Which Rush album that you now LOVE took you the longest to warm to?

Segue Myles

Right, as a newer Rush fan, I have found a large number of my favourite Rush albums at first left me cold.

Three come to mind:

Permanent Waves: my third album, after MP and 2112 respectively, I at first dismissed this as a dull MP soundalike. It is weird trying to explain how boring I found this album at first! The Spirit Of Radio bored me for the longest time...but one day I played it and like a lot of my favourite albums it just clicked with me.

Power Windows: I HATED THIS ALBUM FOR THE LONGEST TIME! So much so, in fact, that aside from CA (which I heard first), I had no desire to listen to anything else by them except for all the pre-PoW releases. But somehow, as I dipped my toe repeatedly into its waters, I came to like it, enough to dive right in and declare it an all time favourite album! Why? Well...the next album on this list has a lot to do with that...

Hold Your Fire: I found this on vinyl for £1. I decided at that price I had nothing to lose. To my surprise, I found it decent! Then I went back to Power Windows and it all made sense, the bands evolution. So I ended up loving PoW, and leaving this to one side. Over time I came back to this record, not really sure how I felt. I had so many gripes it is unreal...but today, playing it as I type for the third time in a row, I have to declare this a major masterpiece. Is it rock? Is it pop? What exactly is it? I don't know, but I just love it! It is a dreamy, atmospheric album with some absolutely spellbinding moments, Ooen Secrets, Lock And Key, Mission...I even live Tai Shan and High Water...right now this is my current obsession and I cannot remember ever enjoying a Rush album quite as much as this one.

Some Rush albums that I still have yet to fully warm to are: Rush, Fly By Night, Counterparts, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows.

I am not asking for a critique on why my taste is bad, or why your favourites are better than mine. What I am asking is simple:

Right, as a newer Rush fan, I have found a large number of my favourite Rush albums at first left me cold.

Three come to mind:

Permanent Waves: my third album, after MP and 2112 respectively, I at first dismissed this as a dull MP soundalike. It is weird trying to explain how boring I found this album at first! The Spirit Of Radio bored me for the longest time...but one day I played it and like a lot of my favourite albums it just clicked with me.

Power Windows: I HATED THIS ALBUM FOR THE LONGEST TIME! So much so, in fact, that aside from CA (which I heard first), I had no desire to listen to anything else by them except for all the pre-PoW releases. But somehow, as I dipped my toe repeatedly into its waters, I came to like it, enough to dive right in and declare it an all time favourite album! Why? Well...the next album on this list has a lot to do with that...

Hold Your Fire: I found this on vinyl for £1. I decided at that price I had nothing to lose. To my surprise, I found it decent! Then I went back to Power Windows and it all made sense, the bands evolution. So I ended up loving PoW, and leaving this to one side. Over time I came back to this record, not really sure how I felt. I had so many gripes it is unreal...but today, playing it as I type for the third time in a row, I have to declare this a major masterpiece. Is it rock? Is it pop? What exactly is it? I don't know, but I just love it! It is a dreamy, atmospheric album with some absolutely spellbinding moments, Ooen Secrets, Lock And Key, Mission...I even live Tai Shan and High Water...right now this is my current obsession and I cannot remember ever enjoying a Rush album quite as much as this one.

Some Rush albums that I still have yet to fully warm to are: Rush, Fly By Night, Counterparts, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows.

I am not asking for a critique on why my taste is bad, or why your favourites are better than mine. What I am asking is simple:

Good point about PeW, they were just trying to copy the success of MP. :)

The only one that fits for me is VT. Everything else I either loved immediately or haven't grown to love (Presto, S&A, CP, TFE), though I do appreciate HYF and PoW more, I still don't love them.

But when VT was remastered I gave the songs a second chance, and now love songs like Ceiling Unlimited, Sweet Miracle, and even Nocturne and How It Is.

I am not asking for a critique on why my taste is bad, or why your favourites are better than mine.

Very well put, Segue, and much nicer than I was thinking recently when I was contemplating the same.

To answer your question, I have found that when I first listen to an album, I am either instantly taken with it or I am not. If I can find a song or two to hold me to the latter reaction, I will listen to it again. For myself, the more I listen, the more I like. However, if I have to grit my teeth through the listening of an album even once, it is unlikely that I will be listening to it again any time soon.

Edited by Lorraine

Same here - Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

I pretty much stopped listening to Rush after Grace Under Pressure, almost 20 years later, my appreciation for Rush was reignited.

