What Rush lyrics have had the most profound affect on you?

Lorraine

I've been wondering if anyone else here has been affected by a line or two (or more) penned by the one and only Neil?

For myself, it would be these words:

Quick to judge

Quick to anger

Slow to understand

I remember the first time I heard Geddy sing these lines and thinking "That's me." It is something that I work on each and every day, and may very well die before I master this vice.

• Like 3

I can't add much because the whole of "Witch Hunt" (the lyrics) is my favorite all time. Beautiful song and wonderful and meaningful lyrics..... :)
  • Like 2

I don't know that any of the lyrics have changed me for the better, but "hold your ahead above the crowd and they won't bring you down" sure struck a chord with me in high school. Many of my friends in school tried to fit in with the popular crowd and then were bummed when they inevitably failed, but those lyrics helped me realize that not being part of the crowd wasn't such a bad thing.
  • Like 4

I don't know that any of the lyrics have changed me for the better, but "hold your ahead above the crowd and they won't bring you down" sure struck a chord with me in high school. Many of my friends in school tried to fit in with the popular crowd and then were bummed when they inevitably failed, but those lyrics helped me realize that not being part of the crowd wasn't such a bad thing.

Glad to see I got some likes for that. I hope to instill the same lesson in my daughter when she's older. I don't know letting her hear Geddy roar it out will be the way I deliver that message, but I hope however it is delivered, it has the intended effect.

Glad to see I got some likes for that. I hope to instill the same lesson in my daughter when she's older. I don't know letting her hear Geddy roar it out will be the way I deliver that message, but I hope however it is delivered, it has the intended effect.

I think it helps in letting the person know they are not alone, nor have they been the first one to feel like that. I wish I had heard it in high school instead of wondering what was wrong with me.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Now I know this was originally Shakespeare but those words impacted me hearing it in the context of freewill. As a recovering Catholic, my home was often a place where I heard, "God will take care of it", "everything happens for a reason", "If it is meant to be, it will happen".

Bullshit. You're either making it happen or you're letting it pass you by. Apathy is a terrible thing. I have always driven to be better and, sadly, often failed. The only thing I have is the knowledge that I tried and everything I do have is not chance, I made it happen.

I have recently, I believe, failed again at something very important to me but I gave it my best. Today I am a bit sad but not regretting the fact that I didn't try.

Whoa. Sorry. I need a nap or something.

• Like 1

I don't know if this has changed my life, but its so true.

"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more"

• Like 2

Hmm, It guess this is much different than "what are your favorite lyrics"

I really love the lyrics to the old stuff, but I wouldnt say they had as much of a profound effect on me.

Marathon - Just makes me think everyday I am working toward a goal.

Available Light - I am very positive person " Chase the sun around the world, I want to look at life in the available light" I always look for the good in a situation

Witch Hunt - Lyrically its just awesome, over time I have really started to see how ridiculous people/media mob mentality.

In the Mood - This has been life changing. The pickup lines I have used from this song have been extremely effective. My wife still falls for them constantly

Time stand still - Life is good, every moment. Even though I am always looking forward to something that is going to happen in a week, or a year, it helps me to just slow down and enjoy the present moment

(hope everyone realizes me "in the mood" post was a joke :) )

Edited by tx_rush
  • Like 2

"If their lives were exotic and strange

They would likely have gladly exchanged them

For something a little more plain

Maybe something a little more sane

We each pay a fabulous price

For our visions of paradise

But a spirit with a vision is a dream

With a mission"

• Like 5

In a dog's life

A year is really more like seven

And all too soon a canine

Will be chasing cars in doggie heaven

• Like 6

In a dog's life

:rfl:

OMG why are you laughing? Now my feeeeeeelings are hurt.

In a dog's life

:rfl:

OMG why are you laughing? Now my feeeeeeelings are hurt.

:spitwater: :LMAO:

• Like 2

I don't know about changing me or anything, but every time I start to feel overwhelmed by life I hear this in my head:

Sometimes our big splashes

are just ripples in the pool...

It always helps me stop and look at things in perspective.

• Like 4

I don't know about changing me or anything, but every time I start to feel overwhelmed by life I hear this in my head:

Sometimes our big splashes

are just ripples in the pool...

It always helps me stop and look at things in perspective.

Rushchick got into Rush when she saw there was an album with a naked man on the cover! :joker:

• Like 1

It changes for me, depending on whatever I'm going through there will be a certain song that speaks to me at the right moment.

Right now it's these lyrics.

What is the meaning of this?

And the stars look down

What are you trying to do?

And the stars look down

Was it something I said?

And the stars look down

Like the rat in a maze who says

"Watch me choose my own direction"

Are you under the illusion

The path is winding your way?

Are you surprised by confusion

When it leads you astray?

Have you lived a lifetime today

Or do you feel like you just got carried away?

I've been wondering if anyone else here has been affected by a line or two (or more) penned by the one and only Neil?

I certainly have. Even now when I listen to lyrics that I've heard a million times before they can make me stop and think. At the very least it's nice to realize I'm not the only one thinking a certain way.

The Spirit of Radio is one of the first Rush songs I ever heard, and I heard it while young and naive enough to think I could affect what were songs heard on the radio if I became a DJ. It, as well as just learning more about the radio industry, taught me otherwise.

There's a line in Headlong Flight that made me think long as hard about life, and whether or not I'd relive my own life the same way if I had another chance. "I wish that I could live it all again." It's so simple, right? Things in my life now are pretty good (sometimes great), but there has been a lot of pain and loneliness in my life. If I were to relive my life, would I go through all that pain again, knowing I'd end up in a good place? Or would I rather take my chances and live a new life, hoping there'd be less pain along the way? Even now, I don't know the answer to that question.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 1

I certainly have. Even now when I listen to lyrics that I've heard a million times before they can make me stop and think. At the very least it's nice to realize I'm not the only one thinking a certain way.

The Spirit of Radio is one of the first Rush songs I ever heard, and I heard it while young and naive enough to think I could affect what were songs heard on the radio if I became a DJ. It, as well as just learning more about the radio industry, taught me otherwise.

There's a line in Headlong Flight that made me think long as hard about life, and whether or not I'd relive my own life the same way if I had another chance. "I wish that I could live it all again." It's so simple, right? Things in my life now are pretty good (sometimes great), but there has been a lot of pain and loneliness in my life. If I were to relive my life, would I go through all that pain again, knowing I'd end up in a good place? Or would I rather take my chances and live a new life, hoping there'd be less pain along the way? Even now, I don't know the answer to that question.

That's a tough question. I don't know what I would do myself. Some things in life you can only go through once.

I think Subdivisions was the first song, by any band, that lyrically had a profound effect on me, but there are others.

"struck between the eyes by the big time world

walking uneasy streets, hiding beneath the sheets

got to try and fill the void"

"Dreams don't need to have motion

to keep their spark alive

Obsession has to have action

Pride turns on the drive"

• Like 3

The Analog Kid

"When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find, and when I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind"

My Grad Quote.

This is a constant reminder for me to always look forward to the future, while making sure to appreciate the present before it becomes the past.

• Like 3

I have several that come to mind. They're pretty self-explanatory.

Cities full of hatred, fear and lies

Withered hearts and cruel, tormented eyes

Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise

Beating down the multitude and

Scoffing at the wise

-------

A simple kind of mirror

To reflect upon our own

All the busy little creatures

Chasing out their destinies

Living in their pools

They soon forget about the sea