rivenrdell good or skip

nicky6

Rivendell is a great song. It is simple and beautiful, and it holds a lot of personal meaning for me.

Is your name Bilbo by chance? :)

I don't understand?????

No, my name is not Bilbo. :)

Rivendell and the Misty Mountains are both fictional geographic names from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit, is the main protagonist in the story.

Blue J, thank you. I never read Lord of the Rings since I was always the type who went the opposite direction of whatever was the current rage. When I was in high school, that was the rage, and it forever turned me off to reading the books.

Oh seriously? I thought you were kidding that you didn't understand. Especially with all of the movies too.

She has to be putting us on.

Right?

I guess not?

It's not a bad song, actually kinda nice, however it's too long and repetitive plus it feels totally out of place on an album otherwise full of energetic, rocking tunes. So yeah, I usually skip it when listening to the whole album.
  • Like 1

It's not a bad song, actually kinda nice, however it's too long and repetitive plus it feels totally out of place on an album otherwise full of energetic, rocking tunes. So yeah, I usually skip it when listening to the whole album.

Yeah...I'm more likely to listen to it as a solo track, if at all.

ETA: Of Rivendell, Tears and Madrigal, Tears is the only one that I've listened to much. The other two I've mostly skipped over the years.

Edited by goose

I think I read an interview once when they were listening to one of their songs in the studio control room (pretty sure it was rivendell) and fell asleep. Yeah that's me. :zzz:

Here is Geddy's interview that confirms my statement.

Feel there's something calling me...like my pillow.

Rivendell is a great song. It is simple and beautiful, and it holds a lot of personal meaning for me.

I don't understand?????

Rivendell and the Misty Mountains are both fictional geographic names from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit, is the main protagonist in the story.

Blue J, thank you. I never read Lord of the Rings since I was always the type who went the opposite direction of whatever was the current rage. When I was in high school, that was the rage, and it forever turned me off to reading the books.

the opposite direction, huh? so you read DUNE instead? just joking, of course.

this type of thinking scares me, honestly. I dismiss a lot of the stuff my friends and peers are into, and sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out on quality just to fool myself into thinking I'm "different from the herd" or some nonsense. it's hard to approach the stuff people my age are into with an open mind sometimes, but sometimes the general public isn't wrong.

you know, if I'd grown up when you did, I probably would've been that asshole who refused to buy a led zeppelin album.

I agree with this to a degree. It's easy to get into a rut as you get older and kind of lose interest in new things. I'm not sure why that is, but I've seen a lot of people do it. I used to think "I'm not going to watch that movie or read that book because it's popular" when I younger, but as I've gotten older, I'm much more willing to try new stuff. I want to see what's out there. There's so much great music being made now but you can't find it on the radio, you have to look deeper and find bands like Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Riverside, Symphony X or others that are still making awesome progressive music today.

oh, I wasn't talking about bands like that. I still like a lot of new music. I was just talking about stuff that's big with people my age - club music and skrillex and shit.

I don't understand?????

this type of thinking scares me, honestly. I dismiss a lot of the stuff my friends and peers are into, and sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out on quality just to fool myself into thinking I'm "different from the herd" or some nonsense. it's hard to approach the stuff people my age are into with an open mind sometimes, but sometimes the general public isn't wrong.

you know, if I'd grown up when you did, I probably would've been that asshole who refused to buy a led zeppelin album.

I agree with this to a degree. It's easy to get into a rut as you get older and kind of lose interest in new things. I'm not sure why that is, but I've seen a lot of people do it. I used to think "I'm not going to watch that movie or read that book because it's popular" when I younger, but as I've gotten older, I'm much more willing to try new stuff. I want to see what's out there. There's so much great music being made now but you can't find it on the radio, you have to look deeper and find bands like Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Riverside, Symphony X or others that are still making awesome progressive music today.

oh, I wasn't talking about bands like that. I still like a lot of new music. I was just talking about stuff that's big with people my age - club music and skrillex and shit.

I wasn't referring to your comment about what you listen to, but just to the idea that some people don't listen to a lot of new stuff as they get older. They stick with the bands they liked when they were younger and don't pursue different music.

• Like 1

I don't understand?????

It's no business of yours, or Bathory's, how anyone here chooses to live their life.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I was saying that when I (as in, bathory, not lorraine) think that way, sometimes I wonder later if I'm missing out on something enjoyable when I decide to not check out the hunger games or a new tv show or something. what works for you is fine. I don't care if you read lord of the rings or not.

I don't understand?????

It's no business of yours, or Bathory's, how anyone here chooses to live their life.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I was saying that when I (as in, bathory, not lorraine) think that way, sometimes I wonder later if I'm missing out on something enjoyable when I decide to not check out the hunger games or a new tv show or something. what works for you is fine. I don't care if you read lord of the rings or not.

Yeah that's kind of what I was doing too. Referring to myself.

• Like 1

I don't understand?????

I wasn't referring to your comment about what you listen to, but just to the idea that some people don't listen to a lot of new stuff as they get older. They stick with the bands they liked when they were younger and don't pursue different music.

ah, okay.

yeah, I only know a few people older than 30 in real life who still check out new music actually. people get bogged down by work or they lose interest or whatever.

• Like 1

Rivendell is a song that I would have disliked if I had been a fan of Rush when "Fly by Night" was released. I think I must have heard Rivendell for the first time in the early 80's when I started becoming a huge fan and by that time they had already moved away from writing in that style. It has an innocent charm to it that I enjoy so I don't skip it, even though it probably goes on one verse too long.

I wonder it the Tolkien clan ever gave them flak over using the name.

Has everyone voted in the Hemispheres thread? I need four (4) more votes to reach 100 yes, we just love Hemispheres!!, votes.

:)

you are pimping out that 100 percent hemispheres thing HARD, lol

Mick

That is because I am a true Rush fan.

• Like 1

Has everyone voted in the Hemispheres thread? I need four (4) more votes to reach 100 yes, we just love Hemispheres!!, votes.

:)

you are pimping out that 100 percent hemispheres thing HARD, lol

Mick

That is because I am a true Rush fan.

Because Hemisphere is THE test. Don't like it no sorry no membership, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Rivendell has always seemed too soft for my tastes. I'll listen to it every once in a while, mainly when I put Fly By Night on the record player where I can't skip it. I much prefer the somewhat similar Tears to this one.
  • Like 1