My thoughts about Rush In Rio

YYZumbi

I have now watched the whole Rush In Rio DVD for the first time, even thou I have had the DVD for a long time.

I tried when I bough it to watch it, but then I turned it off in the middle of the concert, because both the video and the audio quality is just awful ! ! ! ! !

But now I forced my self to watch the whole DVD, and I still think that its awful quality on audio and video. The audio is all muddy, and when Rush all jam togheter, then the sound just gets terrible. I must play the DVD on really low volume if I want it to sound good, and I love it when I play Rush videos loud! And about the video, you dont even get a full-screen, I mean what is this? Its like a frame all around the screen.. that destroys the live-mood! and sometimes a white line is on one of the sides on the screen...

But I must admit, now after watching the full concert, that its a awesome concert. The setlist is really good, they play lots of songs from the 70s and the best ones from Vapor Trails. And Rush seems to be in a great mood, they are happy, atleast Alex and Geddy. And the audience is wild and crazy, they are even singing along to YYZ! (How is that possible? :o ) And I loved Alex bullshit-talk during La Villa Strangiato, thats just sooo funny. :P He is sick in the head, but I love that guy. :D

But even thou this is a great show, it all gets destroyed by the quality on the audio and video...

If it was in good quality same as R30, then this would probarly be a favorite of mine, but not now..

I know that Rush had problems with the weather and all that, but I dont find it to be a enough excuse to release something with such terrible quality...

It sure will take a long time before I watch this DVD again....

I have now watched the whole Rush In Rio DVD for the first time, even thou I have had the DVD for a long time.

I tried when I bough it to watch it, but then I turned it off in the middle of the concert, because both the video and the audio quality is just awful ! ! ! ! !

But now I forced my self to watch the whole DVD, and I still think that its awful quality on audio and video. The audio is all muddy, and when Rush all jam togheter, then the sound just gets terrible. I must play the DVD on really low volume if I want it to sound good, and I love it when I play Rush videos loud! And about the video, you dont even get a full-screen, I mean what is this? Its like a frame all around the screen.. that destroys the live-mood! and sometimes a white line is on one of the sides on the screen...

But I must admit, now after watching the full concert, that its a awesome concert. The setlist is really good, they play lots of songs from the 70s and the best ones from Vapor Trails. And Rush seems to be in a great mood, they are happy, atleast Alex and Geddy. And the audience is wild and crazy, they are even singing along to YYZ! (How is that possible? :o ) And I loved Alex bullshit-talk during La Villa Strangiato, thats just sooo funny. :P He is sick in the head, but I love that guy. :D

But even thou this is a great show, it all gets destroyed by the quality on the audio and video...

If it was in good quality same as R30, then this would probarly be a favorite of mine, but not now..

I know that Rush had problems with the weather and all that, but I dont find it to be a enough excuse to release something with such terrible quality...

Agreed.

Well, I have a special place in my heart for Rush in Rio. I'm willing to live with its technical shortcomings. My son became a Rush fan before me. He kept pestering me to watch Rush in Rio. To shut him up, I relented. This DVD was what woke me up and won me over to :rush:
  • Like 5

Agreed.

I agree as well. It's really a shame that such a great concert was degraded by the audio and video being so poor.

I think it kicks a**! :haz: The fans are fantastic and I love the atmosphere.

I am surprised it turned out as well as it did considering the conditions and where it was played/filmed.

:rush:

• Like 8

I love the raw sound and feel of it. Rush has a tendency to sound a bit too perfect a lot of the time, and it's a criticism you'll hear from people who don't like them.
  • Like 4

My husband has been learning to play "Resist" and he plays along with the Rush in Rio version. I love it more than I do the original. I don't think the audio is that bad but that's just me I guess.
  • Like 2

This show is special to me because it is really what brought my then 13 year old son (now 24) and I together on Rush. He was a budding musician at the time and I being a longtime fan bought then DVD and we watched it many times over together. He would grab his acoustic and play the cords by ear to many of the songs and be so proud to play them for me. My strongest recollection was how much he loved/loves Natural Science. One of my all time favorites of course. When he was 17 and I took him to the Snakes & Arrows show in Charlotte NC the his excitement was something I will never forget..... :)
  • Like 7

