Official 2015 PGA Tour Thread

RushCanuck

proxy.jpg?t=HBhZaHR0cHM6Ly9hbXAudHdpbWcuY29tL3Byb2QvZGVmYXVsdC8yMDE1LzAzLzIxLzE2L3VwbG9hZGVkX2ltYWdlLWEyYzM0YTU2LTYtcG9zdGVyLTAuNi5qcGcUwAcUnAQAFgASAA&s=UMBZd4H-zBwRY3e55Jx3uBD_SkYqtfW1_c1Ob1Z9Tf4

Something very cool from the tournament: Berger hits for "the cycle" on par 5's, making a par, a birdie, an eagle, and the extremely rare albatross (aka double eagle). :clap:

http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/daniel-berger-makes-first-albatross-in-arnold-palmer-invitational-history

• Like 1

Rory's 2015 PGA struggles continue...

Six players are separated by three shots going into Sunday's final round, a group that includes defending champion Matt Every.

Rory McIlroy looked as though he would be among them. The world's No. 1 player pulled to within one shot of the lead with his fourth birdie of the round on the 13th hole. But he ran off three straight bogeys, missing a par putt from just inside 3 feet on No. 15 and chopping up the par-5 16th hole. McIlroy effectively gave up two shots to the field on the 16th, where only one other player failed to make par or better.

McIlroy missed the cut in The Honda Classic and finished eight shots behind at Doral. Asked if Bay Hill counted as being in contention, he replied, "Not anymore."

"I guess if I can get off to the fast start tomorrow ... maybe I will have a chance," he said. "It would have been nicer to be a little closer to the lead going into tomorrow."

Looks like it could be a fun final round. Stenson has a two stroke lead, but...

A two-shot lead can disappear quickly, especially on the back nine. Even so, Stenson has been steady during his three stops on the Florida swing. He tied for fourth at Doral, and missed the three-man playoff at Innisbrook by one shot last week.

Hoffmann regained the lead with back-to-back birdies early on the back nine, but his tee shot rolled up to the lip of a bunker on par-5 16th and he was one of only two players in the third round who had to lay up short of the creek. Hoffmann had to settle for pars, though he was still in the final group with Stenson.

Every had a 69 and was in the group at 13-under 203 that included Jason Kokrak (65), Matt Jones (67) and Las Vegas winner Ben Martin (68). Jones birdied his last four holes, including a 75-foot putt across the green at the par-3 17th.

Hoffmann had a chance to limit the number of contenders if he had posted a better score. The scoring average was low again because of slow, receptive greens this week. But he kept getting funny lies in the fairway, mud on his ball and a few breaks that didn't go his way.

But he still has a chance, as do so many others, especially considering the most recent trend on the PGA TOUR. In the last eight tournaments (including the Puerto Rico Open), the winner came from behind in the final round.

http://www.pgatour.com/daily-wrapup/2015/03/21/round-three-arnold-palmer-invitational.html

Albatross!!!! Zach Johnson. Another one geez. Berger had one yesterday. Crazy sh*t... :dweez:
  • Like 1

Johnson 3 putts from about 20 feet on the 17th for a bogey. Can't blame him really... :)

We have a new leader...

And his name is Hoffmann... :)

Stenson looks tentative so far.. And now he and Hoffman are on the clock.

He does. The dude is a ball striking machine though. This thing should go down to the wire. I am hoping so anyway. Some more PGA tour excitement would be nice. A rainy dreary day here today and its kind of chilly here too at 61 degrees... :)

>zBwRY3e55Jx3uBD_SkYqtfW1_c1Ob1Z9Tf4

Something very cool from the tournament: Berger hits for "the cycle" on par 5's, making a par, a birdie, an eagle, and the extremely rare albatross (aka double eagle). :clap:

http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/daniel-berger-makes-first-albatross-in-arnold-palmer-invitational-history

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I often hit for the cycle on the par. 5's....except my cycle is a par, bogey, double and triple. ...

• Like 2

Matt Every. Nice round. Deserves to win if he ultimately does... :)

Congrats Matt. Stenson came out flat. I hope Stenson doesn't demolish his locker like he did once before..

I bet he is none to pleased...

It really looked like Stenson was gonna go up by three on the back 9 and cruise. If he putted better he'd be the next Phil. Great for Matt Every, the new King of Arnie's tourney!

It really looked like Stenson was gonna go up by three on the back 9 and cruise. If he putted better he'd be the next Phil.

:eh:

Phil, a great putter? Short putts have been his Achilles heel.

It really looked like Stenson was gonna go up by three on the back 9 and cruise. If he putted better he'd be the next Phil.

Yes, but recall the amazing UK Open (HA!) Phil won a couple years ago. His putter was on fire at the end! I was only saying if Stenson putted better, he would have a few majors by now and compete with Phil's five before he retires.

Yes, but recall the amazing UK Open (HA!) Phil won a couple years ago. His putter was on fire at the end! I was only saying if Stenson putted better, he would have a few majors by now and compete with Phil's five before he retires.

I agree with your general premise that Stenson will need to putt better to take his game to the next level (majors etc.). I also agree with goose of course that using Phil as an example of putting prowess doesn't work at all. He was hot at the "UK Open" when he won but those weeks are few and far between...
  • Like 1

I agree with your general premise that Stenson will need to putt better to take his game to the next level (majors etc.). I also agree with goose of course that using Phil as an example of putting prowess doesn't work at all. He was hot at the "UK Open" when he won but those weeks are few and far between...

My wording was not the best. My reference to Stenson was he needs the putting to improve to get to the major level. Years ago I thought for sure Stenson would have a few majors by now. I referenced Phil as someone who has attained 5 majors. I would agree that Phil is not a good example of putting prowess, but he has figured out how to put his yips aside for a few of his major accomplishments.

• Like 1

My wording was not the best. My reference to Stenson was he needs the putting to improve to get to the major level. Years ago I thought for sure Stenson would have a few majors by now. I referenced Phil as someone who has attained 5 majors. I would agree that Phil is not a good example of putting prowess, but he has figured out how to put his yips aside for a few of his major accomplishments.

I thought Stenson would have a couple by now myself. As great as he hits it you would think he could have even at least backed into a couple by this point...

Phil has 3 green jackets, so it shows a golfer with putting issues can overcome them. Before he won a major, it was at times painful to watch him putt. But at the Masters and that British Open, he could do no wrong... golf is a fickle game... just my 2 cents. now Phil is looking for good putting again...

Edited by RushCanuck
  • Like 1