x1yyz

CA has lost a bit since the honeymoon period, for me, but I still love the album and it is still my favorite since MP. I have it sitting in the 5-8 range for favorites.

I agree that the production is lacking, and I'd love a cleaner sound with more space (looking at you, Alex), but the songs are fantastic and the lyrics are great.

• Like 2

I've listened to the album earlier today and I must say that it hasn't lost its magic, that it had from the very beginning. For me it contains a lot of great songs with fantastic melodies, haunting riffs, soulful solos and not to forget a brilliant story, told with some outstanding lyrics. It's still a very good album which captivates me every time I give it a spin. :rush:
  • Like 5

I've heard (seen?) people talking about the poor production on CA so I'm listening to it now on our home system. This is a better-than-average sound system with a sub-woofer, and I've heard a lot of things in songs on this system that I had never heard on others. My verdict: Clockwork Angels seems...muddy. Is that the general consensus? Mind you, I'm not a musician or sound engineer, but the sound here seems to lack definition and separation. Also, I have to turn the volume up much louder than I do for most other albums. The only thing I noticed while listening on this sound system that I hadn't heard before was some rumbling vibration at the end of 7CoG.

I've listened to CA many times on my iPod with my Etymotic headphones and it sounds MUCH better there. I don't get the muddiness that I do on the home system. What's up with that—the way the sound is transferred to my head?

Muddy is a good word. I will never be satisfied however until the sound is clean and the instruments and vocals stand on their own. Some sort of noise every millisecond just bugs me. A pipe dream really..... :|

Now, back in 2012, I was just as geeked as anybody else about this. I checked the web everyday for updates, feverishly speculated about the album, just in general went nuts for this thing. I got the leak as soon as it dropped and later went on to buy 3 copies of the album (for some reason :facepalm: ). So it is with a very heavy heart that I say....

CA seems like a backwards move for the band.

:ranton:

I know that Snakes and Arrows isn't the most popular album around here, but I've recently grown very fond of it. The thing I enjoy about SnA is it's textural qualities. Alex especially utilizes some very lovely guitar textures throughout the album. It's not their best album ever, but to me, it's a very mature album that manages to really play to the band's strengths and show a new side of Rush that had previously only been glimpsed at.

Clockwork Angels on the other hand really seems lacking in all of those regards. Sure, there are some really great songs on there (The Anarchist being chief among them), and two of the band's best ballads are featured as well, but I still get a "what's new?" sort of feeling from this one. Much of CA just feels like Rush trying desperately to be the band that they were in the 70's, and not really succeeding. This album marked the return of the Science Fiction/Concept themes of 2112 and Hemispheres but unfortunately included little of the inventiveness that made those albums exciting.

Alex, again, is the one who really makes this album what it is. Unfortunately in this case, what he ends up making is a undefined sonic mess. Many of the tracks feature layer after layer of shapeless, muddy guitars that transform potentially good songs into sludge. The title track suffers from this worse than any other, with the guitars forming this impenetrable wall of noise that grinds the track's momentum to a halt.

That is not to say that there are not great elements at work here too. While some of the lyrics are a tad on the unwieldy side (Wish Them Well) most of them range from good to down right excellent. Geddy's bass playing just keeps getting better and better. He is definitely the best he's ever been right now. While I do have reservations about the guitar on the album, even that has some really great moments. Alex's playing on Carnies is a particular highlight.

It's just that, to me, this isn't the "total package" Rush album that many people seem to regard it as. :rantoff:

All of this of course is strictly my opinion.

I agree with this completely. I just can't bond with Clockwork Angels.

CA could have been a great album but it just sounds ordinary with a few great moments thrown in.

With all due respect, and I mean this with great humility—what is "ordinary" about CA? If it sounds like no other Rush record, wouldn't that make it special?

I have an ear. I'm a musician. In fact, I'm a BassMeister (not self-proclaimed. thanks Narpski). What makes it "ordinary"? Because it's still kicking my ass two years since the release. It makes every previous studio album (save PeW, AFTK, PoW) sound dated and thin.

Yes. I said thin.

I have an ear too. In fact, I have two of them. However, I am no musician. But I am thin. Dated too, I suppose.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I'm starting to think that maybe 73 should be giving music aptitude tests and also a test to test one's Rush I.Q. to all who wish to become members of this prestigious forum.

He can then group everyone together into their own section so they can be with their own kind.

You will find me (if, of course, you are looking for me) playing with Rush bobbleheads in the kindergarten class listening nonstop to Xanadu with a glazed look in my eyes. :laughing guy:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

Now, back in 2012, I was just as geeked as anybody else about this. I checked the web everyday for updates, feverishly speculated about the album, just in general went nuts for this thing. I got the leak as soon as it dropped and later went on to buy 3 copies of the album (for some reason :facepalm: ). So it is with a very heavy heart that I say....

