The Incredible, under rated Mr. Alex Lifeson.

tas7

Alex is under rated because people don't understand his genius. Hendrix, Van Halen, Stevie Ray, etc. shove it down your throat. They're obviously good and you'd have to be an idiot to miss it.

Alex's genius is a little left of center.Plus in a band where everybody shines, often at the same time, his playing can be missed if you're not paying attention. His genius lies in subtlety, finding where tones are lacking or filling voids, harmonies tones, making the odd seem normal. How many people can write a song with constantly changing time signatures and make it radio friendly to the point where people don't even notice the time signatures. Limelight constantly revolves through 4/4, 3/4, 6/8 and 7/8 time signatures and flows beautifully.

He does get under rated but only by people who have never tried to play it.

The quote from BTLS sticks in my head. He said something like he found it difficult to find a place in those Power Windows songs. But he found some really interesting places. Playing most of those songs live in recent tours had made me really appreciate Power Windows, and especially the really interesting guitar work. I am currently obsessed with Grand Designs. That song was really elevated by seeing it live. I really love the guitar work in Marathon, Territories, and Middletown Dreams. Edited by Slack jaw gaze

Alex is under rated because people don't understand his genius. Hendrix, Van Halen, Stevie Ray, etc. shove it down your throat. They're obviously good and you'd have to be an idiot to miss it.

Alex's genius is a little left of center.Plus in a band where everybody shines, often at the same time, his playing can be missed if you're not paying attention. His genius lies in subtlety, finding where tones are lacking or filling voids, harmonies tones, making the odd seem normal. How many people can write a song with constantly changing time signatures and make it radio friendly to the point where people don't even notice the time signatures. Limelight constantly revolves through 4/4, 3/4, 6/8 and 7/8 time signatures and flows beautifully.

He does get under rated but only by people who have never tried to play it.

The quote from BTLS sticks in my head. He said something like he found it difficult to find a place in those Power Windows songs. But he found some really interesting places. Playing most of those songs live in recent tours had made me really appreciate Power Windows, and especially the really interesting guitar work. I am currently obsessed with Grand Designs. That song was really elevated by seeing it live. I really love the guitar work in Marathon, Territories, and Middletown Dreams.

I agree completely. Due to hearing the songs in this last tour I really love Power Windows now. When I hear the songs in my mind I hear how they sounded live. I was bummed for a long time because Alex wasn't upfront and center with his guitar work but now after time has passed I can really appreciate what he's done and how his guitar playing has changed over the years.

As I've said previously said it's those syncopated , off the beat riffs such as in Jacob's Ladder after, "All at once..." or after the guitar solo in La Villa that are a lot harder than any shredding because of the crazy time signatures . Edited by tas7

It's not his precise cutting rhythm guitar or his soaring solos that amaze me but those crazy time signature, syncopated riffs that are his trade mark such as in Jacob's Ladder after, "All at once..." or after the solo in La Villa Stangiato.

My absolute favorite Alex Lifeson moment is that exact part in Jacob's Ladder. I've never heard anyone else say this. Its good to hear someone else here's the beautiful melodic soulful riff in that part. It's so ambient with so much feel.

The reality is Rush is Rush because of Alex. There's no way they ever would have made it to this legendary point without him whereas I think they might have made it without Neil,or geddy. He takes odd times signature and comes up with something accessible. A freaking genius

He's not the fastest, not the most technical and not the most innovative, but he has the best tone and most emotion and soul in his playing . No one can touch him

• Like 1

It's not his precise cutting rhythm guitar or his soaring solos that amaze me but those crazy time signature, syncopated riffs that are his trade mark such as in Jacob's Ladder after, "All at once..." or after the solo in La Villa Stangiato.

My absolute favorite Alex Lifeson moment is that exact part in Jacob's Ladder. I've never heard anyone else say this. Its good to hear someone else here's the beautiful melodic soulful riff in that part. It's so ambient with so much feel.

