What's Rush's best four album run?

Cygnus 2112

"Well, at least you can group them into similar (and chronologically adjacent) pairs... The same can't be said for VT/FB/SA/CA."

FB doesn't count. Rush needs one more album to fill out the VT-SA-CA-? tetrad.

It does count.

And so if Rush did a cover album of ABBA songs, or Bee Gees songs, or nursery rhyme songs, any of those would be a "Rush" album also, logically. I respectfully disagree.

I'd love to hear Geddy sing Stayin' Alive :cool: :haz:
  • Like 2

"Well, at least you can group them into similar (and chronologically adjacent) pairs... The same can't be said for VT/FB/SA/CA."

It does count.

And so if Rush did a cover album of ABBA songs, or Bee Gees songs, or nursery rhyme songs, any of those would be a "Rush" album also, logically. I respectfully disagree.

If they progged up Dancing Queen and made it a thirty minute guitar attack extravaganza, but kept the core elements the same, could one argue that it is no longer an ABBA song?

An album, a studio recording made of covers, is all the same. I wouldn't place it in the same canon, but I wouldn't overlook it completely either, especially as it is a very enjoyable album in its own right.

Edited by Segue Myles

I Would have killed to have heard Dancing Queen in Geddy's 70's voice, lol

Mick

I could see him pull it off...but not sure it would have quite the same magic...

Couldn't you just hear him do the oh yea's in his 70's style.......

OHHHHHHHHH YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Mick

Geddy...I would love to have heard them do a rock version of Voulez Vous...it could have been amazing...

• Like 1

I've got my fingers crossed that that album is on the way. It wouldn't make it their best four-album run since SA is in there, but another album in the vein of Clockwork Angels but even better would make me a very happy camper indeed.

• Like 2

Mick

Well, in the absence of that, here's Yngwie Malmsteen's cover of Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! :haz: :guitar: :haz:

• Like 1

It does count.

If they progged up Dancing Queen and made it a thirty minute guitar attack extravaganza, but kept the core elements the same, could one argue that it is no longer an ABBA song?

An album, a studio recording made of covers, is all the same. I wouldn't place it in the same canon, but I wouldn't overlook it completely either, especially as it is a very enjoyable album in its own right.

"I wouldn't place it in the same canon" -- but this is my (and others') point; you've just conceded. :P The question is not whether or not Rush recorded FB, it's whether FB is "canonical" (perfect choice of words, btw). It's not, as you admit. :cheers:

Permanent Waves—Moving Pictures—Signals—Grace Under Pressure. Geddy's voice was perfect, the production was perfect, the songs were perfect (save for Chemistry and Afterimage), just perfect.

(A lot of people would probably hate me for this, but my second choice would have been PoW—HYF—Presto—RTB :))

Afterimage is the best song on the album. And yes, I hate you for your opinions :D

• Like 3

It does count.

No, it doesn't. Albums that they wrote, please.

I don't think it matters...who would vote for that era anyway?

No one should but if this was a poll... someone would. :facepalm:

Cue a new poll. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Actually, this poll has been done before. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Mick

Well, in the absence of that, here's Yngwie Malmsteen's cover of Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! :haz: :guitar: :haz:

Words cannot describe the joy I felt listening to that...this Malmsteen...that guitar...

Where do I start with this man, come on guys I need more!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Mick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo3pfnldlD0

Words cannot describe the joy I felt listening to that...this Malmsteen...that guitar...

Where do I start with this man, come on guys I need more!

You liked him? Cool :cheers: :haz:

Probably best to start with his first album, Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force.

Still think it is this:

p/g 8.5/10

PoW 9.5/10

HYF 10/10

Presto 8/10

The second would be:

AFTK 10/10

Hems 7/10

PeW 9.5/10

MP 9.5/10

Permanent Waves—Moving Pictures—Signals—Grace Under Pressure. Geddy's voice was perfect, the production was perfect, the songs were perfect (save for Chemistry and Afterimage), just perfect.

(A lot of people would probably hate me for this, but my second choice would have been PoW—HYF—Presto—RTB :))

Afterimage is the best song on the album. And yes, I hate you for your opinions :D

That's okay. I do, too. :LOL:

Permanent Waves-Grace Under Pressure.

This.

This would be my choice as well. Signals is a much underrated album. All I know is their best four incorporates my favorite album

G under P.

this question is too hard for me to answer but something occurred to me while pondering this..

Rush's last 4 albums were released over a span of 16 years,

Their first 4 albums cover a span of just 2 years! (ok, actually 25 months but you get the idea!)

man those were the days!

• Like 1