Clockwork Angels - Why all the hate??

RushianRoulette

I've been looking through several of the discussions on the forum lately, and CA seems to be a scapegoat almost in terms of dislike.

What I wanna know is, am I the only person on here who would place CA in their top 5 Rush Albums, or even likes the album itself?

I love BU2B2.

Thoughts on the overall album though?

For the most part, I like it very much and I think it's the best thing they've done in a very long time. But it wouldn't make my top five Rush albums.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Definitely impressive output from a 40 year old band, and it has a few real gems (title track, The Garden, The Wreckers). Overall though, the production is terrible and the melodies just don't typically inspire me on a musical level.
  • Like 2

I've never really seen that much hate for it, to be honest. I think it's one of the best pieces that they've ever put out. 'Course, I love me some concept albums. But really, the album is full of so many brilliant moments that are chock-full of emotion. Especially my favorite, The Garden.
  • Like 2

I enjoy it. I don't know that I have it in my top 5, but it's not in my bottom 5.

Here's the thing, the forum has a number of people (people I actually enjoy reading and would say I would like them if I met them in person), who are sticky wickets about certain things. Namely, there are a good number who hold to a very basic tenet: No Rush album will ever be as good as (X), and everything other than (X) is crap.

That's just their thing.

Still a few other people (again, people I actually enjoy reading and would say I would like them if I met them in person), are also sticky wickets, but have a slightly different tenet: Everything Rush produced after (X) album is crap.

It's a slight variation and more broad, but generally the same thing.

Finally, you have a third group of sticky wickets (again, people I actually enjoy reading and would say I would like them if I met them in person) who hold to still another tenet: Everything up to (X) album was great, but everything between (X) and (Y) sucked, and everything after (Y) is okay, but still not as good as everything before (X).

Frankly, we Rush fans can be a pissy little lot. I am surprised the band puts up with our rambling nature at all. ;)

PS The only thing more controversial than how people feel about albums is a set list.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 4

This album is definitely in my bottom three along with the debut and Snakes, which is very unfortunate as all three are great albums. Just goes to show the strength of the career they've had

most people here enjoy it. there are a few people who are vocal about their dislike of it, but I'd say the consensus is that it's a solid album. there aren't many people who would put it in their top five, though. I know I wouldn't.
  • Like 1

I love it. I just can't figure out why Nick Raskulinecz insists on bathing everything with distortion and loudness and why the boys are ok with it. You hear more intricacies at lower volume than when you turn it up, which is just plain wrong.
  • Like 3

They really need to strip it down if they record another album, which really seems like the only logical place they can go from here. They've absolutely EXHAUSTED this new "heavy" sound. I would love to see Geddy tone the flamenco bullshit back, and for the album to have a more ethereal vibe like CoS - RTB Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 3

They really need to strip it down if they record another album, which really seems like the only logical place they can go from here. They've absolutely EXHAUSTED this new "heavy" sound. I would love to see Geddy tone the flamenco bullshit back, and for the album to have a more ethereal vibe like CoS - RTB

I haven't really been crazy about their sound...live or in studio...starting with TFE. Too muddy and distorted.

• Like 1

I've been looking through several of the discussions on the forum lately, and CA seems to be a scapegoat almost in terms of dislike.

What I wanna know is, am I the only person on here who would place CA in their top 5 Rush Albums, or even likes the album itself?

You apparently haven't read my posts then ;) I absolutely love Clockwork Angels. It is in my top five, and probably one of my top three Rush albums.

And, for the record, I also love Vapor Trails. It may also be in my top five (along with A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves).

• Like 2

I don't hate Clockwork per se...I appreciate the return to epic storylines like what they were doing in the '70s. It's just......ehhh. Geddy's voice doesn't do it for me anymore, he sounds terrible still trying to sing high and has a grating quality to it that I can't listen to past a certain point. I hate saying that, he's been one of my heroes for such a long time but age has caught up to him. Also, Neil is still writing lyrics that can't be put to a memorable song. I like CA's lyrics better than S&A but I still don't find myself wanting to listen to it. Also doesn't help that Nick R compressed the crap out of the thing and made everything sound like a wall of distorted mush. And what's with making Geddy sound like he's singing through a cheap telephone in parts of the title song? I can't make out a single word of it.

Nick has to go. He stinks as producer.

• Like 2