Has anybody here ever contributed to Wikipedia?

Blue J

I don't even have a registered account on Wikipedia, but I've looked at it some. But anyway, one of my cousins has asked if I would post something about my great-grandfather on it.

Everything I've seen on Wikipedia has citations to other online references, but what if the majority of what I have to contribute comes from personal archives? I know that there is a little bit posted online about him, his inventions, and his company, but not a lot. There is a lot more that I'd like to put out there if I can. I'm just not sure how to go about it. Any shared experience or help is appreciated.

sounds like you should make an account, go through the "wikipeda adventure" or whatever the trial is called, then make some serious contributions, even if minor, to other pages where you can, and then finally move on to making alterations and additions to your great grandfather's page. you justify each of your edits with a description which will only be seen by other editors, users, or for some reason interested people.

i edit wikipedia.. seldom, but i do it. mainly when i check out band pages and see something off.. An example? Yesterday I saw that System of a Down's "Hypnotize" album was classified as progresive rock as one of it's genres.. It was sourced too... The source was some noob from the guardian who simply referenced prog rock (no idea why) and balkan folk (have some idea why) in describing/reviewing the album. So some bigger noob read this article and thought "omg soad is prog lol time to edit and source this", and no one else on wikipedia cared enough to fix an obvious lie... So I did :D my reference in the justification for the edit was the wikipedia page for "progress rock" itself ;) and no, that's not something I recommend actually ever doing. I was being a smart ass.

sounds like you should make an account, go through the "wikipeda adventure" or whatever the trial is called, then make some serious contributions, even if minor, to other pages where you can, and then finally move on to making alterations and additions to your great grandfather's page. you justify each of your edits with a description which will only be seen by other editors, users, or for some reason interested people.

We'll, he doesn't have a page yet. That's what I've been tasked with writing. And that was my main problem to begin with- if the bulk of the information I have comes from private family archives, would I need to submit those things for posting on some other site, so that online citations on a Wikipedia page will be possible? Or can I just start with what I have in my basement?

I have found scant information on his and his company's patents online, but that's all. And the Wikipedia page for my cousin, who was an Indy car driver, is mostly full of his legal troubles. I'd just like to contribute something more, and more positive, that's all.

I guess it's going to take some time, is what you're saying.

Edited by Blue J

Yeah I've edited a few pages.

Me too, I edited the local morning show's DJs page and messed it up by making up a long winded story about the cover of one of their "bit compilation" albums they do every year for charity. They even talked about it on the air and they couldn't stop laughing. I was very proud that day, but the edit has been removed.... and I can no longer edit pages :LOL:

Me too, I edited the local morning show's DJs page and messed it up by making up a long winded story about the cover of one of their "bit compilation" albums they do every year for charity. They even talked about it on the air and they couldn't stop laughing. I was very proud that day, but the edit has been removed.... and I can no longer edit pages :LOL:

Hah! I've just corrected a few small things on various pages. Including the SAINTS wiki page.

Hah! I've just corrected a few small things on various pages. Including the SAINTS wiki page.

Which bits Ducky?

Which bits Ducky?

Check the page history.

The first page I ever edited was Leslie Neilsen's!

Which bits Ducky?

Check the page history.

is your ID on there treeduck? :)

I changed one thing once a few years ago, and then the day after, someone had changed it back, then I gave up and have never changed anything since then.

Which bits Ducky?

Check the page history.

is your ID on there treeduck? :)

Naturally. :AlienSmiley:

I wrote a section about a ride at Universal Studios that was originally very wrong, and sparse in detail. My entry was long, and without any annotations, but it has never been changed, only a tag has been added saying that it needs cleanup

I corrected some misinformation on an article or two. The reference was already there but the information on the wiki page was wrong. Edited by USB Connector

I did it...

I got pissed off at "the new millennium has seen Rush return to a rock and roll roots sound". When I hear "roots rock" I think The Band or some shit like that.

Changed it to hard progressive rock roots.

Yep I did it...edited the Rush page...laugh at me.

• Like 1