I remember hating Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Pure hatred. Now, I love 'em.

Three come to mind:

Good point about PeW, they were just trying to copy the success of MP. :)

The only one that fits for me is VT. Everything else I either loved immediately or haven't grown to love (Presto, S&A, CP, TFE), though I do appreciate HYF and PoW more, I still don't love them.

But when VT was remastered I gave the songs a second chance, and now love songs like Ceiling Unlimited, Sweet Miracle, and even Nocturne and How It Is.

Regarding PeW, bear in mind I had just started my Rush journey, wasn't familiar with prog outside of Mastodon, and heard Moving Pictures first. Took a while for me to recognise the greatness if PeW, whereas MP took just one listen.

Power Windows springs to mind for me, I thought it was just a load of keyboardy poppy crap for a while but, for the past few months, I've been really enjoying it. Snakes & Arrows is another, I found that to be a dull album for ages (still do to an extent, I can't listen to it all the way through), but their are some songs on their I thoroughly enjoy now. Some of their 70's albums are still growing on me.

Power Windows springs to mind for me, I thought it was just a load of keyboardy poppy crap for a while but, for the past few months, I've been really enjoying it. Snakes & Arrows is another, I found that to be a dull album for ages (still do to an extent, I can't listen to it all the way through), but their are some songs on their I thoroughly enjoy now. Some of their 70's albums are still growing on me.

How long have you been a fan? Your favourite album/era?

Hold your Fire. I just could not stand this record. it was trash to me. For YEARS i mean. then one day the bass solo before the 2nd verse of Prime Mover hit and.......CLICK. I love this record now.

Mick

Hold your Fire. I just could not stand this record. it was trash to me. For YEARS i mean. then one day the bass solo before the 2nd verse of Prime Mover hit and.......CLICK. I love this record now.

Mick

I don't know how Rush do it, but they release music so very of its time, and yet somehow they always manage to sound so timeless! I think Hold Your Fire, if released today, would fit comfortably alongside an album like Muse' Black Holes And Revelations. Just so beautiful...Turn The Page really stands out at the moment (playing it now for the third time).

I really enjoy most of this particular album, but Roll The Bones remains the only Rush album that I think has aged unflatteringly.

• Like 3

I've liked them for a few years, but it's only been since about May last year (ish) that I've been exploring their entire discography. My favourite album is Clockwork Angels but my favourite era is the same as most peoples, 2112 up to Signals.

I've liked them for a few years, but it's only been since about May last year (ish) that I've been exploring their entire discography. My favourite album is Clockwork Angels but my favourite era is the same as most peoples, 2112 up to Signals.

Clockwork Angels is the album that convinced me Rush were a band worth selling my mum for to pay for the entire studio album discography.

I came to really like Fly By Night and Hold Your Fire after initially considering one generic Zeppelin-y fare and the other loungy, laid-back fodder.

Power Windows, my longtime least-favorite Rush album, continues to grow on me at a glacial pace.

The release of power windows was too much for me at the time, just wasnt ready for it i actually thought was too 'pop' and unbelievably didnt listen to any new rush for maybe 3 or 4 years, partly as id just started uni and was going major life changes too but....

Of course on going back and discovering power windows/hyf etc they became just awesome rush for me the synth era was a fantastic breakout for the band from the usual prog rock and i totally loved it. I cant listen to mystic rhythms now coz i played it so much :)

So in answer, power windows completely turned me off the band on release but became some of the best rush id ever immersed myself into. This band is amazing has given us so much.

It took me a while to realize that I love P/G, or at least truly like it.

I am currently learning that I love Caress of Steel.

Everything else I have either liked or loved immediately, or never learned to like at all (T4E, VT).

Now, there are also a couple of albums that I thought I loved, but now don't like all that much: (RTB, CP)

It took me a while to realize that I love P/G, or at least truly like it.

I am currently learning that I love Caress of Steel.

Everything else I have either liked or loved immediately, or never learned to like at all (T4E, VT).

Now, there are also a couple of albums that I thought I loved, but now don't like all that much: (RTB, CP)

I thought at one time I loved Roll The Bones. But I do not. Four of the songs rank among my all time favourite though! Counterparts remains simply solid. My opinion has never changed towards it, there is nothing I hate about it, little I love about it. But it is there and that is enough (every now and then, I put it on and I swear it blows my mind...only to then remain forgotten in my memory afterwards).

