Top Ten Classic Metal Albums

Steevo

with metal constantly evolving, will we reach a point where even priest and maiden are looked at as merely "hard rock" because metal's gotten so extreme?

will there come a day when slayer is what some folks would call pussy music?

with metal constantly evolving, will we reach a point where even priest and maiden are looked at as merely "hard rock" because metal's gotten so extreme?

You know, I've wondered this myself. And I could totally see it happening.

I never considered any of "my music" metal. 70's and very early 80's AC/DC, UFO, Priest, Scorpions etc. I always considered that hard rock or back in the mid to late 70's acid rock.... :huh:
  • Like 1

I always thought "acid rock" was like, a term that lumped together space rock, jam bands, far out hippie shit, etc.

I remember AC/DC in the mid 70's being referred to with that label. The High Voltage/Let There Be Rock days anyway....
  • Like 1

10. Powerslave

9. Operation Mindcrime

8. Appetite

7. Abigail, KING DIAMOND

6. No Exit, FATES WARNING

5. Paranoid

4. # of the Beast

3. Back in Black

2. Puppets

1. Blizzard

• Like 1

I always thought "acid rock" was like, a term that lumped together space rock, jam bands, far out hippie shit, etc.

Back in the 70s it referred to bands like Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Hendrix, etc. I don't know if it got that name because it was stuff that apparently sounded really great while under the influence, or because the artists were under the influence, or both. All I know is the first time I did LSD in '79 I went home and listened to one side of Physical Graffiti over and over and over because it was the Best. Thing. Ever.

Ah, Wikipedia has a quote from one of the Grateful Dead saying "acid rock is what you listen to when you are high on acid." So I guess in that case it could be anything.

Slayer = The Eagles of old school Metal

Ah, Wikipedia has a quote from one of the Grateful Dead saying "acid rock is what you listen to when you are high on acid." So I guess in that case it could be anything.

My hubby said Chicago's CTA album is amazing when you're tripping on acid lmao. That, and Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants.

I, uh....never tried acid, but I know of some great "shroom music" ;)

Given the context of that list, I might have vied for either of Ozzy's first two solo albums.

Ooh good call. Take out Sabbath then.

No! Thin Lizzy, Slayer, Motorhead, but not Sabbath? One of those three is getting the boot before Paranoid.

seriously. who the hell says "take out sabbath" on a list of classic metal albums

No shit.

I've played the song live many times...thank God Ozzy left them. I've never made it through an entire album. I know...I suck

Humor me brother. Pay attention particularly to track 3 (Planet Caravan), track 7 (Rat Salad) and track 8 (Fairies Wear Boots). That, including the 3 I know you know, brings the number of brilliant songs on this album up to 6. And the other 2 are pretty damn good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgMaWsJcRM

• Like 3

Given the context of that list, I might have vied for either of Ozzy's first two solo albums.

No! Thin Lizzy, Slayer, Motorhead, but not Sabbath? One of those three is getting the boot before Paranoid.

seriously. who the hell says "take out sabbath" on a list of classic metal albums

No shit.

I've played the song live many times...thank God Ozzy left them. I've never made it through an entire album. I know...I suck

Humor me brother. Pay attention particularly to track 3 (Planet Caravan), track 7 (Rat Salad) and track 8 (Fairies Wear Boots). That, including the 3 I know you know, brings the number of brilliant songs on this album up to 6. And the other 2 are pretty damn good too.

I bought this cd today because I wanted to see what I was missing.

I get that it's groundbreaking. As I listened to it I realized I've originally heard all these songs before by other artists. I prefer them to the originals. Speak of The Devil was my first exposure Sabbath. Iommi may have invented these riffs but I prefer the reinterpreted versions. Call me crazy. Funny thing is that I've played more than half the album with various bands I've joined.

Bill Ward is fantastic as is Geezer (though I hate his tone). Ozzy's solo work holds more of a sacred place for me than his early work, I guess because of the musicianship and overall production superiority. I actually enjoy the Dio version of Sabbath more so than this, though I cannot deny the power of this original work.

I'll keep it in the rotation and get back to you

No shit.

I get that it's groundbreaking. As I listened to it I realized I've originally heard all these songs before by other artists. I prefer them to the originals. Speak of The Devil was my first exposure Sabbath. Iommi may have invented these riffs but I prefer the reinterpreted versions. Call me crazy. Funny thing is that I've played more than half the album with various bands I've joined.

Bill Ward is fantastic as is Geezer (though I hate his tone). Ozzy's solo work holds more of a sacred place for me than his early work, I guess because of the musicianship and overall production superiority. I actually enjoy the Dio version of Sabbath more so than this, though I cannot deny the power of this original work.

I love Speak of the Devil. I love Ozzy's first two solo albums as well, and I enjoy something about all his stuff. And my two favorite Sabbath albums are Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. But this is a lightning in a bottle album. Which is why I said you can't have Slayer or Motörhead (disclosure: I don't like either band) over this album on a 10 best metal albums list.

• Like 1

No shit.

I love Speak of the Devil. I love Ozzy's first two solo albums as well, and I enjoy something about all his stuff. And my two favorite Sabbath albums are Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. But this is a lightning in a bottle album. Which is why I said you can't have Slayer or Motörhead (disclosure: I don't like either band) over this album on a 10 best metal albums list.

Well said. Reign in Blood is a fantastic album by Slayer...not a thrash fan?

No shit.

Well said. Reign in Blood is a fantastic album by Slayer...not a thrash fan?

Not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

early sabbath's the best I think. SBS and sabotage are great, as are heaven and hell and mob rules, but sometimes I don't always want f***ing keyboards and that super glossy production that rush fans are obsessed with.

sometimes I like rock n roll to be raw, primal, heavy, evil sounding. we know the guys in sabbath aren't evil and they're really just rich harmless old men, but those first 4 albums, especially the first 3, still sound menacing (even when they're singing about the good lord above, kinda like another band from the 80s called TROUBLE, who sound a lot like sabbath, but none of you'd like em)

• Like 1

Any metal list like this without Rust in Peace on it is crap.

Anybody else like Seasons in the Abyss better than Reign in Blood?

Nothing like a little War Ensemble to start the day!

EDIT: Also honorable mention: Vulgar Display of Power by Pantera for the list.

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

too many classics out there for pantera to be on the top 10 I think. and my favorite slayer's show no mercy or hell awaits. raw production and show no mercy's got enough maiden/priest/venom influence to give it a different vibe from slayer's other records

Those of us old enough to remember know that back in the day AC/DC, UFO, Lizzy etc were considered "Metal".

Correct.

Heavy Metal was what it was called from the outset. I'm talking early 70s, Zep, Sabbath were called "Heavy Metal Rock" and I believe the term originated in the States. I'm not interested in what these youngsters say, metal, for me, will forever be associated with those 70s bands, even some Prog ones like Rush.

Oh, and back in the day, Hard Rock, Heavy Rock and Heavy Metal were practically interchangeable.

What a time the 70s was for Heavy Metal live albums:

All The World's A Stage, Live and Dangerous, Strangers In The Night, Double Live Gonzo, Tokyo Tapes, Unleashed In The East, If You Want Blood to name but a few...

• Like 3

What a time the 70s was for Heavy Metal live albums:

All The World's A Stage, Live and Dangerous, Strangers In The Night, Double Live Gonzo, Tokyo Tapes, Unleashed In The East, If You Want Blood to name but a few...

Amen. Got'em all and the vinyl is worn....
  • Like 1