Which popular song should not be on the R41 Tour?

yyz211282

Which one?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Tom Sawyer
    • Limelight
    • Closer to the Heart
    • YYZ
    • Spirit of Radio
    • Working Man
    • Dreamline
    • Subdivisions
    • La Villa Strangiato

and the folks voting for working man - do yall not like it loud or heavy??

No, it's not that. I for one can't deal with the stupid reggae intro. Otherwise the song is completely neutral to me.

I've strongly considered 2112 and Tom Sawyer, but I'm going to go for YYZ, given how clearly slowed down it was on the last tour.

It's funny how they pretend to be at the peak of their musicianship...

Subdivisions by a loooooooooooooooooooooooong shot for me. To those who say Tom Sawyer is old, tired and worn out I understand, but I must ask is Subdivisions not equally as worn out? The big difference to me is that Tom Sawyer is actually a GREAT song, whereas Subdivisions is very mediocre… one of the simplest, more boring songs the band has ever produced. Tom Sawyer is inarguably one of the best drum songs EVER. Period. Even Neil considers it (at least) one of his best songs. The guitar riffs and and solo are great as well, as is the bass. I can't name one great part within Subdivisions, except for possibly the lyrics, which I can read in the comfort of my own home whenever I want.

All that said, I would not complain one iota if Tom Sawyer was left off the setlist… unless it is left off in favor of Subdivisions. (or Dreamline)

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre

From a crowd reaction standpoint, you can't get rid of Spirit of Radio (gets crowd most into it), 2112, or Tom Sawyer. I went with Working Man because it is so tired and boring now and it doesn't really get the crowd into it. I could see Subdivisions getting the boot, especially if they flood us with the synth again. However, the one most likely not to be played is La Villa. It's definitely a song for the hardcore. But I sure as shit won't vote to miss that awesome song.

As much as I love SOR, I believe that it really only fits to start the show (or the encore). On Time Machine they played it as their opener, and it had a lot of energy and, well, spirit. When they stuck it right smack in the middle of a set for the Clockwork tour, it didn't really have that effect. For R41 I'd like to see Dreamline as the opener, and if they do play SOR, put it as the first encore song. Otherwise don't play it at all.

As much as I love SOR, I believe that it really only fits to start the show (or the encore). On Time Machine they played it as their opener, and it had a lot of energy and, well, spirit. When they stuck it right smack in the middle of a set for the Clockwork tour, it didn't really have that effect. For R41 I'd like to see Dreamline as the opener, and if they do play SOR, put it as the first encore song. Otherwise don't play it at all.

Actually, The Spirit of Radio closed the second set. Sure had plenty of energy to me.

From a crowd reaction standpoint, you can't get rid of Spirit of Radio (gets crowd most into it), 2112, or Tom Sawyer. I went with Working Man because it is so tired and boring now and it doesn't really get the crowd into it. I could see Subdivisions getting the boot, especially if they flood us with the synth again. However, the one most likely not to be played is La Villa. It's definitely a song for the hardcore. But I sure as shit won't vote to miss that awesome song.

yeah I was wondering why la villa was on here. it's popular with rush fans but it's not a hit

Actually, The Spirit of Radio closed the second set. Sure had plenty of energy to me.

agreed. people even looked up from their phones!

yeah I was wondering why la villa was on here. it's popular with rush fans but it's not a hit

La Villa is more of a live hit. I don't believe it's ever gotten much radio play but each time i've seen them play it live the crowd response is always great. It's not a hit in the traditional way but it's certainly a song most people at the shows know.

Subdivisions by a loooooooooooooooooooooooong shot for me. To those who say Tom Sawyer is old, tired and worn out I understand, but I must ask is Subdivisions not equally as worn out? The big difference to me is that Tom Sawyer is actually a GREAT song, whereas Subdivisions is very mediocre… one of the simplest, more boring songs the band has ever produced. Tom Sawyer is inarguably one of the best drum songs EVER. Period. Even Neil considers it (at least) one of his best songs. The guitar riffs and and solo are great as well, as is the bass. I can't name one great part within Subdivisions, except for possibly the lyrics, which I can read in the comfort of my own home whenever I want.

