Hating Neil Vs. Just Making Fun Of The Guy

ThatLightInYourEyes

Maybe someone could post a link to an interview or something where he said it? I've never seen it mentioned except here on this forum.

I'm too lazy to find a link but I've read multiple interviews where he's stated that he equates everything pre moving pictures to children's drawings. He says he's very embarrassed and he wishes he could erase them from time Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Maybe someone could post a link to an interview or something where he said it? I've never seen it mentioned except here on this forum.

I'm too lazy to find a link but I've read multiple interviews where he's stated that he equates everything pre moving pictures to children's drawings. He says he's very embarrassed and he could erase them from time

"Those were the growing years. I often equate that to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long, you know? I really wish they would just go away. I think we really started....wow, given my druthers, I would make our first album Moving Pictures. I can't think of a single reason not to do that!"

Don't know what the original source is but found it at these pages:

http://www.jerryluck...ntaries_082.htm

http://www.progarchi...?TID=97299&PN=1

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

Does he really hate all pre-Moving Pictures material? I honestly never heard that before. Hopefully that can't really be true. How in the hell could hate 2112 or Hemishperes?

And how could he not be embarrassed by the lyrical tripe that makes up Test for Echo?

Horse shit. That album's lyrics, minus Half the World (still a great song minus the lyrics), are Shakespeare compared to Counterparts.

I'm too lazy to find a link but I've read multiple interviews where he's stated that he equates everything pre moving pictures to children's drawings. He says he's very embarrassed and he could erase them from time

Wow, I guess it's hard for him to give the fans a break when he can't even give one to himself.

• Like 2

Does he really hate all pre-Moving Pictures material? I honestly never heard that before. Hopefully that can't really be true. How in the hell could hate 2112 or Hemishperes?

And how could he not be embarrassed by the lyrical tripe that makes up Test for Echo?

Horse shit. That album's lyrics, minus Half the World (still a great song minus the lyrics), are Shakespeare compared to Counterparts.

Eh, maybe some of Counterparts but Animate is one of the most eloquent lyrical efforts he's every made. The meaning beneath those words is undeniable.

• Like 1

"Those were the growing years. I often equate that to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long, you know? I really wish they would just go away. I think we really started....wow, given my druthers, I would make our first album Moving Pictures. I can't think of a single reason not to do that!"

Neither one of those sources say where the quote came from. I wouldn't trust it unless it's a credible source.

However, that being said, if it's true, I can kind of understand where he's coming from since he was learning how to write lyrics and getting better as a player. But sometimes just because someone is technically proficient on an instrument doesn't mean they write good songs, and vise versa.

The source seems to be Contents Under Pressure...don't know if it was an interview directly for the book.

If you read further he says something positive about Hemipheres....well for a second.

http://books.google.... know?"&f=false

Edited by savagegrace26

The source seems to be Contents Under Pressure...don't know if it was an interview directly for the book.

If you read further he says something positive about Hemipheres....well for a second.

It's still not a real definite source. You'd think somewhere there must be one.

Edited by EagleMoon

Aaaaah, not so much. I'm not a fan of Counterparts by any means but it's my ex wife's meat loaf compared to the dog sh!t that is the lyrics to Test for Echo. It's not just the worst song Rush has ever recorded (Half the World), it's Virtuality, Dog Years, TFE (actually, move that one up to second behind HTW) and others, that bring it down to the point of indefensibility.

Now consider Neurotica the first song on Counterparts, and it might be somewhat close...

• Like 1

It's still not a real definite source. You'd think somewhere there must be one.

A book about Rush isn't a definite source?
  • Like 1

Neither one of those sources say where the quote came from. I wouldn't trust it unless it's a credible source.

However, that being said, if it's true, I can kind of understand where he's coming from since he was learning how to write lyrics and getting better as a player. But sometimes just because someone is technically proficient on an instrument doesn't mean they write good songs, and vise versa.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Neil said that because it's what I would expect from an over-achiever. That's why he's so good at what he does, because he's his own worst critic. I get the feeling he's a little insecure and obsesses over his work until he feels it's 110% or else he's just not happy.

We love the early stuff however because it's connected with us and maybe reminds us our youth or certain things. But for him it really is like crayon drawings on the fridge.. I'm ok with that. It's completely opposite perspectives and he doesn't need to like it for me to like it !

Honestly, I think it's more constructive to do the latter. Any MSTies in TRF should enjoy what I did to that Morrissey Tupperware segment:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/Knightsaber1/tupperwareneil_zps3edbb4be.jpg

I love Neil (and MST3000K) but this is hilarious!

Oh and anybody who loves RUSH can't possibly really hate Neil.

Neil is a giant part of what RUSH is, and not just lyrically.

How could anybody really hate the guy who brought us 2112, Xanadu, and a hundred others??*

*If your reply has "Dog Years" in it, remember that even Ghandi farted once in a while.

Just Caress of Steel, I think.

It's still not a real definite source.

If the author is quoting Neil directly, it's definitive enough.

• Like 2

Oh and anybody who loves RUSH can't possibly really hate Neil.

Neil is a giant part of what RUSH is, and not just lyrically.

How could anybody really hate the guy who brought us 2112, Xanadu, and a hundred others??*

*If your reply has "Dog Years" in it, remember that even Ghandi farted once in a while.

