x1yyz

Does it stand the test of time? Hell yes. It's their best since MP (you could make an argument for the reciprocal of g/p possibly).

Um...atm, Presto, Test For Echo, Power Windows, Signals and Counterparts come to mind as particularly strong contenders for best intermediate albums (yes I included T4E).

• Like 1

The truth is that RUSH hadn't had a Wall to Wall album since the early 80s. Every album that followed after Power Windows had tracks that IMO were skippable. Clockwork Angels was their first album since that era that captured their signature Progresive Metal Style, feel and Compositions. It was the first album in over 20 years that you could listen to every song without Skipping any Tracks. Its Wall to Wall. They captured the magic they had long lost since their early days. Some may claimed that it was rehashed stuff. Well maybe only with Headlong Flight which clearly emulates Bastile Day and By-Tor. Regarldess, its might sound rehashed because once again it sounds like :rush: ! Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 5

The truth is that RUSH hadn't had a Wall to Wall album since the early 80s. Every album that followed after Power Windows had tracks that IMO were skippable. Clockwork Angels was their first album since that era that captured their signature Progresive Metal Style, feel and Compositions. It was the first album in over 20 years that you could listen to every song without Skipping any Tracks. Its Wall to Wall. They captured the magic they had long lost since their early days. Some may claimed that it was rehashed stuff. Well maybe only with Headlong Flight which clearly emulates Bastile Day and By-Tor. Regarldess, its might sound rehashed because once again it sounds like :rush: !

Yes, what he said!

• Like 1

The truth is that RUSH hadn't had a Wall to Wall album since the early 80s. Every album that followed after Power Windows had tracks that IMO were skippable. Clockwork Angels was their first album since that era that captured their signature Progresive Metal Style, feel and Compositions. It was the first album in over 20 years that you could listen to every song without Skipping any Tracks. Its Wall to Wall. They captured the magic they had long lost since their early days. Some may claimed that it was rehashed stuff. Well maybe only with Headlong Flight which clearly emulates Bastile Day and By-Tor. Regarldess, its might sound rehashed because once again it sounds like :rush: !

Yes, what he said!

I find it interesting the comments about them recapturing the magic that they had years ago with CA. I remember hearing the same exact sentiments about Snakes & Arrows when it came out. Their albums have always sounded like Rush, even though production quality has varied considerably on some albums vs. others. IMO, CA sounds a lot like S&A's and not just because Nick produced it but because it sounds like one big wall of sound. The songs don't have a lot of definition to them one to the next until you get to The Garden which sticks out like a sore thumb. It's a really good song but it doesn't fit in that wall of sound.

Amen Hector!!! I can't like this post enough

• Like 1

Being honest with myself Clockwork Angels is good and listened to it alot for a while and wanted to love it. I just can't. Do I like it? Yes. Is my perception that it is better than anything since Power Windows? Yes. Looking back over the past 30 years or so I am pretty sure it is the first "album" of any kind that I have bought since Power Windows. If I went through my fairly vast album collection I would be willing to bet everything was released pre 1981 with only a few exceptions. Signals, Exit Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Clockwork Angels and I also have Vapor Trails remix. I tried like hell to love it too but just can't. There was a 25-30 year period were the only music I listened to was classic rock in the car and that was about it. I have also tried recently to listen to some of the albums from HYF to VT here and there and just can't get through them all the way. The music I love, I love with passion but like I said most of it was released from 1970 - 1981. Damn I must have been really busy with other things (life) from 81' to recently..... :sigh: :|

There was a lot of great rock music released after '81

I am sure there was but sadly I just missed it..... :codger:

Narp, go get yourself Soundgarden - Superunknown, Audioslave - Audioslave, The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan, The Parlor Mob - And You Were a Crow, and Wolfmother - Wolfmother. All released in the last 20 years, all great "classic" rock albums.

On topic, Clockwork Angels is their best album since GUP. I love S&A too, but CA is better. Everything else from PoW to VT I can enjoy because I'm a Rush fan, but I don't find myself listening to them except when I'm going through a Rush binge.

• Like 1

Being honest with myself Clockwork Angels is good and listened to it alot for a while and wanted to love it. I just can't. Do I like it? Yes. Is my perception that it is better than anything since Power Windows? Yes. Looking back over the past 30 years or so I am pretty sure it is the first "album" of any kind that I have bought since Power Windows. If I went through my fairly vast album collection I would be willing to bet everything was released pre 1981 with only a few exceptions. Signals, Exit Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Clockwork Angels and I also have Vapor Trails remix. I tried like hell to love it too but just can't. There was a 25-30 year period were the only music I listened to was classic rock in the car and that was about it. I have also tried recently to listen to some of the albums from HYF to VT here and there and just can't get through them all the way. The music I love, I love with passion but like I said most of it was released from 1970 - 1981. Damn I must have been really busy with other things (life) from 81' to recently..... :sigh: :|

Narp, go get yourself Soundgarden - Superunknown, Audioslave - Audioslave, The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan, The Parlor Mob - And You Were a Crow, and Wolfmother - Wolfmother. All released in the last 20 years, all great "classic" rock albums.

