Hating Neil Vs. Just Making Fun Of The Guy

ThatLightInYourEyes

Neil's absolute disdain for his "job" (let alone Rush music and Rush FANS) is exemplified on the Clockwork Angels DVD where he runs as fast as he can away from the stage to his bus before Alex's last chord is even done ringing!

What a d*ck.

And, I'm sure that was staged to a degree...but that makes it even WORSE! Because you KNOW that Neil made it a POINT to show just how fast he gets the hell OUTTA there...because for one he HATES it, and for another he wants to give a CLEAR impression: DON'T TRY TO APPROACH ME BECAUSE I'M OUTTA THIS BITCH BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN BLINK.

...once again, on the road for yet another mid-America hateride.

Actually its so he can board his bus and pull away befopre rabid fans follow him, traffic gets bad outside the venue, etc. He's written about this, it has nothing whatsoever to do with giving the fans an impression. The most obvious impression is his hours long performance and giving 110% behind the drums.

• Like 2

Seriously. So what if he hated his job? He doesn't have to like it.

He's discussed it a million times. He loves performing live, but doesnt love the rigors with the schedule, and at their age and playing as long as they have been (per gig) theyre tired and beat by the end of the tour. He doesn't hate his job. If he did really hate it, he'd stop.

He's discussed it a million times. He loves performing live, but doesnt love the rigors with the schedule, and at their age and playing as long as they have been (per gig) theyre tired and beat by the end of the tour. He doesn't hate his job. If he did really hate it, he'd stop.

I didn't say he did. I said SO WHAT if he did? Does everyone here like their job? I'm sure it gets tedious listening to Geddy struggle every other night.

I didn't say he did. I said SO WHAT if he did? Does everyone here like their job? I'm sure it gets tedious listening to Geddy struggle every other night.

You said what if he did, and I let you know he didnt hate his job. So the what if is a questions that doesnt exist. Buit if we want to speculate he doesnt love his job every day, yes, hed join the rest of us, and thats not news.

Maybe someone could post a link to an interview or something where he said it? I've never seen it mentioned except here on this forum.

I'm too lazy to find a link but I've read multiple interviews where he's stated that he equates everything pre moving pictures to children's drawings. He says he's very embarrassed and he could erase them from time

"Those were the growing years. I often equate that to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long, you know? I really wish they would just go away. I think we really started....wow, given my druthers, I would make our first album Moving Pictures. I can't think of a single reason not to do that!"

Don't know what the original source is but found it at these pages:

http://www.jerryluck...ntaries_082.htm

http://www.progarchi...?TID=97299&PN=1

Neither one of those sources say where the quote came from. I wouldn't trust it unless it's a credible source.

However, that being said, if it's true, I can kind of understand where he's coming from since he was learning how to write lyrics and getting better as a player. But sometimes just because someone is technically proficient on an instrument doesn't mean they write good songs, and vise versa.

He said something to this effect in his own book, The Masked Rider.

I'd like to clarify that I don't think the fact that he feels that way about the work makes him an asshole. I just think that it is incredibly ungracious of him to say so. Whether he likes those albums or not, he knows how important they are his audience, and his discussing for the record his wish that they didn't exist is a subtle and small but very distinct "f**k you" to the people who hold that music in high esteem.

Honestly that "I don't give a f*ck what you think" attitude of his makes him kind of awesome. You have to respect that.

Hey, I respect him for not caring what his fans think! I just don't respect his need to globally insult them to prove it.

I see nothing insulting about him stating how he personally feels about his earlier work. He's being direct and honest about it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Most public/entertainment figures strive hard to be liked. Neil is the opposite. He is who he is. At least he appears to be genuine about it all.

The best one I heard was when Nail once referred to playing Fly By Night as having to hang up a picture he drew in Kindergarten. He felt (and prob still does) that the lyrics are amateurish and therefore doesnt want to play it.

• Like 1

Neil's absolute disdain for his "job" (let alone Rush music and Rush FANS) is exemplified on the Clockwork Angels DVD where he runs as fast as he can away from the stage to his bus before Alex's last chord is even done ringing!

What a d*ck.

And, I'm sure that was staged to a degree...but that makes it even WORSE! Because you KNOW that Neil made it a POINT to show just how fast he gets the hell OUTTA there...because for one he HATES it, and for another he wants to give a CLEAR impression: DON'T TRY TO APPROACH ME BECAUSE I'M OUTTA THIS BITCH BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN BLINK.

Copy and pasting your own posts? Any way, ok so if he hates it then why does he do it? Can't be for the money, he proved that back in '76..

What a d*ck.

Copy and pasting your own posts? Any way, ok so if he hates it then why does he do it? Can't be for the money, he proved that back in '76..

And even if does "hate" it? Again so what? He still does it regardless...why would his personal feelings about his "job" matter to you so much? Are you his employer? Are you going to fire him if he doesn't smile more when he's working?

Edited by savagegrace26

This is where fan obsession gets ridiculous.

Its not obsession, its dealing with a hypothetical that doesnt exist per the subject persons numerous explanations as to how he feels about his job.

Maybe. But in Spahetti's case it's obsession.

• Like 2

How many of you realize that Neil let us glimpse into his feelings towards fans and fame on the first album he ever appeared on?

Well, I know they've always told you

Selfishness was wrong

Yet it was for me, not you, I

Came to write this song

• Like 1

How many of you realize that Neil let us glimpse into his feelings towards fans and fame on the first album he ever appeared on?

Selfishness was wrong

Came to write this song

No. That was the genius of Ayn Rand's feelings.

Selfishness was wrong

Came to write this song

Are you saying that that line doesn't reflect Neil's personality? I'm pretty sure he was revealing part of himself there. Even if it was subconsciously.

Selfishness was wrong

Came to write this song

Are you saying that that line doesn't reflect Neil's personality? I'm pretty sure he was revealing part of himself there. Even if it was subconsciously.

I'm joking. But that was reflecting his views at the time (when he was in kindergarten) not now. People's views change over time.

Edited by savagegrace26

Selfishness was wrong

Came to write this song

I'm joking. But that was reflecting his views at the time (when he was in kindergarten) not now. People's views change over time.

Yeah, they write epics like "Half the World". Insightful stuff... :wacko:

Selfishness was wrong

Came to write this song

Yeah, they write epics like "Half the World". Insightful stuff... :wacko:

What the hell does that mean? He also wrote stuff like Rivendell and The Twilight Zone at the time...I'm referring to his specific views in Anthem. Every period of Neil's lyrics has some insightful lyrics and some bullsh*t.

• Like 1

Every period of Neil's lyrics has some insightful lyrics and some bullsh*t.

Not according to the person that wrote them.

Most of his lyrics prior to A Farewell to Kings (the song, which I consider the point where he started really evolving as a lyricist) are mosty trivial or forgettable with severel exceptions (Anthem, 2112, parts of The Fountain, Bastille Day, Something for Nothing, Bangkok).
  • Like 2

Neil addressed this issue decades ago: "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited-friend."

And yet in the same song he also wrote that one must put aside the alienation.

Neil addressed this issue decades ago: "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited-friend."

And yet in the same song he also wrote that one must put aside the alienation.

He probably meant that if you (a fan) feel alienated by him, just push it aside and don't bother him with it.

Edited by savagegrace26