AMAZING debut albums

custom55

I saw people break away and name 3rd and forth albums so.....why not.

Prince-Dirty Mind.

He had 2 albums prior......but they don't exist to me. Dirty mind is where the Prince we know emerged. This to me is his true debut......Don't care, lol

Mick

You could say the same for Bowie. He had a few including Space Oddity but Man Who Sold The World is where it all starts for me.

• Like 1

all the way up to seven or eight or so's pretty easy, but amazing ninth albums????? off the top of my head I can't think of any except signals

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Into The Great Wide Open

IM - Fear of the Dark

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (UK),Beggar's Banquet (US)

Backspacer was the debut album for Pearl Jam? Am I missing something here because I just don't think that is so.

all the way up to seven or eight or so's pretty easy, but amazing ninth albums????? off the top of my head I can't think of any except signals

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

IM - Fear of the Dark

Backspacer was the debut album for Pearl Jam? Am I missing something here because I just don't think that is so.

read the post he quoted

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

IM - Fear of the Dark

read the post he quoted

Ok gotcha. Smiles

Child Is Father To The Man - Blood Sweat and Tears

Ars Nova - Ars Nova

there's a japanese ars nova who are pretty good too, really ELP sounding. never heard the US ars nova

See if you can find it. Google Fields of People or Pavan For My Lady or How Am I To Know - those are the only three songs I can remember right now. The album came out in 1968 (maybe very late '67).

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking-Roger Waters.

Found this thing at a yard sale. Wore it out, lol

Mick

As far as album covers featuring naked bums, I have to admit a certain fondness for that one. Much better than the Hemispheres and Going for the One album covers.

Wuzzy - Funeral Dress

Wire - Pink Flag

The Wedding Present - George Best

Verve - A Storm In Heaven

Van Halen - Van Halen

Twin Shadow - Forget

Tool - Undertow

Tom Waits - Closing Time

Terence Trent D'Arby - Introducing The Hard Line...

Television - Marquee Moon

Swervedriver - Raise

Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega

Suede - Suede

The Smiths - The Smiths

Ride - Nowhere

Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

P J Harvey - Dry

Pearl Jam - Ten

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear

Magazine - Real Life

Leon Redbone - On The Track

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Kiss - Kiss

Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid

Jane's Addiction - Jane's Addiction

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy

Gov't Mule - Gov't Mule

Gang Of Four - Entertainment!

Fugazi - 13 Songs

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome

Foals - Antidotes

Fly Golden Eagle - Swagger

The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms

Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians - Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars

deLillos - Suser Avgårde

David Lee Roth - Eat 'Em And Smile

The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge

Catherine Wheel - Ferment

Bran Van 3000 - Glee

Balck Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Bjørk - Debut

Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill

Baroness - Red Album

APB - Something To Believe In

Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer?

Alice In Chains - Facelift

• Like 1

Third Eye Blind- s/t 10/10

Boston- s/t 7/10

Lacuna Coil- In A Reverie 8/10

Nightwish- Angels Fall First 7.5/10

Kansas- s/t 7/10

Styx- s/t 7/10

Toto- s/t 8/10

The Doors- s/t 10/10

The Juliana Theory- Understand This Is A Dream 9/10

Texas Is The Reason- Do You Know Who You Are? 10/10

Sunny Day Real Estate- Diary 8/10

Rites Of Spring- s/t 10/10

Foreigner- s/t 8/10

Jeff Buckley- Grace 10/10

Bruce Springsteen- Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. 9/10

Yes- s/t 8/10

Alter Bridge- One Day Remains 8/10

Emerson Lake And Palmer- s/t 7/10

H.I.M.- Greatest Lovesongs 7/10

Mineral- The Power Of Falling 9/10

Copeland- Beneath Medicine Tree 9/10

Trillion- s/t 10/10

• Like 1

amazing sixth albums?

AC/DC - Back in Black (I'm guessing now, but I think I'm right)

It's #7, (not including live).

High Voltage

TNT

Dirty Deeds

Let There Be Rock

Powerage

Highway to Hell

Makes me compare AC/DC to RUSH in terms of strings of seminal albums.

I think TNT is an import though, no? Isn't the song TNT on High Voltage here in the U.S.?

amazing sixth albums?

High Voltage

TNT

Dirty Deeds

Let There Be Rock

Powerage

Highway to Hell

I think TNT is an import though, no? Isn't the song TNT on High Voltage here in the U.S.?

aren't TNT and high voltage the same anyway?

There have been a few times I have loved a band and thought "I have to get their first album!" Then I listen to it and think "what the hell?" Of couse, sometimes over time those albums grow on me, too.

edit: for me it's usually because I'm so used to a band's sound/style of a certain time, but their first album reflects a different vibe altogether. I'm thinking of Genesis, Yes, and Tull among a few others.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Went for a run this morning and listened to Appetite for Destruction. For some context, listen to some Giuffria, Winger, Kix and White Lion. That's what was everywhere when Appetite dropped.

yeah, you can listen to that album and tell that these guys actually met and wrote these songs. winger sounds like they were put together in a board room by record execs, and the guys playing are actually nameless, soulless androids created in a factory just to make $$.

amazing sixth albums?

High Voltage

TNT

Dirty Deeds

Let There Be Rock

Powerage

Highway to Hell

aren't TNT and high voltage the same anyway?

Sort of. I have all of these with the exception of TNT. High Voltage has 6 or 7 of the same songs on it as TNT does and TNT has a few on it that High Voltage doesn't. As rabid as I was back in the day I am surprised myself that I don't have TNT. TNT was released only in Australia which explains why I don't have it most likely. I do have quite a few cool imports form my fav bands back in the day but not that one unfortunately. The last album I bought by them of course was Back In Black...

Edit: To Goose's point however it was a damn strong run no doubt with LTBR being my all time favorite. Kicks @ss all the way through....

Edited by Narpsberg

Went for a run this morning and listened to Appetite for Destruction. For some context, listen to some Giuffria, Winger, Kix and White Lion. That's what was everywhere when Appetite dropped.

yeah, you can listen to that album and tell that these guys actually met and wrote these songs. winger sounds like they were put together in a board room by record execs, and the guys playing are actually nameless, soulless androids created in a factory just to make $$.

I don't hear any evidence soul in the music of Guns n Roses. I think they sound like a beefier Cinderella.

Don't get me wrong. I love my hair metal. But the bands all started to sound a little too much alike, and started to look a little too much like girls. And then came that video with the cops in Westwood bull whipping a crowd, and that cousin It guitarist with the nasty sound.

I don't hear any evidence soul in the music of Guns n Roses. I think they sound like a beefier Cinderella.

Roseanna and Africa have "soul?" I'd rather listen to Chinese Democracy than the 12 best Toto tracks.

• Like 1

Roseanna and Africa have "soul?" I'd rather listen to Chinese Democracy than the 12 best Toto tracks.

Dude drop it...we all know Toto are the tru masters of metal. Stop denying it.