The reality is Rush is Rush because of Alex. There's no way they ever would have made it to this legendary point without him whereas I think they might have made it without Neil,or geddy. He takes odd times signature and comes up with something accessible. A freaking genius

He's not the fastest, not the most technical and not the most innovative, but he has the best tone and most emotion and soul in his playing . No one can touch him

:tsk:

All three need each other. And... I'm sorry... without Geddy? No chance.

• Like 2

Yeah, not so much on the bolded there, LMTA. But the rest of it is spot-on! :yes:

Edited by GeddysMullet

Alex' playing is a 1970 HEMI charger with red velour interior. He managed to circumnavigate the fist pumping , testosterone shredding late 80's with suspeded chords and harmonics . While everyone else was tapping and hammering and pulling off he was sustaining and strumming and never boring. The Synth era saved Rush from a quick hair metal death as maligned as it is by fans . He didn't self distruct or suffer a alcohol induced quackery nor did he bore us with million note modal pyrotechnics .

The first thing I noticed in Rush was the drumming.

Then the bass.

Then the vocals.

Then I 'woke up' the Alex's god damn amazing guitar playing and thought 'how the hell did I miss this".

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 1

I used to like Geddy until he started expressing himself as a "Joe Cool" primadonna.

Despite the wonders he plays, I admire him by the sounds he create the effects he develop

He is like a sonic scientific

Take Grace underpressure sound... chas! its a Clean distortion

Which is impossible

Then Power Windows guitar sound so Clean but strong! Big money and Manhattan project, is not acoustic Clean, its something else something very strong,"the big bang took and shook the world" only he can craft that

Later PRESTO sound...chain lightning...guitar sparks like a broken glass...I ve never heard anyone...ANYONE...create those effects...still wows me

If you are an electric guitar player you will understand what I mean.

• Like 1

The first thing I noticed in Rush was the drumming.

Then the bass.

Then the vocals.

Then I 'woke up' the Alex's god damn amazing guitar playing and thought 'how the hell did I miss this".

I almost commented on the OP first, and then decided to read the thread carefully to see if there'd be precisely the sentiment I found in your comment. I believe this is precisely why the perception is -- and to a certain extent the reality -- that he is underrated. An awful lot of fans like myself digested the band first as "the band with the best drummer". Then later we got into discussions about Geddy's superior bass skills and/or the fact that he did the key/bass thing live.

In this sense, it is exactly because Dirk and the Professor got such heavy props from the teeny rockgod zines that Rush's guitar got lost in the perceptual Lerxst.

Speaking of the Professor, in this respect, Lerxst has gotten the Mary Ann treatment. My guess would be that the typical fan was an adolescent male, the likes of who found Ginger's mainstream glamour more attractive than Mary Ann until they got older and realized Mary Ann was the hottest thing on legs. Poor analogy, I know. Sorry. Geddy is Ginger!! :mwah:

Alex makes the band. Without him, the others would not have shined as brightly as they did, which kind of makes his RRHoF speech profound in retrospect.

• Like 1

I used to like Geddy until he started expressing himself as a "Joe Cool" primadonna.

?

?

I don't get this either. Of all the people in the world I would say Geddy is at the bottom of that list.

I've been playing guitar for thirty years now (gulp), and I can honestly say that the further I have gone into music, the more I appreciate Alex's playing. In my teens I wanted to play a million notes a second and be flash and stand out. Alex's biggest abiity is to write complex, emotive, and intellectual pieces for the guitar and position himself within the music, whether just to serve the song, to embolden another player's work, or to stand out and shine. Not many guitarists are able to move so well within the context of a piece of music.

You can talk about Van Halen, great for sure, but his playing is always at one level - in your face.

Same with so many others.

Hendrix was master of the art of positioning himself. I believe that Alex is too, and, for anyone who disagrees, I would suggest they play some of his music themselves to really understand how extraordinary so many of his parts are even without any other backing, let alone with the other instrumentation.

