If you could learn how to play ONE Rush song…

Disk98

I know a number of them well on guitar. My favorites to play or jam with are Here Again, Making Memories, The Necromancer, Lessons, Cygnus, TSOR, Bravado, Animate, Driven, etc....... haven't gotten around to working on any VT, S&A, or CA yet, but I'll start with Armor &Sword. I've been meaning to get to it.

So......Armor & Sword, and Red Sector A (which I know about 60%of).

Problem is all the awesometastic ones like La Villa, Xanadu, Natural Science, Limelight, Red Barchetta, etc. I can already play on guitar. I think I'll go with Hemispheres or Freewill(that solo!)

Bass: Territories

Drums: Test For Echo

• Like 2

Chain Lightning

And to sing Available Light TO PERFECTION

Love them both!

I'm going to put on Available Light and sing along with it in just a little while (as soon as I finish listening to Broken Crown Halo, here)...

• Like 1

Everything from Middletown Dreams perfectly. This includes singing and the keyboards... Then I'd harness this talent elsewhere and creative works of my own I could be proud of.

Or, I could practice instead of eating donuts in bed all day.

Oh, Middletown Dreams…that's one of my favorites to play. The bass line is really groovy, and I love the airy synths…everything off Power Windows is fun to play.

• Like 1

I would pick whatever the hardest song is. I'm sure once you've learned the hardest you can play just about anything.

Kind of, but that isn't exactly how it works. I'm sure any musician will tell you that playing a crazy difficult song like La Villa Strangiato and playing a song that incorporates basic fundamentals like Bravado—well—are very different things. The good ones can do both. :)

• Like 1

I would pick whatever the hardest song is. I'm sure once you've learned the hardest you can play just about anything.

Kind of, but that isn't exactly how it works. I'm sure any musician will tell you that playing a crazy difficult song like La Villa Strangiato and playing a song that incorporates basic fundamentals like Bravado—well—are very different things. The good ones can do both. :)

Yeah I agree. I'm sure a lot of Berklee students might be able to play some of Rush's more technical stuff 100% correctly but the same lot would fail miserably at trying to capture the feel of Alex's solo in Limelight.

I'm a drummer and I can already play many Rush songs, but I can't play La Villa Strangiato, so I'd like to learn that one

Don't feel too bad, that's one of Neil's hardest drum songs IMO.

Tom Sawyer on drums.....boring I know.

Me too! Almost got it down though :)

I'm a drummer and I can already play many Rush songs, but I can't play La Villa Strangiato, so I'd like to learn that one

Me too exactly. I'm working on La Villa right now, what a crazy beast that song is!

To those who've said here that there are 'many Rush songs' that you can play- to that, I can only ask, "Really?"

Whether it be bass, guitar, drums, or vocals- we are talking about three singularly gifted, virtuoso professional musicians who have spent a lifetime honing and perfecting their craft.

Now, I understand where you're coming from when you say you can play some Rush songs- as a drummer, I can play some of what Neil does. I've always said that I can do a reasonable facsimile of what Neil plays. But certainly not everything, in a given song. And certainly not something like La Villa Strangiato, for god's sake! And I've been playing the drums for nearly 30 years.

But hey, if you can, that's awesome. Maybe I'm just an idiot. I don't know.

I just started playing rhythm guitar a couple of years ago, and I'd love just to be able to play and sing at the same time. I can play some things, and I can sing some things. But putting those two things together is a vastly different animal, for me.

Carry on...

Chain Lightning

Love them both!

I'm going to put on Available Light and sing along with it in just a little while (as soon as I finish listening to Broken Crown Halo, here)...

This post is 110% awesome!

Presto is getting better and better and better to my ears...might top AFTK before too long!

And BCH is phenonenal. Keep playing it!

• Like 1

Chain Lightning

Love them both!

Presto is getting better and better and better to my ears...might top AFTK before too long!

I've listened to Broken Crown Halo twice today.

Early this morning I did, and then Presto...and then...I couldn't help it. I needed that dose of gothic heaviness again!

To those who've said here that there are 'many Rush songs' that you can play- to that, I can only ask, "Really?"

Whether it be bass, guitar, drums, or vocals- we are talking about three singularly gifted, virtuoso professional musicians who have spent a lifetime honing and perfecting their craft.