This show is special to me because it is really what brought my then 13 year old son (now 24) and I together on Rush. He was a budding musician at the time and I being a longtime fan bought then DVD and we watched it many times over together. He would grab his acoustic and play the cords by ear to many of the songs and be so proud to play them for me. My strongest recollection was how much he loved/loves Natural Science. One of my all time favorites of course. When he was 17 and I took him to the Snakes & Arrows show in Charlotte NC the his excitement was something I will never forget..... :)

That performance of Nat Sci is why it's my #1 Rush song to this day.

• Like 1

That performance of Nat Sci is why it's my #1 Rush song to this day.

It's is amazing no doubt....
  • Like 1

Rant on

Zumbi, you're a bootleg junkie, and sound like a real tool. Hear me out.

How can you bitch about quality when you'll basically listen and share any performance by Rush recorded with the most primitive equipment out there?

Get over it dude. It's a magical event

Rant off

• Like 2

Rant on

Zumbi, you're a bootleg junkie, and sound like a real tool. Hear me out.

How can you bitch about quality when you'll basically listen and share any performance by Rush recorded with the most primitive equipment out there?

Get over it dude. It's a magical event

Rant off

Because with bootlegs, then I dosent count for it to be good, then I can look behind it, but this DVD is a official one, then I want high quality!

And besides, I am mostly only collecting soundboard bootlegs, because I DO want high quality on sound!

Edited by Zumbi

I didn't like it the first time I heard it, then I opened the book and read about it, listened to it the next day, cranked the stereo and was blown away by the energy. One of the best live albums ever released.
  • Like 3

Rush In Rio is special to me as well. It was my reintroduction to them when I first came here (and a very special day it was :heart: ) after having asked where I should begin in my re-education studies. :)

And just to add yet more proof that there are as many differing opinions on Rush as there are fans, it was the crowd in Rio that turned me off. But I simply adored :rush: ! :wub: The documentary included is one of their best. Lest we forget Geddy and his stage shoes. And shrimp cots and soup. :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I didn't like it the first time I heard it, then I opened the book and read about it, listened to it the next day, cranked the stereo and was blown away by the energy. One of the best live albums ever released.

Yeah,

The crowd energy is off the charts! I'm sure the band was really pumped and the pressure was on them to pull off a great performance. :haz: :rush:

• Like 1

Rio is a GREAT performance with an AMAZING audience.

Consider they got no real sound check... the line check happened 10 mins before showtime and video couldn't do a test because of the rain and overall it's stunning they were even able to capture this show.

• Like 4

Was there an official cd release of this show as well? If so, I'm guessing it suffers from the same sound "quality issues" as the dvd?

It does in my view. This is one in my opinion that really must be "watched"....

Was there an official cd release of this show as well? If so, I'm guessing it suffers from the same sound "quality issues" as the dvd?

Agree with the "watching" part. I was just thinking that if the cd had better sound, one could crank it up and mute the sound

from the dvd.

Yeah.. Alex was in charge of the mix on this one and I think he was hitting the soup a bit hard during the process.

In an interview around the time of the Rio release he said he wanted the mix to come across as though the listener was in the 12th row, dead center (pretty much optimal for sound at a concert).

It didn't really work out that well IMO.

Rush in Rio is definitely something you should watch to obtain the full experience of that insane crowd. 50k ravenous Brazilians singing along to YYZ is nothing short of awesome...and hilarious :D

Rush in Rio was my first real taste of live Rush. Of course, like any proper Rush fan, I had heard ATWAS before and thought it sounded good (oh how my opinion has changed), but the connection was lost because there was no video footage, and over 25 years ago. I remember when my mom bought my dad Rush in Rio for Christmas of '03, and oh did she regret that decision. He and I blasted the surround sound as we watched it on the TV :D Truly an unforgettable moment.

• Like 1