All that said, I would not complain one iota if Tom Sawyer was left off the setlist… unless it is left off in favor of Subdivisions. (or Dreamline)

At least you admitted the lyrics kick ass.

At least you admitted the lyrics kick ass.

:zzz: I'm sorry… did somebody say something? I was listening to Subdivisions to try and figure out some part of it actually worth mentioning and got bored to sleep…. oh no it's happening again… just talking and thinking about Subdivisions is making me slee…. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Dreamline could easily be taken out for me. It's a decent song, but not one of their best. I would honestly be heartbroken if they didn't play Tom Sawyer and YYZ. And I think that they should bring back Closer to the Heart at least just for this tour and then never again if they choose not to.

Imagine for a second that you are long time fan of rush but never had time, money, or the luck to see them live. You travel for 8 hours pay for your ticket, get to the show and no Tom Sawyer. I think it is easy for the "sophisticated rush fan" who has seen them 14 times to say I would rather hear anything else but TS, but get over yourself. it is regarded world wide as the #1 Rush song for a reason. It still kicks butt. My kids who are now Rush fans still love hearing it live as do I. Maybe you would rather hear available light or earthshine, but the majority of people in the arena would rather rock out to the hits and most especially TS.

I am huge fan and have been for almost 30 years. I have seen rush around 20 or so times and they could sing happy birthday and I would leave happy. Sure I have my non hit favs such as prime mover, resist, and how it is to name a few but I love the hits as well. more so for the fan reaction and the reaction of my 15 and 10 year old kids as they hear these classics for the first time live.

At the next tour my oldest daughter is going to see rush for the first time. She would be heart broken if they did not play TS. Think about that before you rant about this and scream that it is a tired old song.

• Like 2

Imagine for a second that you are long time fan of rush but never had time, money, or the luck to see them live. You travel for 8 hours pay for your ticket, get to the show and no Tom Sawyer. I think it is easy for the "sophisticated rush fan" who has seen them 14 times to say I would rather hear anything else but TS, but get over yourself. it is regarded world wide as the #1 Rush song for a reason. It still kicks butt. My kids who are now Rush fans still love hearing it live as do I. Maybe you would rather hear available light or earthshine, but the majority of people in the arena would rather rock out to the hits and most especially TS.

I am huge fan and have been for almost 30 years. I have seen rush around 20 or so times and they could sing happy birthday and I would leave happy. Sure I have my non hit favs such as prime mover, resist, and how it is to name a few but I love the hits as well. more so for the fan reaction and the reaction of my 15 and 10 year old kids as they hear these classics for the first time live.

At the next tour my oldest daughter is going to see rush for the first time. She would be heart broken if they did not play TS. Think about that before you rant about this and scream that it is a tired old song.

I'll never forget the first time I heard it on the Permanent Waves tour 1980. Paraphrasing of course "here's something from our upcoming new album". Who knew then what was about to happen with Moving Pictures?..... :)

And a middle finger to whomever voted for Subdivisions.

Since this hostile and unsocial behavior (tongue-in-cheek) is apparently so well accepted in these parts, I'll pass along a middle finger to those who voted for YYZ. YYZ is a song that epitomizes the unfathomable combination of precision, musicianship, songwriting, and chemistry that make RUSH the best rock band to have ever existed. To exclude this remarkably brilliant song from any RUSH setlist would be absolutely criminal.

• Like 1

As much as I'm tired of hearing Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio they do get the crowd kick started. I don't mind after about the first 2 seconds of the songs. Usually I'm so stoked to be seeing them that they could play the phone book and I wouldn't complain.

I hope they don't read TRF. It would dishearten them. For sure and certain, opinions, and strong ones at that, we do not lack. :LOL:

Oh, I'm sure they would be both disheartened and freaked out to know what we say, and how much we pick apart everything they do :scared:

• Like 1

The Garden

Are you stupid? Its not even in the list....

Don't get your panties in a bunch, sweetheart. I bow to no list. The Garden (for some unknown reason) is a wildly popular song of theirs, and I think it sucks. Therefore, I don't want to see it played on the next tour. Maybe instead of getting bitchy with me, you should get bitchy at the TS for not including it on the list, or at least giving us an "Other" choice.

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 1

Please no more Subdivisions. Pllleeeassseeee cast it out.
  • Like 2