On topic, Clockwork Angels is their best album since GUP. I love S&A too, but CA is better. Everything else from PoW to VT I can enjoy because I'm a Rush fan, but I don't find myself listening to them except when I'm going through a Rush binge.

The first Pearl Jam album doesn't suck either.

I've heard (seen?) people talking about the poor production on CA so I'm listening to it now on our home system. This is a better-than-average sound system with a sub-woofer, and I've heard a lot of things in songs on this system that I had never heard on others. My verdict: Clockwork Angels seems...muddy. Is that the general consensus? Mind you, I'm not a musician or sound engineer, but the sound here seems to lack definition and separation. Also, I have to turn the volume up much louder than I do for most other albums. The only thing I noticed while listening on this sound system that I hadn't heard before was some rumbling vibration at the end of 7CoG.

I've listened to CA many times on my iPod with my Etymotic headphones and it sounds MUCH better there. I don't get the muddiness that I do on the home system. What's up with that—the way the sound is transferred to my head?

I have a Denon receiver, with Definitive Technologies spearkers that have built in subs and amplifiers. There are parts of CA that I have to turn down because it's so damn muddy...it just shakes the damn house! Edited by ILSnwdog

CA is a real nadir in the band's career imo. I know a ton of hardcore fans love it, but for me it truly was the sign that Rush should just pack it in now.

I'm glad that it is an album that brought new fans to the band & also brought lapsed rush fans back into the fold but it's just not for me at all.

Are you sure that you are listening to Clockwork Angels? Is it possible that you put the last offering from Metallica in the wrong CD case? :huh:
  • Like 1

I would also throw out Helmet - Meantime, The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen, Chevelle - Wonder What's Next, Deftones - White Pony, Live - Throwing Copper, and just about anything from Tool. :haz:

As far as CA is concerned...it's their best work since Power Windows. I don't know if I would rate CA higher than anything from the AFWTK - PoW...but it is certainly as good or better than anything they produced outside of that period. Then to consider the fact that it is their, what, 19th studio album...and they were all pushing 60 when they recorded it...then all I can say is DAMN! :notworthy: Show me another band that has produced anything this good so late in their careers.

And the production sucks...It's like seeing a black eye on a gorgous model. :( You would think that after the muddled piece of shit VT was (thank god for the remastered version), they would have been more careful. Maybe producing crappy sounding records is their way to see them through retirement. When they are in their 70s and 80s, they can remaster CA and get a little more loot when they are done touring. ;)

• Like 3

You can throw Stone Temple Pilots' Core in there too.

In my opinion, Clockwork Angels is a culmination of all of their albums rolled into one. I think that it is the best album they have done since the early eighties.

I find it amazing that they still, after almost forty years (at the time of its production), have such talent within them to produce an album like CA.

How do they do it?

• Like 3

What about you? Have you listened to Clockwork Angels lately? Has it stood the test of time for you?

Absolutely and totally. I couldn't be happier with it. It might be one of those rare albums where I don't skip tracks.

• Like 2

In my opinion, Clockwork Angels is a culmination of all of their albums rolled into one. I think that it is the best album they have done since the early eighties.

I find it amazing that they still, after almost forty years (at the time of its production), have such talent within them to produce an album like CA.

How do they do it?

Agree with that....
  • Like 2

How do they do it?

Agree with that....

I might be wrong but have you been around much lately buddy bud bud?

How do they do it?

Agree with that....

I might be wrong but have you been around much lately buddy bud bud?

I have been. I had a week in Florida recently with my parents were I might as well been on Gilligan's Island.... :)
  • Like 1

In my opinion, Clockwork Angels is a culmination of all of their albums rolled into one.

Nail on the head diva. It's a rare thing to achieve.

I hope it isn't, but this may very well be their last album. As I was listening to it earlier, I thought that to myself because I noticed that CA seemed to have something for everyone on it. The Garden was the perfect finishing touch.

In my opinion, Clockwork Angels is a culmination of all of their albums rolled into one.

I hope it isn't, but this may very well be their last album. As I was listening to it earlier, I thought that to myself because I noticed that CA seemed to have something for everyone on it. The Garden was the perfect finishing touch.

definitely not their last album, unless something bad happens.

If they continue to build on each previous album, which I fel they have this whole century so far, the next album could very likely be their magnum opus. I really do not think the likelihood of another absolute classic is out of the question.
  • Like 2

definitely not their last album, unless something bad happens.

Here's to :rush: 's next album! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

• Like 2

If they continue to build on each previous album, which I fel they have this whole century so far, the next album could very likely be their magnum opus. I really do not think the likelihood of another absolute classic is out of the question.

I hope so more than you could ever know.

Same here! I think CA might be it...but I am certain they have at least one more shot at something AFTK (or whatever your favourite is) worthy for our era!

Same here! I think CA might be it...but I am certain they have at least one more shot at something AFTK (or whatever your favourite is) worthy for our era!

Yeah, I hope we'll get at least 21 studio albums of which 12 become immortal classics. :rush:

• Like 1