Loved Beyond a Lighted stage except for - - -

nicky6

The part of BTLS that bothered me twas when Neil said that Moving Pictures was "when Rush became Rush". As if everything prior to MP was worthless. :wtf:

Maybe you are over thinking that? Geddy has said Tom Sawyer is the "quintessential" Rush song. That doesn't mean he is discounting all the other songs. I think Neil's comment was probably more in that vein.

On the other hand, Neil has said that he wishes that Rush hadn't had to release any of the records they made before Moving Pictures. So maybe Empty Mindless Spectre is simply assuming that Neil is being consistent with himself.

I say this in all sincerity and not at all to poke (as I am genuinely curious) ... where did you read or see him say that? I have heard some similar references in a variety of contexts, but I have yet to actually see something to verify it.

The closest I have found is some commentary in which he laments the notion that he is a staunch right Libertarian because of Anthem, 2112, etc. Basically, some stuff in which he generally says he was young and had a different mindset. I could see how those comments could be construed as disliking the early stuff, but it's not quite the same.

But I have not actually found a quote in which he says he wishes nothing prior to MP had been released. I would interested to see it.

I asked the same question in another thread, and someone posted something to the effect of that he thought the early years were learning years and that Rush didn't really start until Moving Pictures. I doubt very seriously that Neil really wishes those albums didn't exist. My guess it's more that he feels his lyrics were not as well crafted or something. I've often kind of wondered if they look back on the old albums differently than we do. They were pretty young when they started out.

I got out of bed to respond to this...

"Those were the growing years. I often equate that to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long, you know? I really wish they would just go away. I think we really started....wow, given my druthers, I would make our first album Moving Pictures. I can't think of a single reason not to do that!" - Peart

Which is perfectly understandable if you take into consideration that they're always learning and looking forward. I wouldn't expect anything less than this from him. He's a perfectionist.

The part of BTLS that bothered me twas when Neil said that Moving Pictures was "when Rush became Rush". As if everything prior to MP was worthless. :wtf:

Maybe you are over thinking that? Geddy has said Tom Sawyer is the "quintessential" Rush song. That doesn't mean he is discounting all the other songs. I think Neil's comment was probably more in that vein.

On the other hand, Neil has said that he wishes that Rush hadn't had to release any of the records they made before Moving Pictures. So maybe Empty Mindless Spectre is simply assuming that Neil is being consistent with himself.

I say this in all sincerity and not at all to poke (as I am genuinely curious) ... where did you read or see him say that? I have heard some similar references in a variety of contexts, but I have yet to actually see something to verify it.

The closest I have found is some commentary in which he laments the notion that he is a staunch right Libertarian because of Anthem, 2112, etc. Basically, some stuff in which he generally says he was young and had a different mindset. I could see how those comments could be construed as disliking the early stuff, but it's not quite the same.

But I have not actually found a quote in which he says he wishes nothing prior to MP had been released. I would interested to see it.

I asked the same question in another thread, and someone posted something to the effect of that he thought the early years were learning years and that Rush didn't really start until Moving Pictures. I doubt very seriously that Neil really wishes those albums didn't exist. My guess it's more that he feels his lyrics were not as well crafted or something. I've often kind of wondered if they look back on the old albums differently than we do. They were pretty young when they started out.

"Those were the growing years. I often equate that to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long, you know? I really wish they would just go away. I think we really started....wow, given my druthers, I would make our first album Moving Pictures. I can't think of a single reason not to do that!" - Peart

Which is perfectly understandable if you take into consideration that they're always learning and looking forward. I wouldn't expect anything less than this from him. He's a perfectionist.

The more I think about it, I think this might just be Neil being a bit eccentric. At the end of the Clockwork Angels video, he has a big smile on his face as he says "We have assumed control!", which suggests to me that he still enjoys playing 2112. I just can't fathom or accept that one of the three guys who wrote and recorded songs like Natural Science, La Villa Strangiato, and Xanadu can truly wish those songs would just go away. That just seems too absurd to really be true.

The more I think about it, I think this might just be Neil being a bit eccentric. At the end of the Clockwork Angels video, he has a big smile on his face as he says "We have assumed control!", which suggests to me that he still enjoys playing 2112. I just can't fathom or accept that one of the three guys who wrote and recorded songs like Natural Science, La Villa Strangiato, and Xanadu can truly wish those songs would just go away. That just seems too absurd to really be true.

I think the comment was said somewhat tongue-in-cheek. People tend to take things so literally and don't take into consideration the sense of humor or tone of voice something might've been said.

He could have a big smile at that point for aniother reason.....

I loved the documentary it will be something I watch every few years perhaps. I wish they had spent more time on recruiting Neil and went more in depth about how Neil went on to write 99.7% of the lyrics, the process, the how and why.
  • Like 1

if it was made today, wonder what stars they would recruit to speak on rush's behalf? usally when something is made, they go with who is hot at the time its being made...

They would recruit the members of TRF to speak on their behalf. Who else is there? :LOL:

They would recruit the members of TRF to speak on their behalf. Who else is there? :LOL:

Except the TRF members who don't enjoy Hemispheres.

Lotsa jacqueoffs on this documentary. I remember cringing and actually experiencing embarrassment at a number of moments in the video. Some really awful, piss-poor representations of Rush fans, Jack Black, et al.

Jack Black and Sebastian Bach in particular made me cringe a bit. But then again they generally do.

The one part that really got to me the most is where black started singing the sprit of radio lyrics...that was so cheessy....

I bet you $20 he needed to read the lyrics from a teleprompter or cue card. I bet he can't name more than 5 Rush albums.

He's like an obnoxious wanna be fanboi who asks 'so have Rush put out any new albums lately?' :facepalm:

The one part that really got to me the most is where black started singing the sprit of radio lyrics...that was so cheessy....

I bet you $20 he needed to read the lyrics from a teleprompter or cue card. I bet he can't name more than 5 Rush albums.

So the producers of the movie included him just for his star power?

Jack Black's character in School of Rock also references Rush (particularly Peart). I don't see any reason to assume that he isn't a Rush fan. At any rate, regardless of what you think about him or how corny he is, what he says in the documentary ain't wrong . . . Rush do have a lot of creative energy (what he calls rocket sauce) and they are to be respected for their earnest championing of integrity and other positive values. You can call me naive, but I'm certain I'm not the only one who sees it this way.
  • Like 2

Jack Black's character in School of Rock also references Rush (particularly Peart). I don't see any reason to assume that he isn't a Rush fan. At any rate, regardless of what you think about him or how corny he is, what he says in the documentary ain't wrong . . . Rush do have a lot of creative energy (what he calls rocket sauce) and they are to be respected for their earnest championing of integrity and other positive values. You can call me naive, but I'm certain I'm not the only one who sees it this way.

I just can't imagine that the producers of the movie would have put in a guy with Black's notoriety who wasn't an actual fan of the band. To do so would have been crass and insulting to the band and their fans.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

I just can't imagine that the producers of the movie would have put in a guy with Black's notoriety who wasn't an actual fan of the band. To do so would have been crass and insulting to the band and their fans.

Yeah, and that!