I know that Snakes and Arrows isn't the most popular album around here, but I've recently grown very fond of it. The thing I enjoy about SnA is it's textural qualities. Alex especially utilizes some very lovely guitar textures throughout the album. It's not their best album ever, but to me, it's a very mature album that manages to really play to the band's strengths and show a new side of Rush that had previously only been glimpsed at.

Clockwork Angels on the other hand really seems lacking in all of those regards. Sure, there are some really great songs on there (The Anarchist being chief among them), and two of the band's best ballads are featured as well, but I still get a "what's new?" sort of feeling from this one. Much of CA just feels like Rush trying desperately to be the band that they were in the 70's, and not really succeeding. This album marked the return of the Science Fiction/Concept themes of 2112 and Hemispheres but unfortunately included little of the inventiveness that made those albums exciting.

Alex, again, is the one who really makes this album what it is. Unfortunately in this case, what he ends up making is a undefined sonic mess. Many of the tracks feature layer after layer of shapeless, muddy guitars that transform potentially good songs into sludge. The title track suffers from this worse than any other, with the guitars forming this impenetrable wall of noise that grinds the track's momentum to a halt.

That is not to say that there are not great elements at work here too. While some of the lyrics are a tad on the unwieldy side (Wish Them Well) most of them range from good to down right excellent. Geddy's bass playing just keeps getting better and better. He is definitely the best he's ever been right now. While I do have reservations about the guitar on the album, even that has some really great moments. Alex's playing on Carnies is a particular highlight.

It's just that, to me, this isn't the "total package" Rush album that many people seem to regard it as. :rantoff:

CA could have been a great album but it just sounds ordinary with a few great moments thrown in.

With all due respect, and I mean this with great humility—what is "ordinary" about CA? If it sounds like no other Rush record, wouldn't that make it special?

I have an ear. I'm a musician. In fact, I'm a BassMeister (not self-proclaimed. thanks Narpski). What makes it "ordinary"? Because it's still kicking my ass two years since the release. It makes every previous studio album (save PeW, AFTK, PoW) sound dated and thin.

Yes. I said thin.

The problem is that it sounds like rehashed older stuff, but just not done as well. Personally I think the lyrics are really lacking and the music is just stale. Headlong Flight is the only song on the album that sounds like it could've been on an album pre-Moving Pictures. In other words, full of energy and more original. But even the guys admit that it's very similar to Bastille Day in chord structure.

I see the bath salt epidemic has made its way to Pittsburgh

Is that some kind of weird random statement or is it something I'm supposed to know?

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Yes. I said thin.

The problem is that it sounds like rehashed older stuff, but just not done as well. Personally I think the lyrics are really lacking and the music is just stale. Headlong Flight is the only song on the album that sounds like it could've been on an album pre-Moving Pictures. In other words, full of energy and more original. But even the guys admit that it's very similar to Bastille Day in chord structure.

Is that some kind of weird random statement or is it something I'm supposed to know?

A humorous response to your thoughts regarding CA. Please know I'm just confused, or maybe perplexed by your assessment. Bath salts are a real epidemic in our country, with abusers saying and doing really crazy things. Being a resident of TN, straight outta Goatnut, I need some help understanding you. Let's start with this one:

1. "It just sounds like rehashed older stuff, just not done as well."

Still trying to makes sense of the statement.

Caravan, BU2B, CA, Anarchist, Carnies, Halo Effect, SCOG, Wreckers, HF, WTW, BU2B2, and The Garden are rehashed? Aside from your reference to the Bastille Day, how is it rehashed? As I read the list of songs I'm attempting to see a real, unmistakable connection to their past work, other than feel. To me they seem unique. Where does the album retread? Help me out.

• Like 2

I was thrilled by CA upon it's release, but it has not stood the test of time. Alex has gotten much less creative tone-wise, Geddy struggles in writing good vocal lines (for the most part), Neil's lyrics don't flow like they used to, and the whole album seems to have a lot less textural diversity than their previous works
  • Like 3

Not top five for me but definitely cracks the top ten. It's pretty hard to top MP, Signals, 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, AFTK.
  • Like 1

I stand by my original Statement:

"Clockwork Angels is a modern Masterpiece!"

:rush: :haz: :rush:

WWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT????????

It's just an album full of rehashed stuff. Don't you see it?!? I can't bond with this...do better next time boys

• Like 2

Yes. I said thin.

