live band at age 2. It was outdoors at a riverside event, the band was my friend, Matt o'ree's band (heavy classic rock), and the volume was perfectly tolerable. My son loved it, had a great time, and his hearing wasn't damaged even without ear protection, because the band wasn't cranked up. He has seen me play at Jazz gigs twice now at age 3 and literally tried to climb on my lap and play my drums during a song the first time. Again, very safe volume levels, and very benign audiences. At the rock show there was alcohol, but it was in public, at a town marina, heavily policed, no one smoking (anything). Again, a Rush show is going to be a bit loud (not as loud as the rock band I play with), and there will be weed everywhere. Not a great place for kids unless their hearing is protected and they are old enough and smart enough to be aware that weed is not good for them, and their parents are modeling good behavior.

I'm not as absolute. The right venue, the right volume level, it's fine. My son saw his first live band at age 2. It was outdoors at a riverside event, the band was my friend, Matt o'ree's band (heavy classic rock), and the volume was perfectly tolerable. My son loved it, had a great time, and his hearing wasn't damaged even without ear protection, because the band wasn't cranked up. He has seen me play at Jazz gigs twice now at age 3 and literally tried to climb on my lap and play my drums during a song the first time. Again, very safe volume levels, and very benign audiences. At the rock show there was alcohol, but it was in public, at a town marina, heavily policed, no one smoking (anything). Again, a Rush show is going to be a bit loud (not as loud as the rock band I play with), and there will be weed everywhere. Not a great place for kids unless their hearing is protected and they are old enough and smart enough to be aware that weed is not good for them, and their parents are modeling good behavior.

But 6 months…?

Years ago I was working Ozzfest a girl about 16 comes strolling by with a baby not even a mth old going towards the front stage area me and another Usher see this befoe we can get someone a women who happened to be at the concert and worked for Child Protective Service had grabed a Sherriff Dept went up qnd pulled her out of area

Holy cow Snowdog, you worked with Usher? So, it wasn't THE Usher, but like one of his brothers? I wouldn't have been impressed if it was just an usher....but this was an Usher!

The one and only he was looking for a name to call himself and someone yelled Usher and I said use that name....True Story

No! Just, no.

I think I'm kind of pushing it by taking my nine-year-old. I'm only doing it because he absolutely loves Rush and I think he would dig the memory of having Rush be his first live band to see plus, it's probably going to be their last tour and Seattle is close to the end. He won't be out of my site, ever, during the show and he will be wearing top-notch gear to protect his ears. Anyone who gets rowdy by him will have to answer to me, mom, which no one is going to want.

• Like 1

This makes me very nervous. I would skip the show myself if it were the only way to keep her from bringing someone that young. I usually keep out of these discussions but this one scared me.

No! Just, no.

I think I'm kind of pushing it by taking my nine-year-old. I'm only doing it because he absolutely loves Rush and I think he would dig the memory of having Rush be his first live band to see plus, it's probably going to be their last tour and Seattle is close to the end. He won't be out of my site, ever, during the show and he will be wearing top-notch gear to protect his ears. Anyone who gets rowdy by him will have to answer to me, mom, which no one is going to want.

My son was 9 when I brought him to his first Rush show. I took the same steps you state with regard to bringing him.

• Like 1