I considered mentioning Caress Of Steel, but prior to recognising I loved the album, I merely liked it VERY VERY VERY MUCH!!

The three albums that come to mind for me are PoW, HYF, and Presto. I dismissed every track from Power Windows with the exceptions of The Big Money and Mystic Rhythms. One days a friend of mind played me Emotion Detector and it absolutely blew me away! Now I have PoW in my all time top 5. Similar story with HYF, I liked Force Ten and Time Stand Still only at first, it is also now a top 5 album for me, such an incredible amount of musical genius, I'm tempted to say that HYF contains the bands best "songwriting", but not necessarily their best songs. And despite the thin production on Presto, I have grown to like every song, Available Light is one of their all time best

Now i know it's not the topic but It can work the other way. Counterparts. At 8 years old in 93 )Yes i was collecting rush albums that young) I loved it. Played it to death. As I grew I realized there was maybe 4 songs i still liked. It just didn't have enough good materiel to work as an album.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Mick

I don't know how Rush do it, but they release music so very of its time, and yet somehow they always manage to sound so timeless! I think Hold Your Fire, if released today, would fit comfortably alongside an album like Muse' Black Holes And Revelations. Just so beautiful...Turn The Page really stands out at the moment (playing it now for the third time).

I really enjoy most of this particular album, but Roll The Bones remains the only Rush album that I think has aged unflatteringly.

I think the reason they sound timeless is because they're talented and they put so much thought into their songs.. Quality never gets old!

The three albums that come to mind for me are PoW, HYF, and Presto. I dismissed every track from Power Windows with the exceptions of The Big Money and Mystic Rhythms. One days a friend of mind played me Emotion Detector and it absolutely blew me away! Now I have PoW in my all time top 5. Similar story with HYF, I liked Force Ten and Time Stand Still only at first, it is also now a top 5 album for me, such an incredible amount of musical genius, I'm tempted to say that HYF contains the bands best "songwriting", but not necessarily their best songs. And despite the thin production on Presto, I have grown to like every song, Available Light is one of their all time best

I prefer Hold Your Fire to Hemispheres...gulp...

Presto is awesome! I have to be in the mood for it, but when I am I find it to be one of the bands quirkiest, most amusing albums. Available Light is my favourite off that album, alongside Chain Lightning and Presto.

• Like 1

I prefer Hold Your Fire to Hemispheres...gulp...

Presto is awesome! I have to be in the mood for it, but when I am I find it to be one of the bands quirkiest, most amusing albums. Available Light is my favourite off that album, alongside Chain Lightning and Presto.

Hemispheres is a heavy album, I gotta be in the right mood to listen to the whole thing. But I could probably listen to HYF every day and not get sick of it! Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

Mick

I think the reason they sound timeless is because they're talented and they put so much thought into their songs.. Quality never gets old!

They have something more than simply talent. Journey, Zeppelin and even The Beatles sound of their time, and rarely timeless, to my ears. And yet their talent is on a level with Rush, perhaps even superior. But never could I mistake a Beatles recording kf the sixties as a modern song, whilst I could imagine a song like Hemispheres being dreamed up somewhere by a modern band, most likely European.

Rush have some kind of magic about them. I think whatever it is is unexplainable, I swear no other band in the universe comes close to the magic of Rush. Not one! Not saying they are the best band ever (edit: LIES!!) but what they have is never to be repeated, I am sure of that. You cannot even successfully copy their sound! Its just...peerless...Rush is Rush. Even if they had half the talent they would still have had that certain spark.

I think Rush have usurped Lacuna Coil as my favourite band (or they are at least on par with each other).

Edited by Segue Myles

Presto is an album i'll defend to my death. Adore it. Most underrated Album.

Mick

Agreed. How anyone can complain about that albums production and blind themselves to the near perfection of the songwriting beats me. Presto a weak album? No, it isn't my favourite, but it is my vote for most underrated, alongside HYF and CoS.

I started listening to Rush in 1980 and loved pretty much everything they did (with the exception of the 1st album) as soon as I heard it. I was even okay with Signals and p/g. But then Power Windows came out and it was the beginning of the end for me. Gone were Rush's heaviness and unique style, and I heard them beginning to sound like an easy listening band—something I wanted no part of. (When HYF came out it was the final nail in their coffin for me for many years.)

Fast-forward to the CA tour and I suddenly realized that seeing the PoW songs live gave them a whole new meaning, and I suddenly loved several of them.

• Like 2