That's not all that unbelievable though- I mean there's a girl out there on keyboards who can play YYZ with her FEET for Chrissakes- but the thing is, lots of people can PLAY many Rush songs, but only three guys can WRITE 'em:

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

• Like 2

Can you play The Weapon?

The Weapon is one of about 10 songs I practice every time I play. Not doing the cool stick tosses yet though lol

Always been one of my favorite drum songs! It's funny I remember this song wasn't getting ANY love here a few years back. I thought everyone was crazy!

• Like 1

Chain Lightning

Love them both!

I've listened to Broken Crown Halo twice today.

Early this morning I did, and then Presto...and then...I couldn't help it. I needed that dose of gothic heaviness again!

Want an even heavier, likewise brilliant take on gothic metal?

Paradise Lost- Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us

An absolute masterpiece, and the bands best album. PL were a huge influence on Lacuna Coil.

Now, I understand where you're coming from when you say you can play some Rush songs- as a drummer, I can play some of what Neil does. I've always said that I can do a reasonable facsimile of what Neil plays. But certainly not everything, in a given song. And certainly not something like La Villa Strangiato, for god's sake! And I've been playing the drums for nearly 30 years.

I just started playing rhythm guitar a couple of years ago, and I'd love just to be able to play and sing at the same time. I can play some things, and I can sing some things. But putting those two things together is a vastly different animal, for me.

Carry on...

I can only answer this for myself, but yeah, I can play most all of their songs, but I've been playing them and learning them close to 40 years. I've also been playing out in bands since I was 17. As each new album came out, I would learn the songs. I was in a Rush tribute band as the bassist/keyboardist and singer for several years. That really made me work to practice, let me tell you!

• Like 2

Can you play The Weapon?

The Weapon is one of about 10 songs I practice every time I play. Not doing the cool stick tosses yet though lol

Always been one of my favorite drum songs! It's funny I remember this song wasn't getting ANY love here a few years back. I thought everyone was crazy!

I love that song with a passion!! I asked about playing the drums in it because it seems to me that is difficult and takes a lot of concentration so as not to get side-tracked by the other instruments. But then, I have no musical talent, so what appears difficult to me may be easy to someone who does have it.

You mention Neil's stick tosses. I honestly don't know how he does it.

How about 10 Rush songs? On Drums..

-Beneath Between and Behind

-LaVilla Strangiato

-Tom Sawyer

-Grand Designs

-Subdivisions

-The Weapon

-The Analog Kid

-Test for Echo

-Bastille Day

-Caravan

That's basically my drum practice routine right there along with 'Swingtown', 'Poor Tom' and '50 Ways to leave your Lover'..

I can play all of this pretty good most days except Poor Tom..

Can you play The Weapon?

I love that song with a passion!! I asked about playing the drums in it because it seems to me that is difficult and takes a lot of concentration so as not to get side-tracked by the other instruments. But then, I have no musical talent, so what appears difficult to me may be easy to someone who does have it.

You know the stick tosses I mean then.. the little toss every time it comes up in the main beat through the verses. I haven't really tried it but as far as playing that song I could do it pretty much first time I tried it on the kit.

I do have unique drumming experience though.. about 30 years of air drumming experience before ever sitting behind a kit! Haha

Can you play The Weapon?

You know the stick tosses I mean then.. the little toss every time it comes up in the main beat through the verses. I haven't really tried it but as far as playing that song I could do it pretty much first time I tried it on the kit.

I do have unique drumming experience though.. about 30 years of air drumming experience before ever sitting behind a kit! Haha

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. I've watched him play that song countless times in Grace Under Pressure. Yuo mention "air drumming" - I've been trying to do that with The Weapon for a while now. I am getting better little by little. I have found it is easier if I keep the main beat going with my foot. Maybe one day I will be able to do the whole song. If not, it is fun trying at least.

• Like 1

Carry on...

I can only answer this for myself, but yeah, I can play most all of their songs, but I've been playing them and learning them close to 40 years. I've also been playing out in bands since I was 17. As each new album came out, I would learn the songs. I was in a Rush tribute band as the bassist/keyboardist and singer for several years. That really made me work to practice, let me tell you!

Yes- I concede that if you've also been a musician for 40 years, that does make a huge difference. (I said I've been playing the drums for nearly 30, which is true, but also somewhat deceiving- as I don't get to play these days nearly as much as I used to).

• Like 1