A humorous response to your thoughts regarding CA. Please know I'm just confused, or maybe perplexed by your assessment. Bath salts are a real epidemic in our country, with abusers saying and doing really crazy things. Being a resident of TN, straight outta Goatnut, I need some help understanding you. Let's start with this one:

Caravan, BU2B, CA, Anarchist, Carnies, Halo Effect, SCOG, Wreckers, HF, WTW, BU2B2, and The Garden are rehashed? Aside from your reference to the Bastille Day, how is it rehashed? As I read the list of songs I'm attempting to see a real, unmistakable connection to their past work, other than feel. To me they seem unique. Where does the album retread? Help me out.

You know, there comes a point when someone seems to be selectively blind (or deaf in this instance) and they still doesn't get it there still isn't much of a point in beating a dead horse. You have your opinion and I have mine. If you can't hear the what I'm talking about then there's not going to be much point in trying to explain it to you because you've consumed the CA Kool-Aid. The tired wall of sound that is CA doesn't need a lot of describing. It should be obvious. I'll try to make it simple. The melodies are tired, it was recorded with too high gain, the songwriting and the lyrics are boring and not up to any of their previous standards. The vocals are muffled and very processed sounding. Sonically it's just a mess.

Yes. I said thin.

You know, there comes a point when someone seems to be selectively blind (or deaf in this instance) and they still doesn't get it there still isn't much of a point in beating a dead horse. You have your opinion and I have mine. If you can't hear the what I'm talking about then there's not going to be much point in trying to explain it to you because you've consumed the CA Kool-Aid. The tired wall of sound that is CA doesn't need a lot of describing. It should be obvious. I'll try to make it simple. The melodies are tired, it was recorded with too high gain, the songwriting and the lyrics are boring and not up to any of their previous standards. The vocals are muffled and very processed sounding. Sonically it's just a mess.

On the other hand, some of us LOVE THE ALBUM regardless of said flaws...I agree it is far from perfect sonically speaking, but the album has an element of magic that hooked me from the start. CA took me from curious, casual fan, to a die hard fanatic from day one! So glad I bought the Classic Rock fan pack the day of its release. Seriously though, prior to this album, I had heard 2112, MP and PeW. I liked them. As soon as I heard CA I LOVED THEM! For me, 2012 was a very strong year for albums. Several of my all time favourites were released that year.

Regardless of flaws, CA was my number one, and I still regard it as a major high in the career of Rush. The songs are stunning.

• Like 6

Same here. I used to listen to Rush occasionally. CA turned me into a fanatic.
  • Like 6

Yes. I said thin.

On the other hand, some of us LOVE THE ALBUM regardless of said flaws...I agree it is far from perfect sonically speaking, but the album has an element of magic that hooked me from the start. CA took me from curious, casual fan, to a die hard fanatic from day one! So glad I bought the Classic Rock fan pack the day of its release. Seriously though, prior to this album, I had heard 2112, MP and PeW. I liked them. As soon as I heard CA I LOVED THEM! For me, 2012 was a very strong year for albums. Several of my all time favourites were released that year.

Regardless of flaws, CA was my number one, and I still regard it as a major high in the career of Rush. The songs are stunning.

You're allowed to like it. :LOL: I was just pointing out my issues with it. With all the good music that they've produced over the years even their worst stuff is better than so much of the music that's out there today.

• Like 1

If you want a movie flavor to go with this album watch "The Crow" if you haven't seen it.

http://www.arts-wallpapers.com/movie_wallpapers/The_Crow_Wallpaper/img1a09.jpg

Edited by calirush

I have spent the past week locked into Rush's past - mostly the seventies and eighties - and just popped in this DVD as a contrast. Geddy is right when he says that they can't stand still and always have to keep going forward.

I think I will be heartbroken if they break up. I hope they keep going on as long as they can.

But I can't help but wonder how the CA String Ensemble would enhance Xanadu if they played it on their next tour. :wub: :LOL:

• Like 1

Does it stand the test of time? Hell yes. It's their best since MP (you could make an argument for the reciprocal of g/p possibly).
  • Like 3

CA is a real nadir in the band's career imo. I know a ton of hardcore fans love it, but for me it truly was the sign that Rush should just pack it in now.

I'm glad that it is an album that brought new fans to the band & also brought lapsed rush fans back into the fold but it's just not for me at all.

• Like 1

CA is a real nadir in the band's career imo. I know a ton of hardcore fans love it, but for me it truly was the sign that Rush should just pack it in now.

I'm glad that it is an album that brought new fans to the band & also brought lapsed rush fans back into the fold but it's just not for me at all.

Shame you don't feel the same way...but at least you have the choice of nineteen other albums, hey!?!