Plus, I will kick anyone's arse who says he's not good. Because I am very hard.

• Like 2

I've been playing guitar for thirty years now (gulp), and I can honestly say that the further I have gone into music, the more I appreciate Alex's playing. In my teens I wanted to play a million notes a second and be flash and stand out. Alex's biggest abiity is to write complex, emotive, and intellectual pieces for the guitar and position himself within the music, whether just to serve the song, to embolden another player's work, or to stand out and shine. Not many guitarists are able to move so well within the context of a piece of music.

You can talk about Van Halen, great for sure, but his playing is always at one level - in your face.

Hendrix was master of the art of positioning himself. I believe that Alex is too, and, for anyone who disagrees, I would suggest they play some of his music themselves to really understand how extraordinary so many of his parts are even without any other backing, let alone with the other instrumentation.

I've brought this up before, but I really think Van Halen gets a bad rap .. Eddie has always played for the song with his flash thrown in for good measure.. Not sure why everyone picks on him so much.. Guys like Vai and Satriani are more self indulgent, in your face style players than Eddie..

It's not Eddies fault a slew of guys ripped off his style and forgot how to write songs.

Edited by Xanadoood

I've brought this up before, but I really think Van Halen gets a bad rap .. Eddie has always played for the song with his flash thrown in for good measure.. Not sure why everyone picks on him so much.. Guys like Vai and Satriani are more self indulgent, in your face style players than Eddie..

It's not Eddies fault a slew of guys ripped off his style and forgot how to write songs.

I think you hit the nail on the head. So many people have copied Eddie's style that it's become a parody now.

I think you hit the nail on the head. So many people have copied Eddie's style that it's become a parody now.

DOn't get me wrong. I like VH. My point was that he is the total driving force of the music and, at least not until the late 80s, did he ever sit back and let his playing breath in other players' spaces. It's his own style, which is cool, but I don't see him as a "listener" in any way. Maybe that's why he can't jam with other people.

Plus, Alex is harder than Eddie.

You really wouldnt know it by The Police, but Andy Summers can shred.

I don't know man, I watched the DVD from the Police Reunion Tour from '07 and he was pretty terrible live. Sting and Copeland were on FIRE but Summers wasn't very good at all.

?

I don't get this either. Of all the people in the world I would say Geddy is at the bottom of that list.

I see the "joe cool" thing in his fashion only, but primadonna? Never!

One of the biggest reasons I love this band is because they're the humblest rock stars you'll ever find!

Not sure if others are like this too but personalities have a huge impact on how much I like artists.. It might even partly be the reason I stopped listening to Kiss and Aerosmith decades ago..

• Like 1

?

One of the biggest reasons I love this band is because they're the humblest rock stars you'll ever find!

Not sure if others are like this too but personalities have a huge impact on how much I like artists.. It might even partly be the reason I stopped listening to Kiss and Aerosmith decades ago..

Well, I think Geddy has mellowed with age, but Rush were definitley somewhat elitist music snobs back in the day.. There's that clip from around 79,80, in the studio, where Geddy talks about bands going back to basics " cause all they know are the basics" .. In a very condescending tone.. Rush were Prog snobs

?

Well, I think Geddy has mellowed with age, but Rush were definitley somewhat elitist music snobs back in the day.. There's that clip from around 79,80, in the studio, where Geddy talks about bands going back to basics " cause all they know are the basics" .. In a very condescending tone.. Rush were Prog snobs

I remember that interview. I always took that comment to mean that he felt that a lot of musicians were sort of resting on their laurels and not trying to improve technically as musicians. Just playing basic three or four chord songs. AC/DC comes to mind. Nothing wrong with it if that's all you want to do as a musician. (A lot of simple basic music is popular) Nothing wrong with trying to improve. I think that's one reason why they're still around today is that they've always looked forward and try to push themselves. It's always a challenge for them.