He did not!!!

I'd be inclined to think my fans were all strange nerds as well if they made threads like this about me.

neil's definitely a weird one, but I think he shares a lot more with us than we give him credit for. the only problem is no one gives a shit about the things he shares! it's been dead family members, visiting deserts and mountains, and not believing in god for 20 years. tell us your favorite tv shows, tell us what underwear you prefer, and tell us you'll play something before 1980 so we'll shut the f**k up and get back to D&D

• Like 5

He said something to this effect in his own book, The Masked Rider.

I'd like to clarify that I don't think the fact that he feels that way about the work makes him an asshole. I just think that it is incredibly ungracious of him to say so. Whether he likes those albums or not, he knows how important they are his audience, and his discussing for the record his wish that they didn't exist is a subtle and small but very distinct "f**k you" to the people who hold that music in high esteem.

I'd like to clarify that I don't think the fact that he feels that way about the work makes him an asshole. I just think that it is incredibly ungracious of him to say so. Whether he likes those albums or not, he knows how important they are his audience, and his discussing for the record his wish that they didn't exist is a subtle and small but very distinct "f**k you" to the people who hold that music in high esteem.

Honestly that "I don't give a f*ck what you think" attitude of his makes him kind of awesome. You have to respect that.

Honestly that "I don't give a f*ck what you think" attitude of his makes him kind of awesome. You have to respect that.

Hey, I respect him for not caring what his fans think! I just don't respect his need to globally insult them to prove it.

Hey, I respect him for not caring what his fans think! I just don't respect his need to globally insult them to prove it.

I see nothing insulting about him stating how he personally feels about his earlier work. He's being direct and honest about it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Most public/entertainment figures strive hard to be liked. Neil is the opposite. He is who he is. At least he appears to be genuine about it all.

Found this interview from 1988. Interesting

Can you ever see yourself publishing a book of verse, or even a novel?

I would like to write a book one day, but it would probably be along the lines of a travel book, influenced by the new wave of travel writers. Because with something like that you can throw in anything you want. If you want to write a poem then that can be stuck in. If you want to write an essay, a diatribe or a vitriolic defamation of character, then they can fit in as well. This kind of amorphous style makes me feel a lot more comfortable than slots do. Sometimes even fiction can be a narrow constraint in the fact that you have to carry the plot forward. And as with music, you can get stuck in a certain style with fiction. Robert Ludlow had better never attempt an historical romance, nor Stephen King a serious work of literature! The same applies of course with most music. That's why Rush has been fortunate. Form our beginnings we decided to remain amorphous. We were lucky in some respects, because every time we felt confined by being only a three-piece technology has come along and opened fresh avenues for us. Time-wise we've spanned a very fortunate era in music -- although one definition of good fortune is when opportunity meets preparation. That, I believe, certainly applies to us.

http://www.2112.net/xanadu/interviews/neil.htm

Found this interview from 1988. Interesting

Can you ever see yourself publishing a book of verse, or even a novel?

I would like to write a book one day, but it would probably be along the lines of a travel book, influenced by the new wave of travel writers. Because with something like that you can throw in anything you want. If you want to write a poem then that can be stuck in. If you want to write an essay, a diatribe or a vitriolic defamation of character, then they can fit in as well. This kind of amorphous style makes me feel a lot more comfortable than slots do. Sometimes even fiction can be a narrow constraint in the fact that you have to carry the plot forward. And as with music, you can get stuck in a certain style with fiction. Robert Ludlow had better never attempt an historical romance, nor Stephen King a serious work of literature! The same applies of course with most music. That's why Rush has been fortunate. Form our beginnings we decided to remain amorphous. We were lucky in some respects, because every time we felt confined by being only a three-piece technology has come along and opened fresh avenues for us. Time-wise we've spanned a very fortunate era in music -- although one definition of good fortune is when opportunity meets preparation. That, I believe, certainly applies to us.

http://www.2112.net/...rviews/neil.htm

I don't get the significance of the highlighting. If a novelist says he could write about murders, then he's a killer? I don't get the point, assuming there is one.

Neil's complete lack of pandering to record companies, average music listeners, and people telling him that "he rocks" is exactly why I like him so much.

Declarations (especially personal observations about someone), rhetorical questions, and talking to yourself are never going to be successful conversation starters with any introvert. You're going to get a complete cold shoulder from me if your conversation starter is "you're tall". It's not that I'm mean, it's that it takes an incredible amount of concentration to hold in the "no shit, Einstein" that's trying to beat its way out of my brain.

• Like 1

Neil's absolute disdain for his "job" (let alone Rush music and Rush FANS) is exemplified on the Clockwork Angels DVD where he runs as fast as he can away from the stage to his bus before Alex's last chord is even done ringing!

What a d*ck.

And, I'm sure that was staged to a degree...but that makes it even WORSE! Because you KNOW that Neil made it a POINT to show just how fast he gets the hell OUTTA there...because for one he HATES it, and for another he wants to give a CLEAR impression: DON'T TRY TO APPROACH ME BECAUSE I'M OUTTA THIS BITCH BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN BLINK.

...once again, on the road for yet another mid-America hateride.