Top Ten Classic Metal Albums

Steevo

According to Guitar World...how many of these do you agree with for your ten? Silly to rank them at this high level but there you go.

I'm pulling out Lizzy, Slayer, Motorhead and Met for me here. Maiden, Priest and AC/DC have superior albums to those which I would also include.

10. UFO — Strangers in the Night (1979) Thousands of guitarists would happily trade their frontal lobes today for Michael Schenker's full-throated, wah-inflected tone, and Strangers in the Night is a major reason why.

09. Thin Lizzy — Jailbreak (1976) On Jailbreak, the dueling Les Pauls of Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson filigreed Phil Lynott's finest songs with gorgeous harmony leads, forging a melodic brand of metal whose soulful swagger remains unrivaled.

08. Slayer — Reign In Blood (1986) With 10 blinding tracks crammed into 29 minutes, this album set new standards for metallic speed and heaviness; songs like "Postmortem" and "Angel of Death" took the darkness of vintage Sabbath and magnified it tenfold.

07. Motörhead — Ace of Spades (1980) Lemmy himself claims there have been better Motörhead records, but none swings harder or packs a meaner thrust than this. So hot it could have been pressed on rawhide, Spades remains the band's definitive statement.

06. Metallica — Master of Puppets (1986) Hetfield's pile-driving chords, Hammett's rapid-fire solos and Burton's "lead bass" are hear to brilliant effect here, while "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" proved that the band's melodicism on 1984's "Fade to Black" was no mere fluke.

05. Judas Priest — British Steel (1980) Over three decades of musical partnership, Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing had virtually defined the phrase "twin guitar attack," and their chemistry was never more potent than on British Steel.

04. Iron Maiden — The Number of the Beast (1982) Christian groups decried the band's use of satanic imagery on this, but in reality, the most demonic (and influential) things on the record were the rippling leads of Dave Murray and Adrian Smith.

03. Guns N' Roses — Appetite For Destruction (1987) The surprise success of Appetite for Destruction single-handedly reversed the course of Eighties metal — out went spandex, pointy headstocks and lame party anthems, and in came tattoos, Les Pauls and badass attitudes.

02. AC/DC — Highway To Hell (1979) Frontman Bon Scott penned the most depraved songs of his notorious career for Highway To Hell, then went and drank himself to death. Back In Black sold more, but Highway is still the purest distillation of AC/DC's electric

01. Black Sabbath — Paranoid (1970) A landmark event in the annals of hearing loss, Paranoid is loud, brutal, angry, hilarious, scary, mildly retarded and gut-churningly heavy — in short, everything you'd want from a great heavy metal record. While "Electric Funeral" might be kind of a lame metaphor for nuclear holocaust, "War Pigs," "Iron Man," "Fairies Wear Boots" and the hard-charging title track are still remarkably fresh an potent decades on.

• Like 2

I am mighty impressed Highway is on the list, instead of Back In Black! lol refreshing, even if they are so not metal ;)

This is one of those lists that can be changed and re-arranged hundreds of different ways. No way it can be limited to only ten hahaha

But I like the choices on here. Well, besides Guns N Roses. But that's just because I find Axl to be a whiny bitch and I like Slash's post-GNR work much more. Just me.

Edited by hobo73
  • Like 1

3) Megadeth -- Rust in Peace

Mustaine deserves a nod, and the first two tracks on here are among the best things he's ever come up with.

2) Aerosmith -- Rocks

Don't tell me an album with Nobody's Fault and Back in the Saddle "isn't metal."

1) Jethro Tull -- Crest of a Knave

Obviously.

• Like 3

3) Megadeth -- Rust in Peace

Mustaine deserves a nod, and the first two tracks on here are among the best things he's ever come up with.

2) Aerosmith -- Rocks

Don't tell me an album with Nobody's Fault and Back in the Saddle "isn't metal."

1. My FAVE Megadeth album, and

2. NOBODY'S FAULT IS FANTASTIC IN EVERY WAY. f***ing AMAZING.

• Like 1

If they're putting live albums in there like UFO's Strangers in the Night, then they surely have to put in Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, Priest's Unleashed in the East and so on. Either it's studio albums or it's live albums, otherwise it's not fair to compare.
  • Like 1

If they're putting live albums in there like UFO's Strangers in the Night, then they surely have to put in Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, Priest's Unleashed in the East and so on. Either it's studio albums or it's live albums, otherwise it's not fair to compare.

:goodone: :heart:

:goodone: :heart:

:hi:

:blaze:

• Like 1

Id take out Lizzy, UFO and GNR ...

I dont consider Lizzy to be true Metal, same with UFO

I'm sick of seeing GNR on these lists...Appetite was a good album for that time, but they are the most overrated band EVER!

• Like 2

I've never listened to the entirety of Paranoid, HTH, Ace of Spades (only one song off of the his album) or UFO entry (none actually).

Is Tull metal?

On that list you must have:

Operation Mindcrime

Rust in Peace

Is Tull metal?

It's an In-joke. Crest of a Knave won the 1988 Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal album. Metallica weren't too happy.

• Like 3

According to Guitar World...how many of these do you agree with for your ten?

I don't consider UFO, Thin Lizzy, or GNR to be metal. AC/DC is probably more hard rock, but Highway to Hell was definitely a "gateway" album for me back when it was released.

For my personal list I would also add Fear Factory's Demanufacture/Remanufacture, Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black, and I'd sneak in another album for both Metallica (Ride the Lightning) and Maiden (Piece of Mind).

Given the context of that list, I might have vied for either of Ozzy's first two solo albums.

Ooh good call. Take out Sabbath then.

No! Thin Lizzy, Slayer, Motorhead, but not Sabbath? One of those three is getting the boot before Paranoid.

seriously. who the hell says "take out sabbath" on a list of classic metal albums

• Like 3

Given the context of that list, I might have vied for either of Ozzy's first two solo albums.

No! Thin Lizzy, Slayer, Motorhead, but not Sabbath? One of those three is getting the boot before Paranoid.

seriously. who the hell says "take out sabbath" on a list of classic metal albums

No shit.
  • Like 2

Is Tull metal?

It's an In-joke. Crest of a Knave won the 1988 Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal album. Metallica weren't too happy.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OFB77AN7QoI/UPMzoT3DA9I/AAAAAAAANhs/twxCI_ZF_cE/s1600/Jethro%2BTull%2BHeavy%2BMetal%2BAward%2Bflute.jpg
  • Like 6

No shit.

I've played the song live many times...thank God Ozzy left them. I've never made it through an entire album. I know...I suck

No shit.

I've played the song live many times...thank God Ozzy left them. I've never made it through an entire album. I know...I suck

:LOL: